Raptor experiences

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
I have been curious about the raptor over the years it has been out. I know many of you here on the forum own the beast, and I would like to hear your experiences both good and bad about the machine. I have heard it really has improved with 6.2l over the other 5.4l. How comfortable is the ride? would comfortable driving long distances? Is the short bed enough room for utility? Does the truck feel solid while towing? My final and most important question: Is it as fun to drive as it looks badass? Thanks! -Hunter:biggrin

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Yes Raptor is very cool

I have a '12 with 6.2L. It is a very fun machine. Never drove the 5.4 version. I think it is the GT of trucks.

Attachments

• IMAG0952.jpg
    IMAG0952.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 620

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
The 5.4 is underwhelming. Very comfortable ride, great for long distances (fuel mileage notwithstanding), the bed is long enough 99% of the time, and they can be a real riot.

I haven't personally towed with one but have heard positive comments from others.

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
The 5.4 is underwhelming. Very comfortable ride, great for long distances (fuel mileage notwithstanding), the bed is long enough 99% of the time, and they can be a real riot.

I haven't personally towed with one but have heard positive comments from others.
I agree, the 5.4 would be a bit underpowered for such a large vehicle.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I never understood why they did not make a tuned version of the 3.5EB available in the Raptor.

I know most Raptors are crew cabs but....I am storing a new Ford Tremor for its out of the country owner. I got the opportunity to line up with a Raptor owner with an attitude and ... well, the 6.2 cannot keep up. Easy 2 lengths on launch (AWD Tremor with launch control) and just kept pulling away up to 75 where I shut it down. And this on a Tremor with less than 200 miles on it. Was not the outcome I was expecting at all. There is a good reason Ford has dropped the 6.2 from its lineup. Its not that powerful and it sucks gas like no tomorrow. Its longevity did not meet requirements for use in the Superduty trucks either which sealed its fate.

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
There's an 8-900 pound difference in those trucks. I would hope it would win a drag race lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I wonder if the name was part of the reason the Tremor was a fail. Who came up with that? Sounds like the truck has Parkinsons.

"My truck's front end is shaking."

"Sounds normal for a Tremor."

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I also have a platinum 4x4 with 3.5ecoboost. Close to weight of my raptor. It will walk the raptor but that's the difference in forced induction vs. Normally aspirated. Put blower on 6.2 and you have fire breathing....well raptor. I strongly disagree, the 6.2 is great engine. It has lots of potential. Lots of room to modify.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We love ours. Very comfortable. We have a 14, w the 6.2. I will tow with it some, but have not yet (have an screw so will pull approx. 9000lbs). The bed is useful, but today had to use my other truck with an 8' bed. The bed extender might help (I don't have it, but may add it). Kids are waaay more comfortable with the screw, vs our 8' bed club cab (not crew).

It rides very very well.

Only downside is 13.7mpg (observed from the dash info panel), but has been going up slightly as it breaks in (got it late December).

If you want a new one, I believe the order banks close very soon, if they have not already. It is my understanding that there will not be a 15, so the supply out there will dwindle until 16.

Attachments

• IMG_20140101_113137861.jpg
    IMG_20140101_113137861.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,959

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I agree with everything Specracer said. I have a 2013 6.2L Super Crew and LOVE it. I get about 13.7 all around driving. I pull several different trailers with it and it has plenty of power/torque for this. The only issue I have noticed is it tends to squat if you have a nose heavy trailer, I may need to put air bags on it. I can get about 11 mpg if I really try while pulling the trailers. Have to keep it around 60 MPH. NEVER happens, I get around 9 MPG at 70 and that depends on terrain. For those who like to get there quickly it can drop to around 7 at 80 mph and ABOVE! Comfort and roominess is very nice. I have a sticker in the middle of the tailgate the reads "THIS IS not A HYBRID, Gets 13 MPG." Get lots of laughs and a few scowls from the tree huggers. Mostly while sitting at the gas station filling the huge 37 gallon tank. And visit there quite often BTW. I am in the Oil Business so just trying to keep hope alive!!!

Larry Boatner

Last edited:

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I have an 11 screw as my DD and just put in an order for a new one. Looking forward to 13 mpg as some have discussed. On my 11 all I get is 10.9. Wouldn't want another truck though

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I have a super cab with a 6.2. I think part of the reason other trucks are faster is the 35 inch tires. I have smashed the front (should have gone faster, or slower over the first jump), I have slight frame bending, but only at the impact point. I have hit the rev limiter, once on road, twice off. I have driven across many states on multi week trips. The truck is super comfortable. Has plenty of power and brakes to tow. However, it has a low weight capacity, so don't expect to load the truck and put a nose heavy trailer on it. There are two problems with the truck. One is that it is so comfortable off road at speed. If you drive where other people are you will have to pass them. Why people buy jeeps or trucks and drive down perfectly good dirt roads at 15 mph is beyond me, but good luck passing them. If you are on a super rough, rocky road, you will destroy a set of rear tires very quickly. (3 hours seemed to remove half the tread blocks of the stock BFG's) The other problem is that the truck is super wide. A problem when your parking, but terrifying if you weren't born in Colorado and your going down a jeep trail on a cliff. Get one, you won't regret it.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We go too slow off road? I think not. Our Nissan off road group uses Xterras and Frontiers to rescue stuck Raptors...like this:

1517820_701387086550768_1635283128_n.jpg

http://bit.ly/1q1C8sP

Too wide and too long wheelbase for serious off roading.

We all need help once in a while. :lol

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
I have a '12 with 6.2L. It is a very fun machine. Never drove the 5.4 version. I think it is the GT of trucks.

I have a 12 also. The ride is very comfortable, much better than my 05 Excursion.

I haven't used the bed yet but its nice have

I don't tow w it. I'm sure it's a very comfy long range cruiser

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Here is my 13 Raptor with a Trailer.

Thugboat

Attachments

• RaptorTrailer#2.jpg
    RaptorTrailer#2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 389

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Here is my 13 Raptor with a Trailer.

Thugboat

Tuxedo black just like mine 👍

ameloc

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2014
I owned a 2011 6.2 Raptor and put 85000 miles on it trouble free. Had more fun both on and off road than I could put in this reply. I recently sold it and got a new 2013 6.2 with a Roush package ( Super charger ,Exhaust etc) 596hp. Even more fun. Can't say enough about either. I know a lot of people who own them and race them off-road and they enjoy them as well. It's not my 2005 GT but almost as much fun to drive...Almost

Cobraguy

GT Owner
My '14 Raptor is expected to be in any day now. I am going to have it "Rouschified" ....my only concern is with the exhaust note accompanying the 590hp pkge. Are you experiencing any droning at all and is the decibel level reasonable at idle? (I'm not sure my neighbours will appreciate another loud unit)...I would prefer not to have to "settle" with the quieter 540 pkge.

ameloc

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2014
The exhaust is loud without a doubt. That's one of the things I like so much about it. They'll hear you before they see you and hopefully get the hell out of your way. It's a very well tuned exhaust. Much louder than my GT.When you put your foot into it to pass or just accelerate the Supercharger and the exhaust compete for sound levels....AH the sweet sound of SPEED. Sound like a miniature Trophy Truck.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I have the Roush Phase 2 Raptor and by far the best truck I have ever owned... I would say it's the GT of trucks! :) Screen shot 2014-03-20 at 3.22.06 PM.jpg