Battery finally went - what to replace with?

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Well nearly 8 years with the original battery and today it went south. What do you recommend for a replacement? or should I see about another OEM , if they are still available?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
OEM's can be ordered from your local Ford Dealer - they put in the order, and Optima will drop ship it to them (with the Ford GT Sticker on it). I paid $163.32 for my 2nd one - in May, 2012.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What he said. That's a pretty good life for an original. My dodge truck got 9 on its original and lived outside all of its life

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I installed a Sears Platinum. there was a thread several months ago with the details.
ajb

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Sears platinum are discontinued as others have said. Sucks as they were a great replacement. We just put in an order for the odyssey so will tell you how it works out...

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
OEM's can be ordered from your local Ford Dealer - they put in the order, and Optima will drop ship it to them (with the Ford GT Sticker on it). I paid $163.32 for my 2nd one - in May, 2012.

I did the same as Ralphie. 2 day service.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I believe a Sears equivalent is available from battery wholesalers. AGM in the correct size. I bought mine from Electro Battery in Pompton Plains, NJ. Like the Sears (I think) the unused battery posts face forward and should be capped with plastic covers to avoid shorting to the chassis, especially during the awkward installation. My battery came with the covers.

Howard

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I went the Sears route... wonder why they were discontinued?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Eight years. The answer is obvious. :wink

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Sears lasted too long; no replacement-sales

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ford GT replacement lasted me 14 months

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
4 years and still going strong (always on a tender) for a Optima red top from Costco. They are the same as the original Ford battery for about 1/3rd less.

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Dang it. 2 optimas junk.
Changed from factory tender to
New Battery Tender on second one.
Mothers day wish "GT ride to church" not going to happen.

Anyone have part number for any other solution???

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Maybe a Braille battery?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tom, Sears no longer carrys the proper replacement. There is a long thread here somewhere about the proper battery options. AutoZone has one too, endorsed by Wally (CobraR1939)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Buyer Beware!

Dang it. 2 Optimas junk.
Changed from factory tender to
New Battery Tender on second one.
Mothers day wish "GT ride to church" not going to happen.

Anyone have part number for any other solution???

Ford GT replacement lasted me 14 months

Gentlemen,

The Optima factory Ford battery that came in my Ford GT was a great battery that lasted over 7 years. The replacement Optima that I ordered from my Ford dealer lasted only two years before it was completely shot. I used to swear by Optima batteries and it is the only brand that I used in my boat and all of my cars. A couple years ago Optima moved their manufacturing operations to Mexico and started using recycled lead, recycled plastics, and battery acid sourced from China. The quality of their product has gone completely to hell. I have purchased 10 Optima batteries over the last three years and all 10 of them have gone bad. One of the two Optima batteries in my boat split and leaked battery acid into my engine compartment causing some fiberglass damage. I thought they were supposed to be dry cell and leakproof? I keep them all on battery tenders but it didn't make any difference.

The representative at my local Batteries Plus dealer told me that the only reason they still carry Optima batteries is so that they can warrantee all of the units that are going bad. They no longer sell them as a high-end battery as they have had such horrendous luck with them. Although I do accept the free warranty replacements I don't expect them to last long and I will never purchase another Optima battery whether it is sold by Ford or through a battery dealer. :thumbsdow

I used to be Optima's biggest cheerleader and one of their best customers. But it is now the last choice I would make and I highly suggest something other than Optima until they get their materials and manufacturing difficulties sorted out. All the best.

Chip

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Gentlemen,

The Optima factory Ford battery that came in my Ford GT was a great battery that lasted over 7 years. The replacement Optima that I ordered from my Ford dealer lasted only two years before it was completely shot. I used to swear by Optima batteries and it is the only brand that I used in my boat and all of my cars. A couple years ago Optima moved their manufacturing operations to Mexico and started using recycled lead, recycled plastics, and battery acid sourced from China. The quality of their product has gone completely to hell. I have purchased 10 Optima batteries over the last three years and all 10 of them have gone bad. One of the two Optima batteries in my boat split and leaked battery acid into my engine compartment causing some fiberglass damage. I thought they were supposed to be dry cell and leakproof? I keep them all on battery tenders but it didn't make any difference.

The representative at my local Batteries Plus dealer told me that the only reason they still carry Optima batteries is so that they can warrantee all of the units that are going bad. They no longer sell them as a high-end battery as they have had such horrendous luck with them. Although I do accept the free warranty replacements I don't expect them to last long and I will never purchase another Optima battery whether it is sold by Ford or through a battery dealer. :thumbsdow

I used to be Optima's biggest cheerleader and one of their best customers. But it is now the last choice I would make and I highly suggest something other than Optima until they get their materials and manufacturing difficulties sorted out. All the best.

Chip

Thanks, NAFTA! :frown

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
So what are the preferred replacements these days? AutoZone and Orielly Auto are both selling a line of AGM batteries now, any good? Correct size? What about Odyssey?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Why the heck did Sears discontinue a good quality battery :rofl

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Didn't Sears get bought by K-Mart?