VLN racing ands the Nurburgring

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
As our moderator is fond of saying - Gentlemen:

I'll try this again,

Since my last post about this met with such wonderful response (not), BUT I just know there are FGT guys out there that are interested in racing, how to start racing and for sure interested in what really goes on at the Nurburgring. So I'll start at the beginning; I don't pretent to be a car guy, I grew up around airplanes and have flown since before I could drive a car. Cars got me to the airport, that's it. But a few years ago my girlfriend said "you need a cool car". So, ala, and after much ado, the FGT came into the picture. Then came the FGT Forum and Rally 7, and our first ever track day at NOLA, then another track day and another and another. As things go and you meet people, things happen and 4 months later we found ourselves at the Nurburgring. I couldn't even spell Nurburgeerringg before, but it was a cool thing and we said..... well let's come back for more of this. We went back to Germany 5 times ,drove a lot of stuff and by the end of the summer we raced our first race ever, at the Nurburgring, an RCN (a fun time trial race series that is the oldest race series in Germany). We lived, didn't bend anything and did'nt finish last. Cool. So flew back to the US, looked around and the best thing we found for real skills building and just plain fun was SCCA spec Miata racing. Absolutely. We rented a couple of cars for races, then bought a couple of cars and raced and raced and raced until our head were spinning and came back to Germany for our first VLN. The VLN is a huge huge race that includes at least 10 classes from GT3 hyper cars and down with up to 215 cars on track for the rolling start. We electect to build a Porsche Cayman 981S for the mid level V6 class which normally has about 20 cars in the group. But I skipped a part; last year while at the ring, we met Sabine (needs no introduction) she and her boyfriend Klaus of Frikadelli Racing offered to build us a car for this year, so they did, so now we run the J2 Racing Cayman in their pits. So here we go...We've been here for nearly two months now and have had three races, VLN1, VLN2 and RCN1. Next week is VLN 3. In total we've finished 8,5 and 10 in class (of 20 or so) and 73,11 and 90 overall of about 200 cars. We're not on the podium yet, but we are really diggin' it and having fun. This week we add a few other adjustments as is goes with car development and we are planning to move up in the rankings. The Nordscheiffe demands a lot from a car, and street cars particularly suffer until you modify them beyond their normal existence. It's only money.

The FGT still has center stage in our garage, but we have added a couple of GT3RS for track day entertainment and a couple of Miatas for the bump and grind of club racing. The VLN at the Nurburgring is a serious affair, and unless you are in a GT3, SP9 or Cup car, your rearview mirror is far more important than than the windscreen. You simply have to experience it. Next week we start race 5 with VLN3, we are not veterans yet but we understand a lot more and have huge (grosse) respect for what goes on here. It is impressive, the matter of track etiquete only extends to the strong and those with the will to win.

A final note to Felix of Switzerland who so rightly pointed out in my last post that I should pay tribute to our brother FGT impresario Jurgen Alzen and his FGT 777 car who continues to fight so valiantly; keep the good vibes coming for all of us, Felix. Herr Alzen is doing a fine job and his car looks marvelous AND he is fast fast fast, I know because he passes me several times during the race. And yes, Felix, I 'get it' this is the GT Forum, BUT it is also about people that like performance cars and this naturally leads to racing. Hopefully you get that.

So, if any of this of interest to you, thanks for reading. If not, well then perhaps I am mistaken. I got here because of the FGT and the FGT Forum (thanks Dave). I am thankful for that. We love our FGT and think there is no cooler car (thank you Camilo). And, you should know that everyone who knows us here in the Eifel loves the FGT and have great respect for it. We will always bear the torch.

And by the way, in case you are wondering, no one here knows what the future of the Ring is since the sale. It's not even certian that the sale is final at this point. We drive on track 3-4 days a week, but during off days, I mountain bike around the ring, inside and out of all the corners (it takes all day and is a heart pounding blast). I see what the infrastructure consists of. It truly would take a government to maintain. How a private group will propose to maintain this is a wonder.

We will travel back next week, but return for the 24hr and stay through Sept. If anyone comes over to experience the ring, we can provide many contacts and help get you on the right track. Otherwise, see you at the next VLN or SCCA Southern Region race.

Some Pics if you are interested:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90996765@N03/

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
An awesome life experience. Congratulations.

Howard

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Wow, living a dream!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I guess I missed the wonderful response (not). I'm eating this stuff up. If not for these vicarious thrills, I wouldn't have all that many thrills. Keep them coming.

I have to say, you need to work on your racer look, John. Janine has it nailed! Great photos.

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I guess I missed the wonderful response (not). I'm eating this stuff up. If not for these vicarious thrills, I wouldn't have all that many thrills. Keep them coming.

I have to say, you need to work on your racer look, John. Janine has it nailed! Great photos.

Jeeez, Gary, I can't tell here that. She's already closing in on my lap times and that will surely push her ahead. But I'll work on it, thanks for the heads up. Cheers.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Great story - great meeting people who are passionate and dedicated in living the dream :thumbsup

I have only 2 laps of the Green Hell under my belt and even though I have driven on many tracks, this one really is something special ..... and challenging beyond my own abilities so to me, your progress seems very impressive - hang Loose, but stay safe

Hope to see both of you again @ the upcoming Rally :willy

:cheers
Anders

Nurburgring01beskåret.jpg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yup awesome story!
Most difinatly living my dream!
I must come vist !
Racing is surely a drug! I know I'm hooked! I know you and Janine are too!
Nice write up and pics !
Go fast and take chances!
Remember brakes only slow you down!
My best regards. Ron

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
John, very cool to see your pics and hear about your progress! I am very happy for you and SuperJNiner! The Cayman looks great. Glad you guys made that choice for this year. Keep the posts coming and hope you two continue to get faster and have a blast.

Scott

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Another great post John keep them coming and thanks for posting

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Please Please Please keep the stories coming. Love them. And ya'll leave your schedule open for COTA and MVP next year.

Larry Boatner

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I have only 2 laps of the Green Hell under my belt and even though I have driven on many tracks

You mean my 3 laps have you beat?? (2 in 2010, and one in 1962)

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
That looks like a blast. Thanks for letting us enjoy your pictures and experiences.

Vince H

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
You mean my 3 laps have you beat?? (2 in 2010, and one in 1962)

They sure do .... but why don´t you come over and we can add some more laps :wink

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
They sure do .... but why don´t you come over and we can add some more laps :wink

Thinking about 2016....!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You guys are really living the dream. Looks like a complete and total blast.

I had no idea NOLA was your first track day. Man, the bug bit you guys hard! Glad I could help!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Thank you for living your dream and what would be mine. I also grew up around aviation (since birth), but always had a desire to race. Started with the two wheel stuff and and finally some four wheel racing. Separated from the Armed Services to go racing, just started 10+ years to late. Still, had a blast , raced on both sides of the pond ,and hope someday I can take up where I stopped.

Your posts just bring a smile to my face. :big grin

And while this is a GT forum, I enjoy all your post as they follow my interest.:thumbsup

Bruce