Sep 23, 2008
race deck

Is there a discount for the members on this forum to purchase race deck

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I bought mine while in Utah for R6 and am fairly happy with it. It does "click" when you walk on it and the instructions say not to put anything under it. My biggest complaint is how much it warps when the door is open and the direct sunlight hits it. The checkered pattern at the entrance has a black ramped border and warps up about 2" in a couple of places when the sun is on it. I have the recommended 1/2" gap on each side but because of the lift it is probably confining the expansion.

2014a.jpg

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Is there a discount for the members on this forum to purchase race deck

Yes there is - anyone interested send me an PM or when you call / email, mention your are a FordGtForum Member :biggrin

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
A few times a year they also run specials with decreased prices and free shipping
= huge savings. That is how I got mine for my 34ft x 24 ft garage. If you go to there website, you can play with your own pattern and save it. They will invariably send you emails when they run their specials.

Stu

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
In addition to the FGT member discounts all year long, we are having a one day sale this Friday (5th) where we are blowing out some custom overrun floors, demo floors and deals on all garage flooring products, including Free Shipping

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I did not know about forum member discounts. However, the quote I got from RaceDeck was substantially lower than retail and comparable to top quality epoxy (surface prep, expansion gap filler, two coats epoxy, two gloss coats, full flecks).

I decided to go epoxy. Local small business (Gulf Coast Garage Floors, which consists of one guy...the owner). American Garage of Tampa's quote was 40% higher for the same treatment, so it pays to shop around.

I'll probably put RaceDeck in the dedicated GT space after I figure out a lift, cabinets, etc.

Appreciate all the comments. Before and after pics to come in a few weeks.

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Any members who happen to have a good photo of their garage with RaceDeck and a FGT in it, we would love to see. We are working on updating our gallery http://www.racedeck.com/gallery/ and other items... Thanks :thumbsup

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Here is a pic of my floor...and GT

Attachments

• GT and Floor.jpg
    GT and Floor.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 468

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice looking garage Stu.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Thanks....now if I could only neaten up everything that is not in the picture

xjsteve

GT Owner
Jan 24, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Polished concrete

I know I'm being rather boring but I use half my shop to work on cars (no actual talent implied as I always have a fire extinguisher by the ready) and so staining/dropping oil etc. is a problem. Over the years I've got quotes, even purchased 100ft square of Racedeck just to see how it performed. I've spoken to commercial guys who had the epoxy done professionally and it peeled up. So, boring as it is, I am considering polished concrete to at least add a little sheen to the space. Not sure if you can tint the concrete after the polish. Anybody have experience with the polished option?

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I have a commercial property in which we installed 10,000 sq ft of polished concrete in the office development portion. It was professionally installed about 7 yrs ago. The installer had not taken the time to clean or prep the new concrete and as a result all of the forklift marks, chalk lines, etc were visible through the finish. The tenant was so unhappy, I ended up covering it up with slate tile.
I have seen polished floors with beautifully acid staining that I would love to have but I'm not sure the clear coat applied to the top surface would be any more or less durable than an epoxy finish.........I'm sure it is fully dependant on your choice of installers.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I vote for ceramic or even better porcelain tile. Good deals at major warehouses (I bought mine from Loews). I used epoxy grout. More exspensive but indestructible, and won't absorb oils etc. also easier to clean. Those living in the south and west where everything is Tiled , I am sure you can find reasonable installation costs.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have a commercial property in which we installed 10,000 sq ft of polished concrete in the office development portion. It was professionally installed about 7 yrs ago. The installer had not taken the time to clean or prep the new concrete and as a result all of the forklift marks, chalk lines, etc were visible through the finish. The tenant was so unhappy, I ended up covering it up with slate tile.
I have seen polished floors with beautifully acid staining that I would love to have but I'm not sure the clear coat applied to the top surface would be any more or less durable than an epoxy finish.........I'm sure it is fully dependant on your choice of installers.

Clear coat or any kind of resin on top of a polished concrete floor can be a major pain. I have a couple residential properties that use resin on top of a prepared concrete surface to achieve a "warehouse" look. They skip the repeated passes they do in regular concrete polishing and just grind down the weak top layer, then use the clear coat to level the surface. I've had the joy of making the contractor redo this repeatedly to eliminate sections that have become unacceptably milky after curing. Looks great for the brief period of time it's totally new. Assuming they do it right though, if the clear coat gets scuffed up badly, the only way to really return it to a like new condition is to nuke it and redo it. Not my first choice for a high traffic area.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I know I'm being rather boring but I use half my shop to work on cars (no actual talent implied as I always have a fire extinguisher by the ready) and so staining/dropping oil etc. is a problem. Over the years I've got quotes, even purchased 100ft square of Racedeck just to see how it performed. I've spoken to commercial guys who had the epoxy done professionally and it peeled up. So, boring as it is, I am considering polished concrete to at least add a little sheen to the space. Not sure if you can tint the concrete after the polish. Anybody have experience with the polished option?

2 yrs ago I did our main shop floor in polished concrete. Ground down to expose aggregate then acetone stained and polished to fine sheen. Even put some stained graphics in. Blended some colors we liked. Has a very natural and varied feel. No issues with stains from spills, even dumped an entire GT oil drain pan on the floor and didn't see it till the next morning. It wiped up with a little mineral spirits and next day had disappeared completely. Nothing on top of it, just polished concrete. Use a pro that does industrial floors and shows up with their own generator trucks and propane burnishers to get a good sheen and sealed top. There are varied levels of ground finishes and endless colors. We use sweeping compound to keep it shiny. Pic below.

car floor.jpg

floor.jpg

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
2 yrs ago I did our main shop floor in polished concrete. Ground down to expose aggregate then acetone stained and polished to fine sheen. Even put some stained graphics in. Blended some colors we liked. Has a very natural and varied feel. No issues with stains from spills, even dumped an entire GT oil drain pan on the floor and didn't see it till the next morning. It wiped up with a little mineral spirits and next day had disappeared completely. Nothing on top of it, just polished concrete. Use a pro that does industrial floors and shows up with their own generator trucks and propane burnishers to get a good sheen and sealed top. There are varied levels of ground finishes and endless colors. We use sweeping compound to keep it shiny. Pic below.

View attachment 29770

View attachment 29769

Wow I love that!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thanks, we like it too.

full floor.jpg

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime