Track For GT Rally

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Hi All,
I was able to do a little video, I apologize in advance for the poor editing - I am not very good at this and I did it late at night...:facepalm:
This should be the configuration we are using for the GT Rally. :biggrin I think it is a great choice for the GT that is very fun no matter what level driver you are. This was the first opportunity for me to film it so I did about 8 laps: two on sport car lines to start, 4 more on Radical racing lines, and then two more on sport car lines. I put some comments that are hopefully helpful. :thumbsup
My intention is to help everyone get familiar with basic lines and the track configuration but they are not meant to be a replacement for common sense or the advice of a professional instructor. We are really looking forward to seeing you all. :cheers
[video=youtube;Wg50iU2BrcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg50iU2BrcQ&feature=em-upload_owner[/video]

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, that looks like a fun track!!! Are you in the area? Are there track days where I might be able to take a run at it before the rally? Maybe you could ride along.

That looks like a very fun car!!!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Wow, that looks like a fun track!!! Are you in the area? Are there track days where I might be able to take a run at it before the rally? Maybe you could ride along.

That looks like a very fun car!!!

Monica and I actually live very close so whenever work does not get in the way, we try and get out. :biggrin
One of the great things about Spring Mountain is there are literally dozens of different track configurations and they are adding more track all the time. This track configuration is very rare since it is a combination of member only and school/rental track so we most likely will not run this configuration again until the actual Rally. There are several groups that run HPD events but they will not be using this custom track. We will try to keep an eye out for days that may be good for people to come out for some of these events.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Here's some video from my GT during the 2012 Shelby Bash at Spring Mtn in my Heritage. Apollo is amazing driver, spent some time with him at the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVP50LrfZ4

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Wow, that is the first time I have seen the new layout that Apollo ran, that is amazing. It was not done last April, looks like a ton of fun.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Great job, Terry! (AlohaGT and I had a chance to preview the video before Terry posted and we concluded that the only reason we are seeing a video taken by Terry and not Monica is that the fastest line i.e., Monica's line, can be kept hidden from us!) LOL

In all seriousness, all of us have to be concerned about our GTs anytime we're on the track. While not a substitute for the real driving experience, owners who plan to track can watch this video a few times and really begin to familiarize themselves with this unique track configuration. I think it is a great tool and hat's off to Terry to take the time; 1) to get the SM staff to set this exact configuration (they originally had excluded the bowl), and; 2) to take the time and effort to do several laps. Finally, to underscore what Terry said, this can be a great config for any skill-level driver. Stay within your limits. No matter how fast you are, I guarantee someone is faster. So, the point is to just have fun and be safe!!!

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
This guy might be a little quicker, loafers, button down, pushes that NSX to the wall, incredible.
http://youtu.be/96ekbvjyr0g

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Ayrton was my hero

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Best part about Spring Mtn is if you do go off the track it's gravel and dirt, not a lot of walls... However, last April at the Shelby Bash a Boss 302 lost it on the main straight coming out of a Chicane and went backwards into the wall as Terry 'Apollo' was pulling into the track a side view mirror went flying by:) Guy had track insurance, got a new car. Love the look of that new section. That's a fast track, get your new brakes ready:)

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Looks awesome!
Hope to get out before the rally with DBK
Looking good ! You can have Monica coach me please!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Thanks for this Apollo. I've never tracked before and this certainly gives me something to study. Very much appreciated.

Vince H

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thanks for this Apollo. I've never tracked before and this certainly gives me something to study. Very much appreciated.

Vince H
Ill instruct you Vince ! You are in good hands ! Promise!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Same here Vince.....I've reserved a spot with Ron already.......he may be very busy at R9!!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Thanks Ron! You have no idea what kind of piece of mind that gives me. I would be so grateful for all that you could teach me. Seriously.

Vince H

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Bump for this thread, watch this over and over to get a feel for the track.

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania

Holy LOrd!!!!!!!! I just watched that whole video... Ive only done it once Vince, and it was in my viper at Charlotte.... Hopefully The Gt isnt a handful on the track like the dodge.... LOL