speedhut gauges installed and too dark to see at night..?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Guys,

Team jeff just installed my new SH gauge cluster. I'm having an issue with nighttime view. My oem gauges were fine, but the SH gauges are so dim I can't read them at all at night, even the tach which is directly in front of me. The dimmer switch is set to max, and does have an effect... the HVAC dials are maxxed out on brightness... but the dash gauges only brightly to the point where... well, where you can tell there IS a light... but it's as if it's at the lowest setting.

Yesterday it was fine, before i set my shift LED lights. Is it possible I changed a nightime lighting setting at the same time, or do I need something rechanged. Paying twice for labor on something that only worked for a day would be... irritating to say the least..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My Speedhuts had another dimmer knob that I mounted under the dash. If you have one you can change the backlighting independent of the dimmer on the car. It controls the dc/ac converter.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
actually, on checking them out again, i think the minor light i am seeing is really from the needle light.. not the back light. I don't think i have back light at all anymore.. it was fine for the first day..

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Any news?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Yes. Team Jeff found out the ac/dc inverter box they supply went bad. They are sending me another one. The support was fine, but Im' still out labor twice. On the plus side, i've verified my speedo works in excess of 200mph.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Team Jeff found out the ac/dc inverter box they supply went bad.

I am not a fan of the method that Speedhut is now advocating for the inverter to be tied in to the illumination circuit. Rather than use their supplied tap-in connectors, we've been using 3M butt connectors with adhesive-filled heatshrink for a near-perfect, durable connection.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
i don't think it's a connection issue. it's an electronic part issue

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I am not a fan of the method that Speedhut is now advocating for the inverter to be tied in to the illumination circuit. Rather than use their supplied tap-in connectors, we've been using 3M butt connectors with adhesive-filled heatshrink for a near-perfect, durable connection.

Thats how I set mine up also.
Good luck with the new inverter. Hope that solves it.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Yes. Team Jeff found out the ac/dc inverter box they supply went bad. They are sending me another one. The support was fine, but Im' still out labor twice. On the plus side, i've verified my speedo works in excess of 200mph.

Check your 200 mph thread where I posted about the inverter. Speedhut has acknowledged a problem with the inverter. I finally left all the blue tape on the dash and the gauge panel unscrewed so I could get at it to troubleshoot the problem.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26746-testing-my-speedhut-gauges

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
i don't think it's a connection issue. it's an electronic part issue

Bingo...I twice did the butted connectors with heat shrink etc. Still the inverters failed. I had a whole thread about the saga.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26333-Speedhut-help-please

Speedhut's supplier of inverters sent a defective product. Bad QC...they sent me a defective speedo and water temp gauge the first time in addition to the issues with the inverters.

At this point my attempts at working on this project are on hold anyway. I ended up trading my silver GT to Shelby for another toy. He put the OEM gauges back in the car and is sending me back my Speedhut stuff. When the assembly gets back I'm going to get on the Speedhut guys to send me a decent inverter. I may then try it in my 36k mile white GT that (knock on wood) has not had any gauge issues in 8 years of ownership. I like the shift light feature and the lighted needle.

stilllookin

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2007
Cornelius NC
I finally installed my new speed hut complete dash assembly. All went well but for a couple exceptions. Anyone have these issues and a solution? The small indicator on the bottom of the dimmer switch doesn't light up when the lights are on. The dimmer does not seem to work either? The new back light dimmer works. Also the high beam indicator does not come on.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I installed the Speedhut gauges a few years back. Maybe I can help.

Are you referring to the gauges themselves or the toggle switches?

The indicator light on each toggle switch is a function of the switch itself. I had some failures and had to replace the toggle switches. Here is the thread on that. Drat! I see my photoshop photos no longer work since it’s no longer a free site. I’ll try to post the pictures another way.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...light-Fog-Dimmer-Switches?p=448457#post448457

You say your dimmer does not work, but the back light dimmer works. Can you clarify? Does the dimmer switch increase/decrease the brightness of your gauges when lights are on? Mine works but is kind of slow and I need to hold it a few seconds for it to change brightness.

What’s the back light dimmer?

If your circular blue high beam indicator light does not work you may have pulled loose a wire while reinstalling the faceplate and gauges.

Last edited:

stilllookin

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2007
Cornelius NC
Thanks for the reply. I did get the gauge light issue resolved. The AC voltage should have been 120 to 150 volts with no gauges and 20 to 40 volts at all the gauge attachments. This is what I was referring to the backlights. The needle lighting was working. I had no voltage, I redid the ground and it works now.
I am thinking it must be the toggle light also. So you had to change out the entire switch, there is no small bulb in it? Any info you have would be nice. I will look at the thread on this.
Any idea where the high beam connector would be? The actual head lights work, just the blue indicator on the dash doesn't light up. There were only the two connections on the warning light display panel. I checked them both when i removed the instruments again.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I really like the SH gauges. No issues in what so ever in 4 years

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Glad to hear your gauges now light up!

Yes, unfortunately the entire toggle switch needs to be replaced, about $75 a pop. I ordered them through my local Ford dealer. I reinstalled the photos on that thread. They should be helpful if you have yet to see them.

Regarding the blue, circular high beam indicator I don’t remember what things looked like behind the new Speedhut faceplate. Do the Speedhut installation directions address it? I just don’t remember.

stilllookin

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2007
Cornelius NC
Thanks I will order one. The blue light is just a component of the idiot light cluster. There was an electrical connection at each end as I remember ? I will crawl back under and see if I can see anything loose or missing? I don't see a relay in the circuit that may provide the feedback.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
While you are at it you may want to order them all. Just a matter of time till they all fail. I replaced all mine as pre emptive as it is a lot of work to break everything down to get at them.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I'm a little disappointed with Speed Hut. One of my clients ordered a set for me to install in his car. When the set arrived, the face plate looked as if it had been packed in the Styrofoam while still wet. Hard as we tried it would not clean up. Client had me put it in anyway. Thought his detailer could clean it up. Ended up removing the paint while trying. He contacted Speed Hut, and they are sending a new face plate, but now he has to pay me to R&R the thing. Had the same problem on another face plate a while back, but that one did clean up. The gauges work great, but Speed Hut needs to work on their packaging and QC.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I was really excited about the SpeedHut option but sense I got them and used them.... meh, their stuff is ok but I don’t feel like it’s a on par with the car.

FYI: Their dimmer knob can be elminated and the stock switch made to work the background lighting.

stilllookin

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2007
Cornelius NC
I had the same issue with the styrofoam on the face plate. I used a wax and silicone remover and it did take it off. It did dull the surface a bit but it was up in the top corner near the water temp. It looks like the gauges were packed before the paint dried. A little improvement in the QC would help. I happy over all. At least the gauges work.