THE FORD GT DAYS 2014 at Le Mans.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I got a quote from "Ship Overseas," for shipping a GT from Florida to Le Havre. One way from Jacksonville is $1,030, plus destination fees, if any. Truck transport to Jacksonville is extra. From Tampa, for example, the trucking charge to the port is $375. Actual cash value insurance is essential and I don't know that cost. The ship is RoRo and the trucking is open truck.

Of course there are many scary pitfalls. Multiple drivers destroying the clutch; smashed air dams and diffusers; etc. Anxiety levels would be maxed out, for me anyway.

It seems to me that a possibly better alternative is to rent a container, presuming that owners could load/unload the cars themselves.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping a car in a container? I have known people in the past who did this, but long out of touch.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
If it's any help I'd be happy to assist at this end. It may be easier to ship to the UK with everything being in English. You can drive yourself from the UK to France - I've done it numerous times in GT's

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Anxiety levels would be maxed out, for me anyway.

You really need to relax. You worry way too much.

image.jpg

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

^^^ Hahaha. Actually, truly, Laughing out loud. :D

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

View attachment 34678

I may be sensitized to disaster after the Chinese lanterns that landed in the pine tree Saturday night. :eek

But seriously folks, AlohaGT's GT got back to Hawaii after Rally 8 with no clutch. Probably, six deckhands started it up in 3rd gear.

I think I can live with the risk of a dropped container, ship lost in a hurricane, etc.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Another quote for a 20 foot shipping container. $2,375 Jacksonville - Le Havre plus Euro port fees and insurance. Presumably, a 40 foot container, which would take two cars, would have some economy of scale.

I'm posting this info just to begin to give some focus to shipping costs for those who would like to drive their own car around Europe. I know I would. :)

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Same here, quite interested. By chance, would you be able to inquire of the vendor(s) as to the necessary paperwork/permit/insurance....(all the logistic requirements) and how long is the boat ride might be required to ship a car from the US to Europe and be driven for a few weeks there? Is the quoted price one way or round trip? Thank you for getting this started.

Ed

Another quote for a 20 foot shipping container. $2,375 Jacksonville - Le Havre plus Euro port fees and insurance. Presumably, a 40 foot container, which would take two cars, would have some economy of scale.

I'm posting this info just to begin to give some focus to shipping costs for those who would like to drive their own car around Europe. I know I would. :)

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Transit times are very different to container close and open times, plus port clearances, inspections, x rays, customs, handling, insurance etc etc. There are myriad of costs and additional days involved in shipping, other than the transit time. Then you have the issue of being there to collect the cars immediately they are released, otherwise you are subject to port storage costs and the issue that your car will be left out in the open until you collect. Then reverse for getting them home.

And a 40ft container can contain 2 cars safely, and is slight less than 2 x 20 ft containers.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Currently, we're looking into filling a 747 and fly them over...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just FYI for everybody: when we looked into this years ago (with Bony), the cost escalated to about $30K (round trip) with insurance, etc. This is no small operation. Port fees are a killer. If you're close to a port on the East coast you're better off, but not by much. Containers were the way to go, but you don't get guaranteed delivery dates or return dates unless you REALLY pay thru the nose.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There were a bunch of guys that shipped Mustangs (with a few GT guests) to Europe last year. I think the person that organized it is also a member here. I'll see if I can make the link but it's getting late...

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
A short video where we can see the Ford GT just before entering the Le Mans Circuit, during our Ford GT Days 2014.
Beautiful moment, but only a appetizer before 2016.
Will you be there with us ???

A short video where we see the Ford GT waiting to enter the Le Mans circuit for our FORD GT DAYS 2014?
Beautiful moment, but only a appetizer before 2016.
Will you be there with us ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCQBExYE0Og&app=desktop

Best regards to all.

Francis (Saint Ho).

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
What a fantastic event !! I commend you on your efforts !! Thanks for write up and photos. The GT model is super cool !! :thumbsup Keep us posted ..

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My current thoughts - about a week before the 2016 24 Heuers du Mans Race in June, we fly up to 30 GT's over to Stuttgart (where the 101 cars were flown and modified for European homologation standards) in a 747 (which can hold 30 cars). No dealing with containers or longshoreman, etc. We drive in a group, picking up European GT's along the way - a 1-2 day drive to Le Mans. All cars would be shipped or driven to a common Air Freight pickup point.

We stay through the race weekend, which should be spectacular, as part of Ford's promotional celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 1st GT40 win over Ferrari! We then go as a group to Spa/Francorchamps (1-2 day drive) and enjoy a ½ or full day on the track at Spa. Drive one more day to the Nürburgring, and spend ½ or full day on the track there. There will then be about a week or more for everyone to spend enjoying Europe for their own individual interests, and then regroup at Le Mans again for the 2016 Classic with Francis and his club about 2-3 days before the event.

It won't be cheap, but I think it could be done for under $50K - including all the lodging and track times. I'm pretty sure we can get the transportation - air round trip - for under $25K per car. Details to be investigated - insurance, import/export fees, etc. I don't include gasoline or meals as part of it, as we'd be paying for that anyway (gas will obviously be higher in Europe).

I'm trying to be realistic - but also want to scare away anyone who wouldn't want to put up that kind of an investment for a vacation. This is really more of a dedication to Ford and America than just a vacation overseas. I'd be proud to be a part of it!

Let me know your feelings, for, as Francis says, for such a large group, reservations would have to be initiated soon...

I'm ready!

Last edited:

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Hello RALPHIE.

Your analysis is brilliant.

