Tachometer failed today

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Mine have died dozens of times over 40k miles, but as soon as the battery gets fully-charged they've always come back (fingers crossed!)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mine have died dozens of times over 40k miles, but as soon as the battery gets fully-charged they've always come back

Two different things.

1. Battery below 12v so gauge control module doesn't complete handshake with all of the gauges that will be accessible for that entire start/run sequence.

2. Failed gauge internals.

ALL GT's can/will experience 1) above if battery voltage becomes too low. When battery voltage is restored - typically after a short run cylcle, the next start sequence will generally yield a successful handshake and therefore full gauge operation.

2) is a fatal flaw and it is not recoverable - except through gauge replacement.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
OP - we now have the capability to fix the OEM tachs and speedos. Prices and shipping logistics will be posted shortly....

This...is fabulous news!!! Thank you Kendall!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
OP - we now have the capability to fix the OEM tachs and speedos. Prices and shipping logistics will be posted shortly....

Would this include "fixing" Tachs and Speedos before they actually fail?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
The last response to this thread is nearly two years old.

@nota4re, were you able to effect repair of the Tach and Speedo? If so, what are the details?

My speedo is in need or repair.

Thanks!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We can have the tach and/or speedo repaired. Will use your gauge case, glass, cover, needle, background - just the guts are replaced elimination the air core drive with a stepper-motor design. Cost is $750. Takes about 5 business days.

Cool Tech LLC
25071 Wintergreen Ct.
Newhall, CA 91381

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
We can have the tach and/or speedo repaired. Will use your gauge case, glass, cover, needle, background - just the guts are replaced elimination the air core drive with a stepper-motor design. Cost is $750. Takes about 5 business days.

Cool Tech LLC
25071 Wintergreen Ct.
Newhall, CA 91381
If your still doing this I think I might pull the tach and send to you.. The needle fell off the shaft years ago ... it appears like its in place but when you look close you can see it has disconnected from the shaft.
What is my alternative to purchase a new one with the same OEM guts that we here keep failing?
What is the cost of a new tach?
Thanks!