Muffler replacement recommendation needed

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Hi Guys,

I installed the FRPP muffler just prior to going to the rally this year. I'm thrilled with my decision and so far no rattles. But there is a drone in the 2,000 rpm range as most of you have also identified. It's not that bothersome when taking short trips on flat ground but on longer drives it can start to get a little annoying.

Question: Has anyone wrapped the pipes/cats after the stock headers with this setup and does it in fact decrease the magnitude of the drone?

I'd appreciate any input you have.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Hmmm. I have the same muffler. Just like Pete's experience, no drone.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Thanks Howard. That is strange. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it. I just recently swapped it so the absence of any drone with the stock set up is fresh in my mind.

Anyone else with the same experience as me?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
No drone. And I have long tube headers going into the FRPP muffler.

To me, "drone" means an unpleasant resonance (synchronous vibrations). There is no resonance at any rpm. Of course, the music is louder, but no drone.

The 1st generation FRPP mufflers were prone to cracked welds and rotting guts, which produced unpleasant vibrations at certain engine speeds. The 2nd generation mufflers cured these problems. You can tell 1st gen by the external welds at the ends. The welds are not visible on the 2nd gen. There are other threads on this issue.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Thanks Howard. That is strange. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it. I just recently swapped it so the absence of any drone with the stock set up is fresh in my mind.

Anyone else with the same experience as me?

Yes. But with the FRPP muffler it is very faint. But it is there. Nothing compared to the droan of the 4 other H and X pipes I've had on my GT. With my current hearing problems that Borla FRPP muffler is the loudest system I can use and still converse in the car.

Chip

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
With my tinnitus I can't hear any exhaust drone. Actually I hear a drone 24/7! LOL!

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
With my tinnitus I can't hear any exhaust drone. Actually I hear a drone 24/7! LOL!

Ed

Ed, your tinnitus must be atypical. Typical tinnitus symptoms are a lost of high frequency hearing response starting at >4K Hz. with a imagined high frequency ringing sound. The FGT drone is way down and way less than 500 Hz and isn't masked by tinnitus. I should know I have both tinnitus and the Borla muffler. It does slightly drone but way less than anything else but stock. :lol

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think my passenger Heidi's conversation covers the drone! Ha!

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No drone in 35k miles.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Yes. But with the FRPP muffler it is very faint. But it is there. Nothing compared to the droan of the 4 other H and X pipes I've had on my GT. With my current hearing problems that Borla FRPP muffler is the loudest system I can use and still converse in the car.

Chip

No drone in 35k miles.

No drone. And I have long tube headers going into the FRPP muffler.

To me, "drone" means an unpleasant resonance (synchronous vibrations). There is no resonance at any rpm. Of course, the music is louder, but no drone.

The 1st generation FRPP mufflers were prone to cracked welds and rotting guts, which produced unpleasant vibrations at certain engine speeds. The 2nd generation mufflers cured these problems. You can tell 1st gen by the external welds at the ends. The welds are not visible on the 2nd gen. There are other threads on this issue.

Good to know guys. Thanks for your responses.

I haven't detected any vibrations or rattles that I would consider failed interior parts. The sound is clean and clear but when driving under load at ~ 2,000 rpm there is a moderate low frequency resonance in the cabin. It is load dependent as it increases with engine load.

No big deal, ultimately I think it was a great upgrade that I'll learn to live with. I will try experimenting with some wrap around some of the pipes and see what that does. If I learn anything, I'll post to update you all.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I think my passenger Heidi's conversation covers the drone! Ha!

Ed

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing regarding my wife. But with Jen it's not the conversation that drown's out the noise but her insistence on turning on the stereo to listen to her "tunes". Funny because I can't remember the last time I turned on the radio myself in the GT!

Last edited:

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I haven't detected any vibrations or rattles that I would consider failed interior parts. The sound is clean and clear but when driving under load at ~ 2,000 rpm there is a moderate low frequency resonance in the cabin. It is load dependent as it increases with engine load.

I have the FRPP with otherwise stock exhaust, and would describe my aural experience the same. Resonance/drone volume peaks around 2200 rpm. I really like everything else about the tone and volume of the exhaust, but I'd love to find a way to improve it. It does seem slightly better as carbon has built up from use.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Good to know Beez! Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know if I discover anything.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hello,

looking to install X-Pipe Ford no longer stocks gaskets any suggestions for alternatives?

Thank you
Steve

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That surprises me, but if they are truly not available:

http://www.cometic.com/p-35446-custom-gaskets.html

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
steve,
i reached out to see if i can get them for you...waiting on a response...

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hello, for clarification I ordered these exhaust gaskets from Toronto area, Vaughan managed to find some in Memphis warehouse, may be easier to order US side? TY Steve

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Hello,

looking to install X-Pipe Ford no longer stocks gaskets any suggestions for alternatives?

Thank you
Steve

Borla will sell gaskets, I believe.