Of course, the budget is very important, but we dont do that ten times in his life.
To live his passion has a cost, and the journey you propose is certainly a "top event" that participants will remember for many years.

I am ready to invest my energy to organize the whole European part of this adventure.
I already know I will be helped by some enthusiasts of our Club.
I already know that a number of us, found of circuit and speaking perfect English will be present to drive with the group. You would have pleasure to met them and the could be very useful.

I particularly support the principle of an "à la carte*» program, around a few main points. This would have, among others, the merit of not forget wives, those who do not like to spend their days driving, those who need rest, and those who wish to enjoy the many charms of the old Europe.

Bravo for your enthusiasm.
Do not hesitate to come back to me so that we move forward together

Best regards.

Francis.

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
I run an charity event in the UK called the Supercar Event. It is usually held the week after the 24 Hours of Le Mans. You are all welcome to attend and drive your cars on the Top Gear Track at Dunsfold and I will organize a suitable hotel and evening dinner / entertainment if you are interested in coming along.

http://www.thesupercarevent.com/

also remember the Goodwood Festival of Speed is usually very close to that time as well

http://grrc.goodwood.com/section/festival-of-speed/#/0

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My current thoughts - about a week before the 2016 24 Heuers du Mans Race in June, we fly up to 30 GT's over to Stuttgart (where the 101 cars were flown and modified for European homologation standards) in a 747 (which can hold 30 cars). No dealing with containers or longshoreman, etc. We drive in a group, picking up European GT's along the way - a 1-2 day drive to Le Mans. All cars would be shipped or driven to a common Air Freight pickup point.

We stay through the race weekend, which should be spectacular, as part of Ford's promotional celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 1st GT40 win over Ferrari! We then go as a group to Spa/Francorchamps (1-2 day drive) and enjoy a ½ or full day on the track at Spa. Drive one more day to the Nürburgring, and spend ½ or full day on the track there. There will then be about a week or more for everyone to spend enjoying Europe for their own individual interests, and then regroup at Le Mans again for the 2016 Classic with Francis and his club about 2-3 days before the event.

It won't be cheap, but I think it could be done for under $50K - including all the lodging and track times. I'm pretty sure we can get the transportation - air round trip - for under $25K per car. Details to be investigated - insurance, import/export fees, etc. I don't include gasoline or meals as part of it, as we'd be paying for that anyway (gas will obviously be higher in Europe).

I'm trying to be realistic - but also want to scare away anyone who wouldn't want to put up that kind of an investment for a vacation. This is really more of a dedication to Ford and America than just a vacation overseas. I'd be proud to be a part of it!

Let me know your feelings, for, as Francis says, for such a large group, reservations would have to be initiated soon...

I'm ready!

This is so insane that naturally, I'm at full attention. It's hard to imagine that flying cars to Europe and back makes any sense, but...well...maybe the coolness factor trumps financial practicality.

Suggestion. Let's start a planning thread. I hate to eliminate people for financial reasons. I think we have time to develop a spreadsheet of alternatives without committing to any one transport method.

Seriously, flying cars seems over the top, but who knows? Too many variables are not defined.

I offer my time in support. I don't want to take lead, because of my total inexperience. However, I can research anything to death. If someone takes the lead, I'm committing to helping in anyway possible.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It's been done before.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Mark IV was damaged during transport, but we will gloss over that little detail.

Last edited:

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
I need to start by thanking all my Ford GT Brothers who showed up to LMC.
Experiencing a meeting like this you realize that you are really not the only one with a great taste and passion for these cars.

BTW I am the owner with the GT40 Tattoo.

My trip started really good, after 5 minutes from home heading towards Le Mans and the GPS showing 2000kms left my fuel gauge showed me the F finger and got stuck, well I had the longest trip of them all with the most thirsty GT (Whippled and flame spitting) and not knowing how much fuel I really had in the car, came to Germany and went 221mph and sometime during that WOT my license plate flew of, :lol so I was going FAST, LOUD without plates in Germany for a whole 485kms. Came to Cologne and printed out a fake plate and realized I did forgot the papers to the car home in Sweden. Mr SmartGuy!!! :facepalm: :facepalm: But we made it all the way to the magical LeMans.

I need to thank Francis, Alain x2 both of them and the artist because he was just to funny and happy all the time, David at GT101 and his father.

I have had the luck to experience allot of epic moments when it comes to motorsports such as racing against F1 drivers, driven at Spa and the Nurburgring several times on good and bad days ( heavy rain ) and also met creators which have written history among them Mr Pagani and Christian von Koenigsegg, both at their factory and under lunch, why am I telling you all this? Well its because as you may understand all that is really an big experience for a passionate petrol head like me but BUT LeMans Classic 2014 was all that and x100000 better!!!

The smell, the insane sounds, the atmosphere, the people, the time travel, the vibrations, the GT40´s , 917s, 935s and the P312 during the night races almost made me cry.
IT WAS THE BEST I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED IN MY LIFE. I lost 3,5kgs during that weekend because I forgot to eat. Even on the dinner I almost did not eat because I was so excited. Be telling you guys this, YOU NEED TO SHOW up at the 2016 event. It was absolutely astonishing and like our french brothers says Fantastique!

Francis made us all feel extremely welcome and helped us with anything we needed to know. I am thankful that he and David made this.

I would be more then happy to meet you guys in 2016.

My #selfie during our way back home on the French high way.

bild_zps0488ca95.jpg

Cheers / The Crazy Tattooed Guy

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
^^^ Glad you finally joined the forum. :)

Great read, I got chills from it (seriously). FANTASTIQUE!!! Sure hope to make it in two years.