The interesting people you meet when you drive a GT

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
They really need to be cleaned off the same day to avoid the risk of ruined paint. If you wash them off the same day, it is pretty easy, and water works best. Leave them on to bake in the sun for a day or two and it can be a real bee-yatch to get them off...plus the paint damage. Lots of vehicles running around FL with paint damage from the little buggers.

They weren't too bad today, and I can vouch for your advice. I waxed the front (well, not wax, but poly) and they washed off easily with water.

Still, it's disgusting when they are so thick you have to pull over and scrape the mess off the windshield just to see where you are going.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
They didn't notice you either.

:lol

Great time today.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
My Miata's tongue is still hanging out trying to keep up with the Ford GT's today.

Howard

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My Miata's tongue is still hanging out trying to keep up with the Ford GT's today.

Howard

I know what you mean. Andy was going a little fast on the bridge.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I know what you mean. Andy was going a little fast on the bridge.

We were really loud today. Holy crap! How did we get away with that? LEO day off.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
My favorite take on cars and bugs.

killsbugs.jpeg

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
"and today I met several more interesting people. Rocking the Red, of course."

But they seem to be enjoying the white more.

bucsgirls.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Still, it's disgusting when they are so thick you have to pull over and scrape the mess off the windshield just to see where you are going.

Must be fun to ride a motorcycle down there - - - NOT! :ack

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Really not bad most of the year. They do their hatch thing and die shortly there after.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Twice a year for a few weeks. So far for me, the only downside to Florida.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This thread has taken some twists and turns, but going back to the beginning...

I had the great pleasure to have the guy who had oversight of GT frame production at Milford Fabricating come as a guest to Marty Schorr's "Car Guy's Who Lunch" lunch yesterday.

Mike Karwowski was CFO of Budd, the parent of Milford. Milford was in financial trouble, and Mike was sent to Milford to fix its problems. His tenure as Milford's Pres coincided with Ford GT frame production. In fact, he convinced a reluctant Thyssen-Krupp Budd that the GT frame program would be profitable as well as prestigious.

And, 12 years later, we're having lunch.

It never ceases to amaze me. The interesting (and cool) people you meet when you drive a GT.

Mike.jpg

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
:biggrin It's probably safe to say none here will find that necessary!

Who is Camilo?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My interesting person I met while driving my GT was the owner of a WW2 plane. I stopped at a wine country small airport because I saw various warbirds flying. When I started looking at the ones on the ground, the owner of this one asked if I could park next to his plane for photos! He kept saying "P40 & GT40, isn't that so cool!" I thought so too!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 286

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Great pic Ed!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Who is Camilo?

'Plays shortstop for the Detroit Tigers, I believe... :wink

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have had a lot of women with skirts want to sit in my car! I always let them.....

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I have had a lot of women with skirts want to sit in my car! I always let them.....

Does Mandy know about this? LOL

Ed

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Really cool Picture Ed. The P-40 has always been one of my favorites.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Mike - the guy, Chris Provost, who owns it built the entire plane himself except for the engine. He used period correct fasteners & tried to make it true to the day. The plane came from New Guinea & the last US Army pilot to fly it was still living in NorCal! Chris had him & his family over after the resto. I think he said the pilot had 1.5 confirmed victories in it. He gave me a short ride in it. It was a blast!

Ed

PS Here we are over Sears Point Raceway!

Attachments

• IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 161

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan