Aluminum body Cobra kit car.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Somewhere in the past I saw a thread about Cobra Kit Cars that had all aluminum bodies like the originals. I have tried several searches and can't find it. Is this company still in business and is it the best kit (cost be damned) or is fiberglass better? Does anybody sell complete 427 aluminum body cobras today or would I have to have one built. Does anybody here own one and what do you think? Don't want to rehash old stuff so if this is in an old thread just let me know how to find it. Thanks.

Chip

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Shelby American builds aluminum as well as fiberglass Cobras, both 427 style and the FIA 289. Finishline is their largest dealer, I believe. I have several freinds with them and they all say the same thing, they are great cars, but a bitch to build.

http://www.finishlinecobraslv.com/

Craig

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Aluminum Cobra replicas

The Kirkham brothers in Provo, Utah, are building aluminum-bodied Cobra replicas. The bodies are made in Poland by guys who used to make airplanes in aluminum. The Kirkhams supply a lot of the alloy bodies for the current Shelby products. Both the Shelby car and the Kirkham car have started to deviate slightly (mostly in details of suspension and brakes, e.g.) from the originals built in the sixties.

They are generally considered to be at the top of the food chain for Cobra replicas, with the Shelby models commanding a premium for their CSX number.

For myself, I considered fiberglass to be much more practical than aluminum, and I wanted the FIA body style with the better coil-spring suspension (Kirkham now offers this option, they call it their "hybrid" model), so I went with an ERA.

There is an authorized Shelby dealer here in the Detroit area who can build a Shelby car for you, as period-correct as you'd like. He builds only alloy cars, and has restored a number of original Cobras, and built several Shelby and Kirkham cars. Send me a PM if you'd like any more information.

regards,

Jeff

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I have a Kirkham, all aluminum, with a Shelby Aluminum 427 block, stroked, displacement is 482 inches. I love it and it is fierce beyond description.

I had it at an open track day at Larry Miller Motorsports park in Utah this past weekend, and I'm still smiling.

I'm here in Arizona and if you would like to see it sometime, let me know. Bring you earplugs :thumbsup

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Shelby American and Kirkham build and sell aluminum cars. Shelby, ERA and Superformance are among the best of scores of companies that make fiberglass cars. The Shelby CSX aluminum cars are the most expensive new or used. There's a wide spectrum of finish quality for the Shelby cars so you need to find a builder with a good reputation if you want a new car. There are also used Shelby's available from time to time that are sometimes better than new, because many of the aluminum cars are purchased for investment. I purchased 2 when the Shelby CSX cars were my passion before the GT. Go to clubcobra.com and cobracountry.com for a wealth of information and listings of cars for sale.
Nothing automotive compares to the rush of being in a 427 Cobra at idle, 6000+ rpm or anything in between.

Last edited:

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
OK, let me throw in a plug for you to consider: Superformance MKIII (Cobra). They come into the states complete, and I do mean complete. They have glass bodies. All you have to add is the engine and transmission. And these can be added by many installers in about two days. Dyanamic Motorsports in Ross, Ohio is one of seven or eight dealers that sell them. They have an engine builder and installer about fifty feet from their establishement, Performance Engineering. The car, with all options is about 43k, the engine, tranny, and install about 20k. They are known for high quality and consistent builds. They have built and sold about 2,500 Cobra cars over the last ten years. Panel fit is better than my GT. I personally have seen the Kirkham cars and they are beautiful. So are the ERA cars. But the SPF cars are built in a factory and have a consistant build quality to them. With time, money, and the right builder, of course one can achieve the same results with the others.

Final suggestion, find an example of the CSX car, the ERA car, and the SPF. Drive them. Then decide. If you want linage to Shelby, you must buy a CSX car from him (which will probably be built by the SPF factory). Well, you get the picture. Drive, then decide. I am not a salesman for them, believe it or not, but I did the above, and I own an SPF. Anyway, here is their link: http://www.superformance.com/

Hi-Tech is a 500 employee manufacturing facility in Port Elizabeth, South Africa owned by Jimmy Price. This company's SPF cars are licensed and endorsed by Carroll Shelby since February of 2005 (after a lawsuit out of court settlement between the two companies). Jimmy Price now produces Shelby's continuation glass CSX 4000 series cars (though not exclusively, yet...).

An additional note, Jimmy Price and Peter Brock worked in collaboration to produce the second iteration of the Shelby Daytona Coupe (100k), also available from SPF dealers. They also make and sell a fine GT40 for about 120k.

