FGT PPI List

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
When I started searching for the right FGT for me I could not find a good PPI list for the FGT. For the benefit of others searching to buy an FGT I have attached a PPI list. A good start for anybody looking to buy a FGT but this list does not replace the need for a good FGT tech doing a PPI.

Attachments

• FGT PPI Check list.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Reactions: SullGT

FNGTG

Dec 2, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Congrats!! I also live in Cinti (West-side). I have been looking at GTs for about 1.5 years now, but just can't quite pull the trigger on one. Should have done it 18 months ago!! Let me know what local shows/cruise ins you are going to - I'd love to see your car and meet you.

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Congrats!! I also live in Cinti (West-side). I have been looking at GTs for about 1.5 years now, but just can't quite pull the trigger on one. Should have done it 18 months ago!! Let me know what local shows/cruise ins you are going to - I'd love to see your car and meet you.

I was at Fuel's Cars and Coffee on Riverside Drive last weekend. Lots of Porsche's, Lambos and Ferraris. Only 1 FGT, fun times.

Username

Spectator
May 29, 2014
Tampa, FL
Saved the PDF. Thanks! I'm hoping to find a Tungsten by the end of the year so I'll keep this in my back pocket when I look at one.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Have seen a few future GT owners out there searching and wanted to update this post. I have edited PPI check list based on brief review with Rich Brooks aka GT Guy. The intent of this PPI list is to educate the prospective GT buyer. Again, this PPI list is not a substitute for an inspection by a good GT mechanic like Rich Brooks, Rich Robach, Kendall @ cooltechLLC, etc.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kinda torn on this topic. On one hand, I always like sharing. I think for those of us that do PPI's its more of an opportunity to make another friend than to make money. So, "arming" others with an exhaustive PPI list seems like a good thing to do. But, on the other hand, our PPI list includes inspection of unique "tells" that we leverage to inspect a GT and I don't really want it to be known what these tells are. Like anything else GT inspections are a learned expertise. The advice of asking a prospective PPI person how many inspections OF GTs that they have done is importnat. The more inspections, the more the person has a sense of what's normal and what's not.

I was recently hired to inspect an in-the-wrapper GT with virtually no mileage being sold by a very large (GT Experienced) Ford dealership. Frankly I was in a little bit of a foul mood right off the bat. My time is valuable - and TIME is THE expense in a hired inspection. I had asked that the car be ready and on a 4-post lift. It wasn't. Everyone around seemed to be giddy happy with a GT out in the open and like it was a privilege that I had the good fortune to be able to inspect it. Not my perspective. I work for the buyer. I'm here to do a job. My time is valuable.

Anyway, I arrived and I'm 30' away from the car sitting over a 2-post lift. Grrrrr. The car was being presented to me as a 2006 (<100 mile) out-of-the wrapper car. From 30' and looking at the back of the car - I told the dealer rep that the car was a 2005. Nope, it's a 2006, I'm certain. Well, I said, THAT car is a 2005 so if you want me to look at a 2006 car you'd better go find one! (I suppose many people here can know how I know it was a 2005 from that distance.) Anyway, the guy finally corrected himself and admitted that maybe it was a 2005 after all - but nevertheless, it was a virgin - just as it came from the factory. Really? Now I was 5' or so from the rear of the car. So maybe one of you can explain to me why this "virgin" car has had the rear bumper removed and re-installed? Blank faces all around. After 2-3 up and downs to re-position the arms so I could get the pans off, it was pretty easy to establish that the car most likely had a clutch replaced - as for certain the transaxle had been removed.

I'll stop there. Just an illustration of what any one of several practiced GT PPI inspectors from this forum can do..... and which would be difficult for someone who may be very competent with another car make/model, but without GT experience likely may not have "caught" any of these things.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Kinda torn on this topic. On one hand, I always like sharing. I think for those of us that do PPI's its more of an opportunity to make another friend than to make money. So, "arming" others with an exhaustive PPI list seems like a good thing to do. But, on the other hand, our PPI list includes inspection of unique "tells" that we leverage to inspect a GT and I don't really want it to be known what these tells are. Like anything else GT inspections are a learned expertise. The advice of asking a prospective PPI person how many inspections OF GTs that they have done is importnat. The more inspections, the more the person has a sense of what's normal and what's not.

I was recently hired to inspect an in-the-wrapper GT with virtually no mileage being sold by a very large (GT Experienced) Ford dealership. Frankly I was in a little bit of a foul mood right off the bat. My time is valuable - and TIME is THE expense in a hired inspection. I had asked that the car be ready and on a 4-post lift. It wasn't. Everyone around seemed to be giddy happy with a GT out in the open and like it was a privilege that I had the good fortune to be able to inspect it. Not my perspective. I work for the buyer. I'm here to do a job. My time is valuable.

Anyway, I arrived and I'm 30' away from the car sitting over a 2-post lift. Grrrrr. The car was being presented to me as a 2006 (<100 mile) out-of-the wrapper car. From 30' and looking at the back of the car - I told the dealer rep that the car was a 2005. Nope, it's a 2006, I'm certain. Well, I said, THAT car is a 2005 so if you want me to look at a 2006 car you'd better go find one! (I suppose many people here can know how I know it was a 2005 from that distance.) Anyway, the guy finally corrected himself and admitted that maybe it was a 2005 after all - but nevertheless, it was a virgin - just as it came from the factory. Really? Now I was 5' or so from the rear of the car. So maybe one of you can explain to me why this "virgin" car has had the rear bumper removed and re-installed? Blank faces all around. After 2-3 up and downs to re-position the arms so I could get the pans off, it was pretty easy to establish that the car most likely had a clutch replaced - as for certain the transaxle had been removed.

I'll stop there. Just an illustration of what any one of several practiced GT PPI inspectors from this forum can do..... and which would be difficult for someone who may be very competent with another car make/model, but without GT experience likely may not have "caught" any of these things.

There's no replacement for experience . Thanks for sharing Kendall.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Kendall, makes feel even better I bought a car facilitated by you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk