Sinkhole opens, swallows 8 Corvettes at NCM

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Holy cow!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/1...e-museum-swallows-cars/?cmpid=cmty_twitter_fn

A massive sinkhole that has opened up at the National Corvette Museum in Kentucky has swallowed at least eight cars, a museum official says.

Museum Executive Director Wendell Strode told the Bowling Green Daily News
external-link.png
that the sinkhole, which he estimates to be around 20 feet deep and 40 feet wide, opened up early Wednesday morning.

"This is going to be an interesting situation," he said, nothing that a structural engineer is heading to the Bowling Green facility to evaluate the damage inside its Sky Dome section.

Five of the cars in the sinkhole are owned by the museum and three others are owned by General Motors, the Courier-Journal reports
external-link.png

Strode told the newspaper that emergency personnel allowed museum staff to remove the only surviving 1983 Corvette, which was at risk of joining the other cars in the sinkhole.

“Before we do anything, like remove the other cars, we want that assessment so we know if there’s been any structural damage to the Sky Dome,” Strode told the Courier-Journal.

The area around the sinkhole is closed for visitors, but the rest of the museum remains open as of Wednesday morning.

An estimate of the cost of the damage done to vehicles and the museum has not been determined yet.

No injuries have been reported.

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Very sad day. Here's the inventory involved according to local newspaper: Two of the Corvettes damaged, a 1993 ZR-1 Spyder and a 2009 ZR1 "Blue Devil," were on loan from General Motors.The other six Corvettes were owned by the museum and included a 1962 Black Corvette, 1984 PPG Pace Car, 1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette, 1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette, 2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette and 2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette.
Marty

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Insane. What are the odds?

140212104606-02-corvette-sinkhole-horizontal-gallery.jpeg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Odds are probably not as long as you'd think. Most of Kentucky is on Karst, including all of Bowling Green.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Wow!
And the Corvette Museum is putting the final touches on a new road course adjacent to the Museum. To be open this year. Hope they have done a through foundation survey...

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Whoa. Was expecting to see a punchline....

surprised the earth didn't spit out the '84. :lol

Damn nature, you scary. :willy

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Nothing else to say but "crazy"!
Hard to beat nature.
Mark

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Sinkhole Swallows Corvettes at National Vette Museum

Not funny:http://www.freep.com/article/20140212/NEWS07/302120087/sinkhole-national-corvette-museum

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
That looks like the scene from a Die Hard film. Very sorry to hear about this.

Vince H

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
On our way to Rally V, Jeff & I stopped there and went through it - a beautiful museum. Here's a picture of the Sky Dome room where the sinkhole appeared.

View attachment 32856

and one of our GT's in the parking lot:

View attachment 32857

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What a pathetic shame.

Murphy at his finest...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Odds are probably not as long as you'd think. Most of Kentucky is on Karst, including all of Bowling Green.

There was one that swallowed the bedroom of a house and the guy inside the bedroom disappeared. Part of the house was unmolested. Scary!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have been in that room. Great place. Bet the guys at the factory next door feel real comfortable.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Very sad day, but I am happy that no one was injured and that none of the cars that were damaged were privately owned.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Craziness

[video=youtube;IukDWhf7U9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IukDWhf7U9I[/video]

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Build your house on hollowed out limestone.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ouch that is nasty we need to make sure that when we build the Ford GT museum that it’s not on sink hole!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I bet they are thinking about how they can turn that mess into an exhibit. When life gives you lemons...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The problem is, sinkholes tend to expand. That's how we got Mammoth Cave, the world's longest known cave. In Kentucky.