Nitto 05 vs 05R vs Hoosier Advice

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
Not for my GT but I was hoping to get some advice here since there are so many high HP GT's.

I have been running Hoosier A-6's for 2 years now and it is time to make a change. I am really tired of two issues, number one the rocks it throws on the car, and the lack of stick when it gets cold out. Another Mosler owner was using the NT-05R with a 680 HP car and he said they hooked up and did not spin. He suggested I use them on the rear and the best Michelins available on the front.

I am currently running 345/30/19 on the rear and 285/30/18 on the front. The car is a Mosler that weighs 2,400 pounds and has 800 HP at the crank.

I was hoping I could find someone with experience with these tires on the street. I called Nitto direct and one of their distributers but I had no luck for advice.

I am mostly concerned with the weaker sidewall on the R's for handling but the question I can not get a firm answer on is how bad it will actually affect handling. My un-educated thought is that it can't be that bad since it is a 30 series tire and there isn't that much sidewall to begin with.

I would appreciate any advice i can get.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i would run Toyo's R888 if i were you....

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
I posted this on 2 forums and there have been very few replies. Maybe with some more specific information someone here will have some recent experience they could relate.

The best advice I have been given so far is that the 05R's will connect even with the HP I have. What I am looking for here is to compare how each tire will perform under hard acceleration.

So if I switch to the 05R's I was worried that they will have week sidewalls necessary for acceleration but bad for handling.

I was told that this would not be an issue as long as I make sure the rims are 1/2 inch to 1 inch wider then the molded width of the Nitto's. This concept is new to me and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
Basically as I understand it this process would try to keep the sticky nature of the R tire while limiting the possible wobbling on the tire for handling.

And the last question does the 05R pick up and throw rocks like the A-6's.

Geeteez

May 6, 2018

Hi! Since you have mentioned Toyo R888, do you know if it has the same compound with the Proxes R1R? Which has the better grip between the two? I'm trying to look for something good in the dry course and fine in damp conditions.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Sounds like a really fun car (cars). Tell us more about your two Moslers. Don't see many people with them.

Also, are you tracking the high hp Mosler? I think any R compound tire or any sticky tire is going throw rocks. No getting around that. Mickey Thompson makes the ET Street S/S. They come in 325-30-19 but throw rocks like a son of a gun but that's why they are sticky.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Not for my GT but I was hoping to get some advice here since there are so many high HP GT's.

I have been running Hoosier A-6's for 2 years now and it is time to make a change. I am really tired of two issues, number one the rocks it throws on the car, and the lack of stick when it gets cold out. Another Mosler owner was using the NT-05R with a 680 HP car and he said they hooked up and did not spin. He suggested I use them on the rear and the best Michelins available on the front.

I am currently running 345/30/19 on the rear and 285/30/18 on the front. The car is a Mosler that weighs 2,400 pounds and has 800 HP at the crank.

I was hoping I could find someone with experience with these tires on the street. I called Nitto direct and one of their distributers but I had no luck for advice.

I am mostly concerned with the weaker sidewall on the R's for handling but the question I can not get a firm answer on is how bad it will actually affect handling. My un-educated thought is that it can't be that bad since it is a 30 series tire and there isn't that much sidewall to begin with.

I would appreciate any advice i can get.

Not sure if I understand your concerns. If Tire rack has them in their system you can find all of the data including load rating. The load ratings have a safety factor built in so if it's close you going to still have some safety margin..

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
for grip nothing will beat the Hoosier

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

Good traction, but they are loud on the highway. They are also heavy compared to other tires of the same size.