Ron Pratte selling his entire collection!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, this is going to be some liquidation sale. I might have to go to BJ in January just to see the car show!

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...e-collection-including-futurliner/?refer=news

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
At one time, he had at least 2 GTs. I ended up with one of them-- a blue 05 I later sold.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Classic. He comes into the hobby a mere 10 years ago overpaying for nearly everything he bought and now he wants out. Exactly the type of person we don't need in the hobby.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Never publicly showed his collection. Don't need those types either. OTOH, one commenter claims much of his overpaying was for cars that were auctioned for charity. If true, that's cool.

I'm bidding $50K on the Futurliner. That's my limit.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm bidding $50K on the Futurliner. That's my limit.

I'm in for another $50k. We can be partners in our new Futureliner RV.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
OTOH, one commenter claims much of his overpaying was for cars that were auctioned for charity. If true, that's cool.

It is true. Almost all of his purchases of modern vehicles (e.g., GT500 #1, etc) were all charity auctions. He often donated the car immediately back to the seller for sale at the next auction. In one auction the car sold three times in the same auction back to back. He was quite generous.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I recall that the blue car i ended up with he bought very early at BJ and paid close to $400K with much of the money going to charity.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Always saw him in front row at BJ on TV, lording over the spectacle

BJ ad-nauseum would relish how he was buying x, y, z

Seems like a round-trip form trailer to trailer.

Never seemed like a car-guy....just a prop.

Last edited:

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
I was fortunate to get a private tour of the collection several months ago. It is truly mind boggeling. Where to start...was it the cars, the planes, the minatures, the helos, or the automotive artifacts that spun my mind? All perfect. Or was it the surgically clean facility with persian rugs and secluded entertainment areas. At the time there was a single Gt present. Tungsten. Clearly Ron enjoys Ford products as there was one of nearly every performance model and engine examples as well. I think we will be hard pressed to ever see a collection quite like this again. Is there a similar private collection that exists on this scale?

Tom

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I was fortunate to get a private tour of the collection several months ago. It is truly mind boggeling. Where to start...was it the cars, the planes, the minatures, the helos, or the automotive artifacts that spun my mind? All perfect. Or was it the surgically clean facility with persian rugs and secluded entertainment areas. At the time there was a single Gt present. Tungsten. Clearly Ron enjoys Ford products as there was one of nearly every performance model and engine examples as well. I think we will be hard pressed to ever see a collection quite like this again. Is there a similar private collection that exists on this scale?

Tom
Leno?

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Can't wait to see the list.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
it is gonna be epic

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
i want the supersnake, maybe in the next life...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Video preview

[video=vimeo;103309553]http://vimeo.com/103309553[/video]

Note that was his GM bus at SEMA (unless there's more than one :) )

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I doubt that was his future liner. The show "bitchin rides" kindig it designs, just featured restoring one. Featured the jet engine and all

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I doubt that was his future liner. The show "bitchin rides" kindig it designs, just featured restoring one. Featured the jet engine and all

Not sure if it was his but his is for sale

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Medi...attes-1950-futurliner-at-2015-barrett-jackson

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Classic. He comes into the hobby a mere 10 years ago overpaying for nearly everything he bought and now he wants out. Exactly the type of person we don't need in the hobby.

Gentlemen,

I certainly don't think Ron Pratt is due any criticism. I have run into him at BJ but other than that I don't know him at all. But the guy has given millions of dollars to charity, has opened his collection for other fundraising events, and bought most of these cars at auctions bidding against other collectors. What on earth is there to get upset about here? Whether he is selling for health reasons or just wants to do something else is his business. He made his money in our competitive free market and spent it the same way. I wish him well and I appreciate his buying a bunch of charity auction cars at way above market prices for good causes. Cheers.

Chip

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Gentlemen,

I certainly don't think Ron Pratt is due any criticism. I have run into him at BJ but other than that I don't know him at all. But the guy has given millions of dollars to charity, has opened his collection for other fundraising events, and bought most of these cars at auctions bidding against other collectors. What on earth is there to get upset about here? Whether he is selling for health reasons or just wants to do something else is his business. He made his money in our competitive free market and spent it the same way. I wish him well and I appreciate his buying a bunch of charity auction cars at way above market prices for good causes. Cheers.

Chip

:thumbsup :thumbsup

:agree:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

I saw that. Incredible restoration that I would guess was well into 7 figures. Did they say theirs was made in 1938? (As opposed to Mr. Pratte's 50'?)

I think that, for a bus, they are works of art.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was introduced to Ron Pratte by Carroll Shelby at BJ a few years ago while visiting in a Motorhome behind the Auction. Carroll thought a lot of him and Sue and I were with him for about two hours visiting about his collection. Very nice Gentleman somewhat quiet but very knowledgable about collector cars. I have also seen him purchase many vehicles for various charities REGARLESS of the price. He's first class in my books and I hope he does well liquidating his collection for whatever reason. Many sellers and Charities have been benefactors of his generosity over the years.

Last edited: