Clutchless in Hilo

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
On my way back to Hilo from Rally 8, I dropped my car at the Port of San Diego to be loaded later that day onto a ship. During the hundred yard drive from the parking lot to the ship’s ramp, the car “decelerated”, according to the shipping company, and would not move under its own power. (Apparently, something broke at that point. My first thought was of the axle bolts - although mine had been replaced and I have not heard of replacement bolts breaking.)

The car arrived in Hilo yesterday and was delivered to my local Ford dealer. I checked that the clutch pedal seems to work normally - but when engaged the car does not move. Today, I was informed by the dealer that the problem is inside the clutch - not an external linkage and not the axle bolts.

My GT has 45,000 miles on it. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
[video=youtube;_S7AyiVfNdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7AyiVfNdA[/video]

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
So, is your dealer guessing or did they actually take apart the transmission and find the exact problem? If it's definitely the clutch, fluids are ok and linkages are ok, then perhaps someone at the shipping company did some smoky burnouts and fried your clutch? Hope not. Let us know.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Good thing it didn't happen during the Rally while driving Dave.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...then perhaps someone at the shipping company did some smoky burnouts and fried your clutch?

...or used 3rd gear in place of 1st and slipped the clutch a lot trying to get the car up the ramp referred to above.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I can't imagine there is anything the shipping company could have done, assuming there is no way they went for a joy ride. I don't understand what "problem inside the clutch" could mean. I would suspect the hydraulic circuit first. Hope you have someone besides that Ford dealer to help you out.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Clutch seemed fine at the Rally!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
...or used 3rd gear in place of 1st and slipped the clutch a lot trying to get the car up the ramp referred to above.
This makes the most sense to me.Having loaded no less than 50 GT's on to transports the clutches do get smelly.If in fact the 3 gear thing is true than it makes some sense to me.But I am no expert by any means.Maybe an expert could jump in here....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree with Ron. Several 3rd gear attempts at loading up a ramp can be death. Treated "normally" I see no reason why GT clutches can't last like any ordinary car - 70-100K miles or more any kind of misuse - whether intentional or not, can do it in.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I agree 3rd gear start. I have had a few friends that know how to drive sticks start out in third even after I told them to make sure they are in first. I think most people think first is reverse in the gt. The first time I drive a gt I did the same so I would think that was the issue. They don't want to take blame. Also hard to prove I guess.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.

I agree with the consensus; 3rd gear ramp attempt. I guess the next step will be to file a claim with the shipping company and get ready to go to small claims court when they reject the claim.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Dave sorry to hear about you car but sure enjoyed you company on the trip to Tahoe.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
thanks, guys. I appreciate all of your opinions and advice.

I agree with the consensus; 3rd gear ramp attempt. I guess the next step will be to file a claim with the shipping company and get ready to go to small claims court when they reject the claim.
agreed

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
No Clutch...bummer. Easy fix however.

Take photo's of the flywheel for your "evidence file". And take the old clutch to court with you. It probably still has that burnt smell to it. And hope for a car guy judge.

Ask Matson for their video of your GT being loaded.

Or get the plumbers in Hilo to call their friends at the local in L.A.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Hilo Dave, bummer on the clutch. I hope its a simple fix.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
No Clutch...bummer. Easy fix however.

Take photo's of the flywheel for your "evidence file". And take the old clutch to court with you. It probably still has that burnt smell to it. And hope for a car guy judge.

Ask Matson for their video of your GT being loaded.

Or get the plumbers in Hilo to call their friends at the local in L.A.

Good ideas, Jeff. Thanks.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Dave
Sorry to hear of your problem after so many miles together at the Rally and trips before/after. I have had only one clutch go bad in 50 years of driving, and it did not just "give up" as it sounds like Matson is trying to tell you. The one I had went bad with time, not suddenly. If there was a problem with it, I would think you would have had an indication while on one of our trips, or at least when delivering it to Matson.

Good luck my friend! I hope the resolution is as simple as the clutch, and you are back rolling again soon.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Interestingly, when Ford started importing the Pantera a large number of clutch issues appeared in brand new cars. Investigation pointed to the dock workers racing the cars around the docks. Perhaps history repeats itself.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Someday, I'll relate a clutch story (non-GT) to you, Dave!

Ralphei

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Time for a pulley swap and a clutch upgrade.