The interesting people you meet when you drive a GT

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I went to a car show today in Venice. Fantastic cars, but those pics will come later.

The gentleman pictured struck up a conversation. His name is Dave Montri and he is from Troy Michigan.

Turns out he was VP of Procurement at Milford Fabricating when Milford got the contract to manufacture the complete GT frame, including CNC milled body attachment points. Dave had to buy all the aluminum. He talked a bit about about the crazy deadlines and, even worse, the many design and spec changes Ford demanded throughout the process, including after any rational drop dead dates.

He said he doubts Milford made any money on the contract, but sharing the halo effect made it invaluable.

Dave is still in touch with his former colleagues who were on the manufacturing side at Milford. He said if anyone has any questions about Milford's role in the GT program, he would be happy to try to get answers.

5D3_6783.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
When I read the title of your thread, I thought for sure you were referring to me. I guess he's somewhat interesting too.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yes, well...everyone here is, by definition, interesting. Or at least curious.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I sent some photos to Dave, and he forwarded them on to the gentleman who was President of Milford at the time of the GT contract. Here is his reply:

"Dave,

Just seeing the GT gets my blood churning and my heart racing. I remember only too well going to Moersdorf and pleading the case for that job. I think he wanted it because it was such a sexy product but he had to overcome his hatred for the previous Milford top management. Anyway, I was thrilled that we got a shot at it as were my Milfab team and the UAW. Interesting sidenote: one of the UAW regional leadership guys at the bargaining table with us was Bob King.

I told Moersdorf that this job, though low in volume, could generate a really decent profit. And it did. It would not be an exaggeration to say that it saved Milford, even to this day.

The attached photo has me in the foreground with the Milford GT guys and our spaceframe. The Ford guy standing in front of the GT is Camilo Pardo, chief designer of the GT. He's a very interesting guy: auto designer, artist, fashion designer. Look him up."

Ford_GT_milford_Dec_2004_001.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The Ford guy standing in front of the GT is Camilo Pardo, chief designer of the GT. He's a very interesting guy: auto designer, artist, fashion designer. Look him up."

:biggrin It's probably safe to say none here will find that necessary!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I meet a lot of dumb cops who just pull me over to ask me what kind of Ferrari it is, under the guise of a routine traffic stop. They're NOT interesting people; just dumb cops wasting my time. My answer is usually "It's just a f_cking Ford kit car with a Ferrari engine". LOL

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That is just sad. And, sadly, has nothing to do with an interesting people thread.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Cool story. Any time you meet any of the cast of characters from production, feel free to invite them onto the forum!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Milford was a division of the Budd Company and Budd was part of the German conglomerate ThyssenKrupp. Wolfram Moersdorf was the CEO and a Krupp guy and, according to an unnamed source, a real a-hole and very difficult to work with/for. Bob King became President and still is of the UAW.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Guess I am just lucky but I have driven 3 GTs for years, as well as other exotics in several states and have not had any issues with any , much less many, "dumb" cops.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Guess I am just lucky but I have driven 3 GTs for years, as well as other exotics in several states and have not had any issues with any , much less many, "dumb" cops.

You're the exception. I once had a douche bag female trooper stop me
In get this...rush hour traffic!!! According to her I was speeding. I asked her if we were on candid camera or punkd? She was screaming at me for in her words "driving like shit". When she checked my record she came back and politely let me go. Weird all the way

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Never any issues here either. Interesting people stories welcome. Hint...hint.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I was in my GT once when I met a bald gas station attendant who had a spider web tattooed on his head, a full set of lower teeth and no upper teeth. I found that pretty interesting.

Are you happy now?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I was in my GT once when I met a bald gas station attendant who had a spider web tattooed on his head, a full set of lower teeth and no upper teeth. I found that pretty interesting.

Are you happy now?

:rofl

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I was in my GT once when I met a bald gas station attendant who had a spider web tattooed on his head, a full set of lower teeth and no upper teeth.

Not that uncommon!

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Are you happy now?

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Pics or it didn't happen.

I'm hurt that you are questioning my honesty.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Delete.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
By the way Gary, since your thread is already completely derailed anyway, this is your friendly reminder that DuPont Cars and Coffee is this Saturday. You too Rick.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yes, and Dimmitt is having a post-C&C party. IDK yet. You too Matt. You too andymlow with your newly acquired 12C. It would be way cool to pace each other up I-75.

Edit: Why do my threads get so effed up? I go yin, everybody goes yang. I even get "delete." wtf is up with that? :/ :lol

Edit: Lovebugs are out. :( :( :(

Last edited: