Lifting window trim

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Corner of the window trim on the driver's side window has lifted a bit. Anyway to repair this?

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Its glued on. you need to strip the door, get the glass out and reglue it. Be very careful removing the door trim, very easy to bend the top corner near the top rear of the door

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
caulk it?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
What about waiting for a warm, sunny day and pushing it back down?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Its glued on. you need to strip the door, get the glass out and reglue it. Be very careful removing the door trim, very easy to bend the top corner near the top rear of the door

Ack. That sounds like more trouble than it's worth.Is that part of the trim purely cosmetic or does it provide any actual insulation from wind/moisture? I don't hear any air rushing into the cabin at speed, so my guess is the answer is the former??

How exactly is that piece secured? Can't be glued to the glass itself or the window couldn't roll down.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
The rubber section is glued to the black trim piece This was a problem on the European 101 cars when they came over into Germany. Our solution was to make up a thin hardboard former which held the rubber in the correct position which slid in between the glass and the seal. We then put more adhesive in between the seal and the black trim and left it to set with the former in position for 24 hours. It held up well.

Dave
www.gt101.co.uk

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The rubber section is glued to the black trim piece This was a problem on the European 101 cars when they came over into Germany. Our solution was to make up a thin hardboard former which held the rubber in the correct position which slid in between the glass and the seal. We then put more adhesive in between the seal and the black trim and left it to set with the former in position for 24 hours. It held up well.

Dave
www.gt101.co.uk

Thank you, Dave. Although I'm still a bit unclear as to where you put the adhesive?? The trim appears to be lifting off the glass itself. I'm a very visual-oriented person. Don't suppose you have a picture of what you did?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ed, Are you certain the trim hasn't warped (comparing driver and passenger side)? San Joaquin Valley summers will warp most anything, including minds.

If the rubber is still glued to the trim, I would suspect the trim.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed, Are you certain the trim hasn't warped (comparing driver and passenger side)? San Joaquin Valley summers will warp most anything, including minds.

If the rubber is still glued to the trim, I would suspect the trim.

Possible, Gary. Car is always garaged, but it still gets mighty toasty in there. Honestly, it may have been like that for a long time (maybe even before I bought it), but I just noticed it now and it bugs me. Without knowing how the trim is normally opposed to the glass surface, I can't tell you if it's warped or coming unglued.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't drive with your windows open.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Looking at the first pic, the rubber weather shield is definitely coming away from the metal frame. With the window completely down you may be able to carefully get it reglued.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
window seal

In your first pic the window seal is definitely coming away from the metal frame. With the window completely down you may be able to reglue it,, Here are some pics off a spare door

Attachments

• Gt window seal 001.jpg
    Gt window seal 001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 153
  • Gt window seal 002.jpg
    Gt window seal 002.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 153

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
In your first pic the window seal is definitely coming away from the metal frame. With the window completely down you may be able to reglue it,, Here are some pics off a spare door

Thanks for the pics. So is it glued to the frame only along the lower edge of the trim piece? I'll have to get a better look at it but it seems like it's just warped, as Gary suggested, and not sitting flush with the glass. I think?? it's still attached to the frame.