Ten Questions with: Scott Ahlman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Very nice piece .It was a pleasure to read!
One last question for Scott.
Are you a born again virgin?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Very much enjoyed reading that. Saved your website on my favorites Scott. Looking forward to seeing what you develope. LaDBK . . . everyone knows this but I thought I should just come out and say, you kick ass.

Vince H

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
GT production was stopped because it was only planned for 4500 units and they cannot produce the car as is under fmvss requirements that went into effect in September 2006.

There is no new ford supercar planned. Ford has not historically been in the supercar business and the people that can put them in it aren't so inclined at this time. Auto business is brutal and can change in an instant.

To expand on LaDave’s comments – the FMVSS requirement changes after GT production would basically force an all-new car again. There are so many fixed engineering and manufacturing costs (and growing - like the yaw control requirements) that even a low volume vehicle like the GT has a capital investment cost between 1/3 and ½ the cost of a fairly clean sheet F-series program. So it costs big, big money for only 1/100th the volume and way, way less than that on profit.

In addition, while Ford didn’t need a bailout, it did leverage itself pretty significantly prior and it is not out of the woods yet in a very tough market. So Ford would likely have to drop a current program to have the capital to do a GT like car again.

The Ford GT is a very rare machine in many ways and it may be a very long time before Ford considers another.

Scott

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
One last question for Scott.
Are you a born again virgin?

Ron, Don't make Angela kick yer ass!:lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
To expand on LaDave’s comments – the FMVSS requirement changes after GT production would basically force an all-new car again. There are so many fixed engineering and manufacturing costs (and growing - like the yaw control requirements) that even a low volume vehicle like the GT has a capital investment cost between 1/3 and ½ the cost of a fairly clean sheet F-series program. So it costs big, big money for only 1/100th the volume and way, way less than that on profit.

Scott

Thanks for that answer. I think some people thought I was making that up for fun. :lol

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Thanks for that answer. I think some people thought I was making that up for fun. :lol

All good. You have been correct regarding this topic. Just thought I would add a few details to further paint the picture of how rare the chance of another is at this point. Possible, but not probable.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
All good. You have been correct regarding this topic. Just thought I would add a few details to further paint the picture of how rare the chance of another is at this point. Possible, but not probable.

I very glad and proud to own one. My thanks to all those involved in designing and building such a great car! :thumbsup

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Scott and Dave, thank you for sharing yet another inside look into the Ford GT and alot of behind the scenes realities that most of us would never have known otherwise nor be able to learn anywhere else and serve to further enhance " the Ford GT experience".
Terry

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Thanks Dave for this forum and Scott for your candid answers. The Ford GT experience exceeds my expectations continually. This Q & A is another great example.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Scott's Dad came in to see me today, and we had a little chat. Thank you Scott for your contribution to the fabulous success of our cars, and to your Dad, who raised such a successful Son, and for restoring another great mid engined car, the FABULOUS Porsche 914!!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i have to admit i did not see this before (probably was posted during my short absence from the forum) but a great read indeed and really enjoyed hearing about the process and the emotions from inside the camp that was responsible for such a great car.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Fun reading again.

05/06 GT has stood the test of time.

Thee most Iconic automobile of all time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Scott was instructing me at Rally 12 Miller Motorsports. Intimidating having him in my car. He did not like the way my Penske coilovers were setup. Ohlins would not have hep me drive better :). He is a great guy!