Locked Out

richardson221

GT Owner
Jun 2, 2007
Car had been siting for 2 months without trickle charger. When bat. went dead, the locked down automatically trapping my only key inside.
Is there anyway to access bat. from underneath to apply power? Is so, will that unlock door so I can get in?
If not possible, would a lock smith be able to open car or do I need to go to ford with VIN and get new key?
Thanks for any help

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
call 1 800 241 ford. roadside assistance. they might be able to help.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If the car is locked and you have no remote, charging the battery won't help you. To get power to the car, you can remove the diffuser (rear) pan and access the positive battery lead on the starter. It is connected directly to the battery. Find a suitable ground and you can charge the battery from there.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Why can't you just open the "trunk" with the key? There is a key hole next to the latch on the driver side for this purpose. Once open, remove the inner tub and you have direct access to the battery?
Am I missing something???

As I reread post one, I see the only key is locked inside the car. So guess my suggestion is not going to work. Agree with Sinovac, if you have no key fob to use, recharging the battery does no good.

Locksmith time or ford dealer possibly with the VIN. And note to self, do not leave key in car....(or get a spare and leave outside car)

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Why can't you just open the "trunk" with the key? There is a key hole next to the latch on the driver side for this purpose. Once open, remove the inner tub and you have direct access to the battery?
Am I missing something??? [

As I reread post one, I see the only key is locked inside the car. So guess my suggestion is not going to work. Agree with Sinovac, if you have no key fob to use, recharging the battery does no good.

Locksmith time or ford dealer possibly with the VIN. And note to self, do not leave key in car....(or get a spare and leave outside car)

He said he only has one key

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Not to hijack, but recently I had mine up on jack stands, and was warming it up prior to changing the oil. Neither window was open but clamshell was open, and. after starting, I closed the door. Seems that if the engine is running, the doors automatically lock. No problem, I thought - and got the second key.

Nope - doesn't work. Turns out that if the motor is running, even the 2nd key won't open the door!! So, there I sat watching the car running (wheels were off and it was in 3rd gear with the rotors spinning away, and no way to get in and turn it off. Was I going to have to have it run through a tank of gas before it would stop and let me in?? So, I started pulling connectors - when I pulled the MAF the tone changed and upon plugging it back in, the engine died.

Whew - 2nd key would then open the door!

Got back in and repeated the procedure, except for lowering both windows!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ralphie:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 270

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Not to hijack, but recently I had mine up on jack stands, and was warming it up prior to changing the oil. Neither window was open but clamshell was open, and. after starting, I closed the door. Seems that if the engine is running, the doors automatically lock. No problem, I thought - and got the second key.

Nope - doesn't work. Turns out that if the motor is running, even the 2nd key won't open the door!! So, there I sat watching the car running (wheels were off and it was in 3rd gear with the rotors spinning away, and no way to get in and turn it off. Was I going to have to have it run through a tank of gas before it would stop and let me in?? So, I started pulling connectors - when I pulled the MAF the tone changed and upon plugging it back in, the engine died.

The second key couldn't even open the door manually via the keyhole??

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The second key couldn't even open the door manually via the keyhole??
That should work. It's completely mechanical.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
That should work. It's completely mechanical.

Yup. Not sure why Ford would have put an ugly keyhole in the door if it didn't provide a purely mechanical means of unlocking the door.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yup ,Thats not going to work
Am I missing something???

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
The Ford dealer should be able to cut you a key off the VIN. Obviously you will need proof of ownership and ID, but from my Ford days, I believe the key code database goes back to 2001.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not sure I understand what is happening. All of the key locks on the GT are mechanical. If a second key existed, and can open the trunk lever, it should have also opened the driver's side door key lock. Unless it is a copy and not quite good (which can happen).

Suggestion: Go to your hardware store and have a key made. It won't start the engine but it will have two attributes:

1. It will open the trunk/driver door
2. It will be flat and fit in your wallet.

I panicked yesterday at a car show. I usually leave the key hanging on one of the switches. I looked and it wasn't there (but the doors were open) and I'd been in the trunk and feared I might have dropped it in there. I didn't. I have had such keys made for my other cars (Cobra and Mustangs) and didn't yet get one for the GT. It's on today's list...

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I had a door/trunk only key made. Blank was for a Focus.

Fits in my wallet. Great to give to the "gotta leave a key" valet.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Folks use ur battery tenders

-plug in wall 24/7 and leave;
-have cord sit along edge of wall;
-pull car in , open door, reach over while seated
-plug into cigarette lighter
-close door, cord fits under rubber gasket
-done.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Folks use ur battery tenders

-plug in wall 24/7 and leave;
-have cord sit along edge of wall;
-pull car in , open door, reach over while seated
-plug into cigarette lighter
-close door, cord fits under rubber gasket
-done.

My exact routine it helps those of us with memory issues

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

If I'm understanding this correctly when the car is running and you closed the doors it locks or is it because the clam shell was open. Even then it makes no sense that someone would design a car that locks the doors just because the engine is running when the car isn't moving.

AJK

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If I'm understanding this correctly when the car is running and you closed the doors it locks or is it because the clam shell was open. Even then it makes no sense that someone would design a car that locks the doors just because the engine is running when the car isn't moving.

AJK
His wheels were off and the rotors were turning.

I think Frank posted the procedure on how to turn off the automatic door locking.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

AJK

I don't think the clamshell had anything to do with it. I believe the doors locked when the engine was running. I didn't try to open the door with the mechanical door key location, as I have tried that before, and it takes quite a bit of pressure to open it - so much that I'm afraid of twisting off the key in the mechanism. As I only had one chance to do this, I looked for alternative ways to shut down the engine, since the clamshell was open. I would have pulled plug wires before trying the mechanical door opening.

The car thought it was moving, as it was on jackstands and in gear with no wheels - as I wanted to warm up the transaxle, for I was also replacing the gear oil there.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Read your owner's manual on how to shut off auto-locking.