Raptor experiences

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
My '14 Raptor is expected to be in any day now. I am going to have it "Rouschified" ....my only concern is with the exhaust note accompanying the 590hp pkge. Are you experiencing any droning at all and is the decibel level reasonable at idle? (I'm not sure my neighbours will appreciate another loud unit)...I would prefer not to have to "settle" with the quieter 540 pkge.

I have the phase 2 Roush as well and it did have somewhat of a drone to it.. What I did was wrap the muffler and part of the pipe with black exhaust wrap. Then I put some DynaMat sheets and placed them under the rear floor mats.... now it still sounds wicked and no drone. ( quieter in cab too)

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Just installed my new Rockstar wheels

added some upgraded front brake pads & rotors, K & N

This truck hauls ass :)

adding a winch, new LED lights & more goodies

Raptor rockstar.jpgRockstar 1.jpg

Last edited:

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I love my White 2013. The off road experience is thrilling. Everything MINUS the front seats!! Does anyone else find the lumbers extremely uncomfortable on long drives? I almost traded it in because my hip was killing me for a week after the SF to AZ drive. I drove a U Haul last month and it was more comfortable. I get 12.1mpg with an empty truck, 13 on the freeway.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I bought a '13 a few months ago. When I did the test drive I was amazed how smooth it rode. The stock tune on the truck is very conservative...it won't even let you do a powerstall burn out. I've since done a Roush CAI, Roush catback exhaust and a 87 octane performance tune from 5 Star Tuning (via SCT iTSX tuner module). The thing will now flat out roast the rear tires and hauls ass! The exhaust does drone a bit but I'm OK with that. The exhaust note is just exhilarating. We went under a bridge a few weeks ago. I had the windows down and the sun roof open. I pegged the throttle and the damned thing sounded like a nitro blown monster truck launching off! I seriously giggled like a little kid!

I also recently added 4 Rigid LED fog lamps and a 20" Rigid light bar in the front grill. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see them.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I bought a '13 a few months ago. When I did the test drive I was amazed how smooth it rode. The stock tune on the truck is very conservative...it won't even let you do a powerstall burn out. I've since done a Roush CAI, Roush catback exhaust and a 87 octane performance tune from 5 Star Tuning (via SCT iTSX tuner module). The thing will now flat out roast the rear tires and hauls ass! The exhaust does drone a bit but I'm OK with that. The exhaust note is just exhilarating. We went under a bridge a few weeks ago. I had the windows down and the sun roof open. I pegged the throttle and the damned thing sounded like a nitro blown monster truck launching off! I seriously giggled like a little kid!

I also recently added 4 Rigid LED fog lamps and a 20" Rigid light bar in the front grill. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Please do.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
SSRob

Please post pics. Exactly what I have been thinking with the lights.

Thugboat

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Rigid 6 LED fog lamps and 20" fog/driving light combination. Absolutely blindingly intense.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

Bought these on Amazon. The SVT lights up in white but other colors are available. I have it connected to my #4 upfitter switch.

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
IMG_2818.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Awesome!

You need the orange elimination on the mirror

Cobraguy

GT Owner
My '14 Raptor is expected to be in any day now. I am going to have it "Rouschified" ....my only concern is with the exhaust note accompanying the 590hp pkge. Are you experiencing any droning at all and is the decibel level reasonable at idle? (I'm not sure my neighbours will appreciate another loud unit)...I would prefer not to have to "settle" with the quieter 540 pkge.

Well I picked up my '14 Raptor a week ago....decided to forego the exhaust but now the blower whine is very noticeable and delicious! I only have 1,000 k on it and it still feels very tight. As well, the fuel mileage is quite dismal. When should I expect it to loosen up and when will it be safe to drive aggressively ?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
No more 6.2L V8 in the Raptor!?! 3.5L Ecoboost doesn't sound so exciting...that is unless they turn the boost up A LOT in which case it may be a hoot!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
If the rumors about the 5.8 Trinity engine not being quite dead yet, I think that would make a great option for the Raptor for a year or two.....

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Love the horsepower and torque in my 6.2 raptor. HATE the 12 mpg. Would be willing to try and Ecoboost. My sons 2014 F150 Ecoboost is pretty nice.

Larry

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My Raptor is my daily driver & toy on the weekends. It's at home in the desert but doesn't mind the woods if you can go fast!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 187

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Looks great Ed! Im glad making our raptor look as cool as that, just does not make sense up here in New England (saved me a lot of $)

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Still loving mine as well.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
So it's confirmed.....my '14 Roush Raptor is the thirstiest truck I've ever owned. Not sure if the blower is at all to blame but 11 mpg overall and just 7.5 mpg hauling the gt to R9 is beyond disappointing! (I realize the truck was not designed as a towing unit but it performed impressively)With only 8,000 miles on the odo I hope there is an improvement soon.....

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
And now you know one of the reasons why the 6.2 is going away. While it performs well, it is less efficient than the V10 it was designed to replace. That and longevity issues are why the V10 is still in production and sold in the medium duty range of trucks and chassis. My 40ft motorhome weighing in at 24,000 and change and 11ft tall gets 8.5 driving 70+ towing a toad.

Sure wish Ford would design a Ecoboost engine in the 5l or so range to replace both the 6.2 and 6.8. Perhaps even a 4.5V6 EB could work.

Raptors are great performing trucks but are very thirsty by today's standards. They are also gone from the 15 lineup.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
FWIW, I got 9mpg w a 24' steel frame trailer (not aluminum), with a 04 heavy convertible mustang in it. However I can get 14.8 15.0 with normal driving (combined city Hwy over a couple thousand miles of data according to the dash), but that means being very very stingy with the right foot.

Yes the truck is gone for 15, but it has been a normal trend for an SVT product to lag at least a model year behind the introduction of a new platform, S550 mustang cobra GTxxx included.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Love my Raptor. I have over 85,000 miles already. Unlike Ed Sims, mine is stock. My Brother in law got tired of drooling over mine and just bought one.