CV Joint Leaking

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I separated the halfshafts from the transaxle flange and noticed that while apart the CV joint(closest to the transaxle) leaked out some oil. Is it possible to disassemble and repack these joints? If so what grease should be used. The LH only leaked a few drops but the RH has created a mess. They were dry before I unbolted the axles. I searched previous threads and found that they should not leak, am hoping that this is not a major problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
SaskGT - Are you sure it is grease or might it be Transaxle fluid - which is all too common. A "leaking" CV joint is hard to imagine unless the metal cap has somehow become compromised. If it is transaxle fluid, there is a TSB to address this. In short, you remove the two bolts that attach the flange to the transaxle. Remove the thick washer. Now you will be able to see the end of the shaft coming from the transaxle and you can see and end-view of the splines on this shaft. The transaxle fluid likes to work its way along these flanges and drip into the coupler you disassembled. The "fix" is an easy one. Clean the thick washer real well using brake cleaner or similar. Then, spray some brake cleaner into a clean shop rag and clean - as best you can, the haft end inside the coupler. Finally, apply a nice 1/16" thick layer of Permatex Ultra Black to one side of the thick washer. Put that side against the shaft end and re-install the two bolts - and be sure to torque properly. Also be careful to torque the 6 outer coupler bolts correctly using both the proper torque AND the right sequence.

Hope this helps.

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I actually pulled out the axle halfshafts. The transaxle is not leaking. The oil is coming out of the CV joint, it leaves a spot on the floor were it is sitting. The CV metal cap looks fine (no visible damage). It seems that once the bolts that hold the axle to the transaxle flange were removed it allowed some oil to escape.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I had the same problem,, cant see how you can replace the lost oil, just the left side, as well.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
CV joints have grease not oil. As Kendall asked, are you sure it is dripping grease? Odd, because grease doesn't like to drip.

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
It would appear that the grease has separated to some degree and the lighter portion is leaking out. If these joints can not be easily taken apart I will probably hope that this change is not too important and reassemble.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If it is leaking why not replace the part?

They aren't that expensive and a failure can be dangerous and cause a much more costly repair.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_36 May. 11 18.45.jpg
    ScreenHunter_36 May. 11 18.45.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
They are $900 each from Ford, And nothing is stocked by the other parts shops such as the above, The same goes for most parts on the GT.. Try and add something to your shopping cart and it comes up no stock..Pity as the prices are very cheap.!!

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Notification

Qty

Unfortunately A-1 CARDONE Part # 602232 is not currently available and has been removed from your shopping cart

If you would like us to notify you when the part becomes available, please enter the desired quantity next to the part above and provide your email address below:

Email:

Notify MeClose

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
Ultrasportracing, I also tried and got the same result. It would be a very good price. Did you use the axle that had leaked some?

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Yes , was definitely oil that leaked out, and between the 2 mating faces of the CV joint, with no transaxle in site, oil was cleaned up and a few drops appeared latter, now Done about 200 miles since assembly, but will keep an eye on it, if it starts to wear prematurely then one would expect to feel a more aggressive clunk when taking off.. Did you check to see if it was actually oil or watery grease..

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Yes I used the axle,, After opening the outer joint, cant see how what I saw leaking was actually from the CV joint,, as the type of grease is completely different from what I saw leaking out, although a small amount and didn't reoccur once cleaned up. Can only assume that the oil was from somewhere else, or part of an assembly process. When my C/v leaked it was on the workshop floor ,nowhere near the transaxle. Car has done about 300miles now and no sign of any problems..

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I have this problem just diagnosed today, will keep you updated once I find out what's leaking

Last edited:

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Yes and ive done 10,000 miles. Sone quite hard and no problems. See my post on driveshafts.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Or CV s

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
It's an easy fix I performed on my own.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Dragan at Autonation in Mobile replaced the right CV joint, but the kit also has the left so I have those parts too.
He replaced the axle bolts again too.
Cost $2400.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Over my head to do on my own...