Dorris the morris

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Just finished my latest project. Its a 1961 Morris Minor Traveler (an English car, and like the first car my wife owned) that I bought off ebay three years a go in a wine-fueled haze. It was a complete heap of junk and when it came back from media blasting there basically wasn't anything left. No matter, I fitted the body to the complete running gear from a 2002 Miata. Had to fabricate a new frame from 2" tubing and weld in a million patch panels to get rid of the body rust. So, I now have a 53 year old car that has power steering, A/C, power brakes, cruise control, etc etc. The Mazda was six inches wider than the Morris, hence the all-steel fender flares, and also had a three inch longer wheelbase which necessitated chopping a bit out of the Mazda's subframe and driveshaft. Got her on the road a couple of days ago - loads of fun and surprisingly sorted 'out of the box'. I figure that all this fab and build work has kept me from attacking the GT and doing Whipple, bumper delete etc etc, but now she's finished I'll be looking for my next project.....

Attachments

• rebuild-179 finished car.jpg
    rebuild-179 finished car.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 162
  • rebuild-173 finished car.jpg
    rebuild-173 finished car.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 161
  • rebuild-176 finished car.jpg
    rebuild-176 finished car.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 160
  • rebuild-170 interior completd.jpg
    rebuild-170 interior completd.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 158

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
That's really cool!
But, did you know that the steering wheel is on the wrong side?
Great job.
Congrats.
Mark

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Nicely done!

Howard

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have a similar affliction too. My wife refers to it as "SWI" or shopping while intoxicated. My project this year is a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 BN7 two seater. I'll twice much into the restomod than I paid for it. Always like the the Morris Minor.
John

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Awesome!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I have been associated with this car since day one. The pictures DO NOT do it justice. This is a work of art. And the absolute great thing is that Dave will drive it. As he does the GT & McClaren. He built it with no type of plans just and idea. If he had been able this was to be his Big Bend Open Road Race Car this year. That would have been really cool. Come on Dave, save the McClaren and build the Factory Five 818 race car for track use!

Larry Boatner

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Larry kindly helped me and trailered the original car to and from media blasting, so he knows what it looked like back then! He also knows how much of the old sheetmetal got thrown away....

Attachments

• rebuild-4 ready for blasting.jpg
    rebuild-4 ready for blasting.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 138
  • rebuild-59 old floorpan.JPG
    rebuild-59 old floorpan.JPG
    444.5 KB · Views: 139

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Wow what a project, looks very cool.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Dave, after hearing all the stories at previous rallys through out the build, it's nice to see the finished product.

Looks a lot different than the pictures you've shown me in the past. Nice Job!!!

See you and Roz in Vegas?

Jeff

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is most excellent! Great color.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Vegas baby! Jeff, I'll know in a couple of weeks if we can make it this year, although I'm hopeful it will work out.

the color is Porsche Irish Green from the 70s. Look at the opening of 'Le Mans' when Steve McQueen steps out of his 911 to stare down the Mulsanne straight - that's the color of his car, I love it, I thought BRG was too dark on this vehicle

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a similar affliction too. My wife refers to it as "SWI" or shopping while intoxicated. My project this year is a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 BN7 two seater. I'll twice much into the restomod than I paid for it. Always like the the Morris Minor.
John

SWI is a very common affliction at car auctions like Barrett-Jackson and Mecum. Bidders are given almost unlimited access to alcohol. My BJ punch card allowed something like 15 or 20 per day (I think they assume you start drinking at 9:00 and give you one per hour for free). Fortunately my Cobra went on the block early in the day, and it was only after about 6 beers that I started to have buyer's remorse but I already signed. In the end I didn't regret it. It's still my favorite car. The GT is great, the Cobra was Awesome. The difference is the bonus points of having the old lady sit in the GT where she wouldn't get close to the Cobra. It truly scared her.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I want to see a picture of the tall guy sitting in please!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Very nice outcome. Must be a hell of a lot faster now than when you get it :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Outstanding!

'Sure beats the heck out of a PT Cruiser, doesn't it! :thumbsup:thumbsup

...Although this one's kinda neat in a way:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ret...y-chrysler-pt-cruiser-rt-10-pickup%2F;630;388

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Looking good Dave! Have a great weekend at Big Bend.

ben

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Dave
That is awesome. Great job. Hope to see you and Roz in Vegas. It won't be the same if you are not there.