Muffler replacement recommendation needed

I want to replace my present muffler (a Borla/Ford Racing with a loose baffle), and like the idea of an x-pipe type because it's lighter, can be heat wrapped to reduce engine bay temps, and can be a bit louder. The question is, which pipe? There are many available (Accufab, Stillen, GT Guy, CoolTech, etc). However, from reading messages here, I know that some resonate and produce an unpleasant drone at highway speeds. I have no way to select among them because I don't live near any other owners.

Advice? Comments?

Thanks!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sorry, no advice, but how do you know it has a loose baffle? Buzzy sound? Rattle? I ask because my FRPP/Borla is buzzy just off idle and again at around 2k rpm.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Borla may repair the muffler under warranty if it has a loose "baffle." Actually no baffles are inside, but some of the internal bracing could be loose.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
All the X pipes, H pipes sounds quite similar. It depends on your preference on looks of the tip. If you like the organic/industrial looks, Accufab is the one (this is the one I have). If you like the fancier/refined looks, Cool Tech, GT Guys and Heffner would be your choice.

GTED

There's a rattle at idle. I would not have noticed it, but Rich R. (GT Tech) who did my PPI, pointed it out. It seems to be getting worse, as he predicted, so .... See below for message about Borla fix.

Sorry, no advice, but how do you know it has a loose baffle? Buzzy sound? Rattle? I ask because my FRPP/Borla is buzzy just off idle and again at around 2k rpm.

I don't know what's inside; I assumed baffles and therefore some possible extra back pressure from things moving around. If no baffles, perhaps no effects from loose bits ...?

I called Borla after I got the car. They will not fix or replace the muffler. However, they will give a substantial discount towards a new one. But, if I'm going to spend a bundle anyway, why not consider trying something else that has some other advantages?

Borla may repair the muffler under warranty if it has a loose "baffle." Actually no baffles are inside, but some of the internal bracing could be loose.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You may have a similar problem to 911Teo.

I just installed a new Borla on my car. The construction seems different than the ones in this thread. Welds are very cleanly done. The outer shell is made of 4 pieces. One wraps around more than 3 sides with the 2nd panel being a strip that the pipes mount to and 2 end plates.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-problems/page4&highlight=borla+muffler+welds

Attachments

• P1020192.jpg
    P1020192.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 540

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Go with no muffler and X-pipe type exhaust, I went from stock to Ford Racing Muffler to the X and it sounds just wicked ( no Drone )

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hey BlackICE

I looked at the bottom of your pic. I think you should call a toe truck...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Go with no muffler and X-pipe type exhaust, I went from stock to Ford Racing Muffler to the X and it sounds just wicked ( no Drone )

Gentlemen,

Everybody has their own standards here and I personally own 5 different exhaust systems for my Ford GT and I've driven and/or ridden in a GT with just about everything available. I currently have a Heffner H-Pipe on my GT with turbos and no cats. It has a droan between 1700 and 2200 RPM. EVERY single X-Pipe and H-Pipe exhaust, with or without cats, with or without turbos, will have that droan and it's right where you cruse (70 to 90mph) in 6th gear. EXCEPT for the stock muffler and the Borla (Ford Racing) exhaust you need to be willing to put up with it. I've had owners tell me that THEIR X-Pipe had no droan and they took me for a drive to prove it. At 75mph in 6th gear their GT was droaning like crazy. When I pointed it out they said, "Oh, I didn't consider that a droan". Anyway, I love the sound of my GT at car shows and while driving fun roads so I'm not gonna change it BUT.....I can't have a conversation with Renea while we are cruising at 80mph because the droan drowns her out, especially with my poor hearing. Trust me on this, there is not a single no-muffler system without that damn droan. Not one.

Chip

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I wonder why Borla hasn't offered to fix or replace your muffler ("Million Mile Warranty"), though the expense of shipping that beast to their factory would be huge. I'm very happy with my Borla, and as Chip said, no drone.

Howard

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I put an X-Pipe on and the drone drives me crazy. I get a headache in 15 minutes, even going slow around town. Have not taken the car for a trip since. Guess I need to switch back to the Ford Racing muffler (stock was lost as I couldn't fit it in car on 3.5 hour trip home). I wear ear plugs but have not tried it out for longer trips. Someone suggested wrapping it in header tape to lessen drone, but that did not help.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Trust me on this, there is not a single no-muffler system without that damn droan. Not one.

Chip

:agree:

That's why I installed the Borla muffler. IMO no real performance lost compared to a X or H pipe, with the exception of more heat and weight. The thing weighs about 38 LBS. Less than the stock one at about 54 lbs. but not as light as X or H pipe that are about 10 to 12 lbs.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
JBA EXHAUST makes a muffler for the GT!!! I have one on my GT for about 5 years now, NO PROBLEMS!!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I guess I'll put up with a little unexplained buzzing with the Borla. Overall, I like it better than stock. Stock is nice at WOT, but just too tame otherwise. For those who listen to the revving in neutral, that in no way tells you what to expect while driving. What seems tame revving in neutral (e.g, the Borla), is an entirely different animal at WOT under load...and while cruising in 6th. The Borla goes from tame and socially responsible in your neighborhood to VERY LOUD at WOT. I think it's a good compromise, but that is a very personal choice depending on who you're competing with, your own hearing loss, etc.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am very happy with my borla - nice overall but definitely not very loud or aggressive.
My wife didnt want it to be too loud during our frequent drives.

Some folks have removed their cats, while using the borla, with even better sound reported.
I havent tried that yet though.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I just run a gear higher. I do the same thing in my GT500 that has the Borla system from Shelby. Cruising the highway in 6th is almost painful in it. I didn't buy either car for gas mileage so cruising at higher RPM's doesn't bother me.

I'm not the first owner and don't have the receipt. Ergo, no warranty.

I wonder why Borla hasn't offered to fix or replace your muffler ("Million Mile Warranty"), though the expense of shipping that beast to their factory would be huge. I'm very happy with my Borla, and as Chip said, no drone.

Howard

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Agreed Chip.

I run the Stillen with stock manifolds and cats. My drone is 5th gear cruising at 1,800-2,000 RPMs. I go into 6th and lose the drone but RPMs are too low to cruise for my taste.

Anyway, while it may be a "drone", I like the sound of the engine at any speed/sound and feel for the guys that can't stand it. That would be a major bummer.