Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning about soft close door system on Bentley Continental

Default Warning about soft close door system on Bentley Continental

This is a warning to all owners of the Bentley Continental. The Bentley Continental features a “Soft Close” Power Latching Door System that engages the door just before it closes and uses powerful electric motors to pull the door shut and latch it automatically. This system does not appear to have a safety built into it to stop the power latching motor system from closing the door when a hand or finger is in the way. My wife’s Bentley crushed her thumb flatter than a pancake when the soft close power latching door system closed the door on it. To make matters worse, the door jammed and she was unable to open the door while her thumb was crushed in the door for several minutes. The pain was so unbearable that she eventually passed out. Luckily a man came to her rescue and opened the door. The man that opened the door stated that it took both his hands and all his strength to open the door. My wife was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and held for observation as she is 62 years old and her blood pressure was very high and she was in a state of shock not to mention the severe damage to her thumb. The doctors had to drill holes in her thumb to release the pressure and place a splint on it because it was shattered. My wife was in pain for many months after the accident, and her thumb is permanently deformed. However we feel lucky that she didn’t have a heart attack and die that day due to the extreme physical stress of the situation. Please be careful with your hands and fingers around the doors on the Bentley Continental when they shut, and be especially careful around small children so that they don’t get their hands crushed in the doors.

Name:  Thumb on 3-28-12 (716x1024).jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  41.6 KBName:  7-11-12 Thumb (4) (567x800).jpg
Views: 858
Size:  227.1 KBName:  7-23-12 Thumb (7) (679x800).jpg
Views: 941
Size:  194.3 KBName:  Thumb on 3-12-12 (736x1024).jpg
Views: 844
Size:  73.1 KB
    Attended: Rally II (bar greeting only)

Thanks for the warning. I don't have a Bentley, but my BMW has the same soft close feature. I wish your wife a quick and complete recovery.
    BlackICE

Damn.. I wonder if anybody with a Bentley can afford PI attorney? That first picture looks crazy, I’ve never seen a thumb that big?

All kidding aside, I’m sorry to hear your wife was hurt. I hope it heal quickly (and I hope she doesn’t take it out on you).
    I'm Just Say'n!!!

Wow, so sorry, I accidentally slammed my thumb in the door of a hunting truck on our lease a couple of years ago and I thought I was going to have a heart attach trying to get it out. I could literally feel my heart beating through the end of my thumb all night for weeks. I was alone on the lease and went through hell, having to drill through my thumb nail with my hunting knife to ease the pressure. Not fun. Not sure if I would ever purchase an automobile with a slow close system. Could imagine this happening with a child which would be horrible. Hope your wife has a speedy recovery.
    Rally II, Rally III, Rally IV, Rally V,Rally VII, Barrett-Jackson 07, 08, 09,10

2006 Ford GT #1142 Purchased New May 11, 2006
    1970 Ford Mustang Blue 428 SCJ Fastback 1 of 42 blt. Drag Pack
    May Daniel Rest In Peace
    May Ray fly high with the Angels

OMG what a terrible ordeal ! I hope she recovers soon
    2005 Quicksilver/No Stripe, 4.0 Whipple, GT Guys X-Pipe, GT Guys Cold Air Intake
    2005 Red/White Stripe
    2009 Texas Rally IV
    2010 VIR Rally V
    2012 New Orleans Rally VII
    2013 Texas Mile 203.7 mph

ex-GT Owner/ B.o.D

^^^ What they all said!

Can anyone 'splain to me the logic behind such a system? Like maybe Rube Goldberg heads the 'overkill gadgets' design dept at Bentley?
    "The cheapest way to pay for anything is with money." (unk)

This does not sound like German engineering. Soft-close locks are common on minivans and SUV hatches. I need to find a pseudo-finger and stick it under my Touareg hatch.

ex-GT Owner/ B.o.D

On rear hatches and trunk lids...not on doors. Why doors? 'Would seem like that's just asking for trouble.
    "The cheapest way to pay for anything is with money." (unk)

GT Owner

Another gadget which is a "solution" to a nonexistent problem. Hope she feels better. I smashed my ring finger with a 22 oz framing hammer 6 months ago and I am just now getting a fingernail which appears slightly human.

GT Owner

My MB S class has the same feature
    2006 Ford GT
    1966 Sunbeam Tiger
    2012 Jaguar XKR-S
    1972 Jaguar E Type
    1983 Delorean
    2003 Esprit
    1977 280Z
    1991 MR 2
    1982 BJ-42
    2014 McLaren 50-12C