FRPP Headers and 2nd Gen Muffler

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
FRPP Headers and 2nd Gen Muffler (now with drive-by video)

I've had the 2nd gen FRPP/Borla muffler for a while. It is significantly louder than the 1st gen (which cracked welds and rotted inside).

FRPP/Borla long tube headers were installed today. They up the ante considerably, with very cool pop and burble on deceleration and VERY loud at WOT. Surprisingly, at steady speeds it seems no louder, just deeper, than stock manifolds/cats/FRPP muffler. No drone at any rpm.

The headers were ceramic-coated by Jet-Hot, which, by the way, voids the Borla warranty.

Will try to get some drive by video soon.

Headers.jpg

[video=youtube_share;Oih5v8wGGJo]http://youtu.be/Oih5v8wGGJo[/video]

This video is dedicated to Sinovac and bonehead. Please play on good speakers.

[video=youtube_share;t3BDEZFj-Mw]http://youtu.be/t3BDEZFj-Mw[/video]

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Looks and sounds great!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
P.S. I blame Sinovac for this.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Gary
Sounds great, not so sure your neighbors will agree.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I love the long tube headers / Borla combo (my Borla is pretty old). I think the only complaints my neighbors have is the initial "bark" on startup. (Tori modified the tune which made it a bit better).

It is loud at WOT.....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
No "check engine" light yet. Apparently, this is hit or miss with cat delete. How long before I know I'm in the clear?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
No "check engine" light yet. Apparently, this is hit or miss with cat delete. How long before I know I'm in the clear?

Most seem to get it within a few hundred miles. I put about a thousand miles on mine and never got one. Torrie switched off the sensors via SCT as I knew it would eventually become a problem.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
There is a mechanical device...forget what it is called...that you can insert behind the O2 sensors. Ford stopped supplying is some time ago, but apparently they are still around. Simple plug in device versus a tune.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Mine took about 500 miles, Gary. Running leaded gas got rid of the light.

Keep your tips clean - I followed a "Borla long-tube header/racing muffler" at Miller Motorsports Park back in 2007 (SAAC 32), and in certain corners, flames shot out as he backed off. Mine have blackened quite a bit with the rear exit headers.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is a mechanical device...forget what it is called...that you can insert behind the O2 sensors. Ford stopped supplying is some time ago, but apparently they are still around. Simple plug in device versus a tune.

They are called MIL eliminators.

fordgtforsale.com

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2007
Sounds great, and looks like the added flow is working as the pressure pushed your camera back when you gave it more throttle. Awesome.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
They are called MIL eliminators.

I bought a set of those and was never able to get them to work. CEL kept coming back. Had Torrie turn off my secondary O2 sensors and all is fine.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I bought a set of those and was never able to get them to work. CEL kept coming back. Had Torrie turn off my secondary O2 sensors and all is fine.

I'm not completely sure, but they might only work on earlier cars. With the highly developed PCM tuning now available, I don't see a need for them.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
There is a benefit to using the MIL eliminators vs turning off the o2 sensors. With the sensors off in the tune, the catalyst feedback test never shows ready. With the MIL eliminators, when they work, the PCM is happy that they are working and shows the feedback system as ready.

This shows up during emissions inspection. In Texas, you are allowed one 'Not Ready' code and 0 CEL codes. So with the sensors turned off, you can still pass as long as no other items are not ready. If you do not have emissions testing, suppose it does not matter. The engine is happy either way and it does not effect the tune.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm not completely sure, but they might only work on earlier cars. With the highly developed PCM tuning now available, I don't see a need for them.

A lot cheaper than buying a tuner, no?

I'm happy with my tune, but I'm sure you can convince me that I'm really unhappy and just don't know it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There is a benefit to using the MIL eliminators vs turning off the o2 sensors. With the sensors off in the tune, the catalyst feedback test never shows ready. With the MIL eliminators, when they work, the PCM is happy that they are working and shows the feedback system as ready.

This shows up during emissions inspection. In Texas, you are allowed one 'Not Ready' code and 0 CEL codes. So with the sensors turned off, you can still pass as long as no other items are not ready. If you do not have emissions testing, suppose it does not matter. The engine is happy either way and it does not effect the tune.

Won't work in CA where they put a sniffer up the tailpipe. My nose can tell if the Cats are there, or not.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
. . . .but I'm sure you can convince me that I'm really unhappy and just don't know it.

You mistake me for a Democrat. :lol

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Can't wait to get my FRPP rear exit headers put on...should be in a few weeks. That sounds nice!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Just got my car back from GTG, had their exhaust put on, just drove it from the carrier into the garage, still, what a sound!!!!!
I've had the Borla, and the stock. Can't wait to get it out on the road!!!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
The expression comes to mind (Blown Away) You had better tie that camera down.:wink