Roger, SPF 2080

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Chip,

Are you going to finish the car yourself? If you want the driveline completed for you, you may also talk to the builder. He should have a lot of experience and a good reputation. I can make a recommendation on this.

On the aluminum, if that is what you really want, then nothing else will do. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with fiberglass. There are several good cars out there. You just need to decide what you want.

gamera11

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2006
Kansas City MO
I have been a Shelby enthusiast for over 35 years of my life and have been around all those other Cobras brands during my many phases. I now have a large collection of the Shelby cars including a CSX4000 aluminum Cobra a AC Autokraft MKIV 427 Cobra and vintage CSX3000 Cobra . I show, restore and vintage race my cars
I am a Shelby American Automobile Club Regional rep and concours judge for the club. Those credentials should certify me as Shelby car crazy.
You said before that the money didn't matter if that is true then I can tell you from a experienced background that with out a doubt a quality built new series CSX 4000 MKIII Cobra in aluminum is the only thing that will satisfy you .The other cars are great but each in some way isn't quite the same all things being equal. If money is a issue then the other cars that have already been mentioned are excellent alternatives. I hope this helps. Bob Gaines

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Incredible

Gentlemen,

Thank you. In 24 hours with one post I learned more than I did in the last month of research. The GTForum contains more expertise with less ego than any other auto site on the web period. Plus, I'm still high from the rally. :banana

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
...and, picking any bugs out of your teeth yet? :biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
With a little help from my friends....

.........I now have another Ford on the way. :biggrin Thanks to the GT Forum Cobra experts (Gary, Bob Gaines, W. Mitty, Craig, Jeff, Kirby, Roger, Bart, and Bony) I found and just purchased an stunning aluminum Cobra in Texas (my GT came from Texas as well). It's a Kirkham 427SC with less than 300 miles on it. Brushed aluminum, black leather, Kieth Craft built Shelby aluminum block 427 stroked to 482, stainless steel frame and every Kirkham option. It'll look great sitting in the garage next to the GT! The drive is earthshaking and ear shattering. 625 HP in a 2170 lb car sitting out in the wind made me feel like a 300 Weatherby round leaving the muzzle. :eek
Thanks again my good friends. Here's a couple photos.

Chip

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 837

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
And........

......one photo of the engine. No supercharger but still pretty cool.

Chip

Attachments

• yyy.jpg
    yyy.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 558

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Congrats Chip, I'm sure you'll truly enjoy the car. My son and I looked at a Cobra but just didn't have the time to finish it. I'm sure you and your boys will enjoy it :cheers

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
What a beautiful car, Chip! Aluminum body, fantastic Kirkham quality, big-block Ford brute power! Nice acquisition, it will look good next to the GT! :cheers

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Aluminum Cobra

Congratulations, Chip! I see you got the right carburetors....... :banana

10170Webers_2.jpg

a single Holley just looks so LOST on top of all that FE brawn.... :rofl

Car looks fantastic. How will you be able to choose which to drive? Lets see.....am I in the mood for raw power and brute force, or finese and beautiful lines.... two really great choices - enjoy!

Come on over to clubcobra sometime and see what's going on in the world of Cobra replicas.
There are sub-forums for different brand kits, geographic locations, and different tastes (big block or small block; waxer or racer; paint or bare alloy; etc.). There are also a few original Cobra owners that participate, and a number of history experts that can recount nearly every historic Cobra race by car number, driver, and VIN number :biggrin

Have fun with your new toy!

regards,

Jeff

SVTregistry

Jan 16, 2006
NYC
that car will never go out of style

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wow
congrats!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Chip,
Very, very NICE!!
Congratulations on your new ride.

Got to Love It!!

P.S.:If you keep purchasing cars from Texas, were gona have to make you citizen of the Republic.:thumbsup

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congratulations. You sure didn't waste any time finding a gorgeous Cobra. Just 2 suggestions: (1) Slowly build up your expertise in handling all the power becuase these cars are very unforgiving (2) don't let anyone else drive it because of (1).

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kirby Vieira said:
Congratulations. You sure didn't waste any time finding a gorgeous Cobra. Just 2 suggestions: (1) Slowly build up your expertise in handling all the power becuase these cars are very unforgiving (2) don't let anyone else drive it because of (1).

amen, all what I can ad is reread this post often.
You have at least 200hp more than an original on a 90" wheelbase.