Great friends, great car...GT clutch from hell.

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
A short story:
It all started so simple. Replace the clutch that a previous owner liked to make 3rd gear starts with. I called in Rich Roebeck to get the job done. This guy is a top notch mechanic, not to mention a living history book. We threw in a few goodies while we had it apart…Stillen stage one clutch, OEM flywheel and Accufab exhaust. Don Becker at Becker restoration allowed use of his magnificent shop over a week. He gave us great support. The lift, tools, food. Thanks Don! It was a social event…various friends, mechanics, dropping by to catch up and meet Rich. Did I say this guy rocks? Also a brand new owner, Kirk, a.k.a. partssman was shoulder to shoulder with us for the entire time. Unbelievable that this gent would lend his time and labor to someone he had only just met (me). Thank you Kirk. You are a great friend indeed.

Then the fun started. The clutch slave failed. Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com came through as usual and saved our bacon. Got it all together. Still had problems. Pressure loss on the clutch pedal…and oh S!!T… fluid coming out the bottom bell housing. Did the trans need to come back out? Nope. Rich did a partial tear down and found that the retaining clip on the line going to the slave had given way. He was able to fish out the part from an access port saving us from starting over. New clip snapped right in, 4 hours reassembly and was on my way home. You da man Rich.
Great commradery. Great car, that’s what it’s all about in the end. Here are some pics:

Best, Tom

Trans_out.jpgRich_Office.jpgNew_Stillen.jpgamost_there.jpg

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
How do you like the Stillen clutch? Does it feel much different than the OEM?

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
How do you like the Stillen clutch? Does it feel much different than the OEM?

The clutch effort is nearly identical to stock, perhaps a bit easier. It engages about half off the floor. It comes on strong. Took a few miles to get used to the improved performance. Rich forced me to do a "FACTORY AUTHORIZED" burnout. Just a short one mind you, but OMG what a difference. Effortless and flawless. I did research on the major clutch choices. The usual suspects. The stillen is great for general/spirited street driving. It has the same pressure plate and stock ford housing. The clutch discs are improved along with the springs. I almost bit on the matching aluminum flywheel but detoured to stock when I heard of several cases of surging idle due to over reduction of idle rotational mass. I am happy I went with this combo and highly recommend it.

Best, Tom

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
The stock clutch seems to engage a little high to me on these cars but I am still getting used to the car. Tried out Tom's new clutch and it graps right were I would expect. The Stillen clutch, I believe stage 1, appears to be the way to go for a stock motor replacement clutch. Was a great opportunity for me to learn about these cars from the inside out. Tom's new Accufab exhaust makes these cars sound like they were supposed to be.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have the stollen clutch .No issues.It apparently it is an upgrade. Rich Robach is a wonderful human being in my book!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I have the stollen clutch .No issues.It apparently it is an upgrade. Rich Robach is a wonderful human being in my book!

I 2nd it...Rich is a quality guy.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I've met Rich. Nice person!

I love my Stillen clutch. Better than stock in every way in my book.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ It must be good, since it sounds like you're starting in 3rd gear. ;)