Vin locations?

Can anyone list all the places where the VIN is located on a GT, including stamps and stickers, with a bit more precision than "right front fender"? I've read there are 17, but don't know if that's true.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Besides the standard locations, I was told every major body panel had the VIN stamped on it but don't know the locations (nor if they are all in the same place).

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Besides the standard locations, I was told every major body panel had the VIN stamped on it but don't know the locations (nor if they are all in the same place).

Not sure that they were stamped...I think some may just have been written on with a marker.

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
front bumper has a sticker at thr bottom lip ,left and right fender has stickers with the vin around the marker lights ,rear facia has vin stickers aroun the marker lights left and right side ,deck lid has vin sticker,left and right door has a vin sticker .hood has a vin sticker .the hood and decklid are the hard oanes to see specialy the deck lid requires to be pulled so that makes it a total of 9 on the body panels that i have found ,besides the one on the drivers door ,dash, trans axle, engine ,and frame .there might be more but these are the oanes i found so far.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I have searched but haven't found any better threads than this in regards to body panel VIN sticker location.

My main question is where should you expect to see VIN stickers visible without disassembling anything, particularly in regards to body panels?

TIA

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
For looking check into getting a borescope?

https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-De...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CP3FDKFGTESPNN9XHTT4

Bigger question is why do you need to? Did you buy a 2nd- 3rd hand FGT or want to check any damage not reported you are worried about? If I had that concern - send to the GTGuys

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the frame/chassis has 2 VINs stamped. 1 on the bottom side of the rear cross member under the transaxle and 1 up front on the passenger side on the angled brace at firewall from apron area to A pillar. wheel liner has to be pulled to see it. fenders have the OEM sticker with VIN usually around the side marker lamp area but wheel liner has to be pulled to see it. the hood has the VIN sticker in the front beak area. easy to see with hood open and a mirror. same as the clamshell. usually centered on the back edge with clam open and a mirror. have also seen some VINs on the back side of the 1/4 panels below the side scoops but not very time. I believe it's 17 spots in total. maybe Rich can verify as well.
Also, there is a special chassis number stamped on the back side of the rear RH frame upright. this number has nothing to do with the VIN but from what I've always heard, there is a chassis number list that coincides with the VINs that I have to believe someone has. I truly think that list will someday separate the men from the boys on what cars have never been touched or have had a chassis change which I know there are several. those 2 coinciding numbers will help dictate value in the future. jmo

Last edited:

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Bigger question is why do you need to?

My car's panels all have prominently displayed stickers called Phantom Invisible Footprints Vehicle Security by 3M. Reading indicates this was a small added-cost dealer-level item. Seeing those stickers simply got me curious as to what the factory stickers look like.

..... the hood has the VIN sticker in the front beak area. easy to see with hood open and a mirror. same as the clamshell. usually centered on the back edge with clam open and a mirror. have also seen some VINs on the back side of the 1/4 panels below the side scoops but not very time. I believe it's 17 spots in total.

Very helpful, thx. Allowed me to go straight to seeing a couple of 'em. A little surprised they look like a simple paper label that might decay or fall off over enough years. The comparable stickers on my '98 Supra are a more specialized product designed to be permanent, hard to replicate, not removable, and located in more readily visible locations.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Generally VIN tag locations are not published. Most manufacturers, if not all, have hidden vin stamping & tags. The exact locations are closely held and usually only shared with law enforcement agencies and insurance companies for positive identifications.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Generally VIN tag locations are not published. Most manufacturers, if not all, have hidden vin stamping & tags. The exact locations are closely held and usually only shared with law enforcement agencies and insurance companies for positive identifications.

very true. quite a few people on this forum have had these cars apart enough to spot all the VINs. while Ford used to put blank stamped VIN labels on the body service parts, it appears they've gotten away from that practice in the last few years. the blank tags just said OEM replacement part.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Regarding what NorthwoodGT said,..if you do an oil change and look around you will see your VIN stamped on the frame. Certainly something you wanna see.