Brake pad learning experience

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I don' t know what made me think that mass market brake pads would be OK on the track, but a couple of us inadvertently fell prey to this at NOLA. There was a post a while back about the low dust appeal of the Autozone Duralast Gold CMax brake pads. The OEM pads are terrific but are a bit dusty, so I tried the Duralast and liked them. Good braking and little dust. So that was that. Come NOLA Rally that's what I'm running without further thought. Guess I figured, the GT was made for the track, these pads were made for the GT, ergo the pads must be ok. Well assumptions and science often part ways, as they did here.

Here are the pads, brand new, after one track day and what they do to your rotors. They are one step away from disintegrating. The other participant that ran them was braking a bit harder than I was and ran them to the metal in one day, lost brakes and missed turn 1 (fortunately it was 1 and he had a good overrun. He recently replaced his rotors.

These may be ok for around town and some basic canyon driving, but tracking is a different world when it comes to brake pads. It's obvious these pads were never intended for this kind of service. We're running OEM or Pagid from here on out. There are other great pads too. Just pick them carefully based on what your doing. And check them frequently (aka, pull them and look at them). This isn't news for the track veterans, just one beginner's observation.

IMG_4382.jpgIMG_4375.jpgIMG_4373.jpg

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
You are right, they are not track pads nor intended for it. They do work very well for street use. Just like tires, there are better ones for each and none that are best at all uses.

You can however get free replacements for the fried ones.....
The rotors don't look that warn, just heated which would have happend with any pad with the same level of braking. Its the rotor's job to disapate the heat, not the pad. There are better than stock rotors for track use as well.

Good lesson for all to know. Thanks for posting.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
:facepalm:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You know, Wally at www.fordgtparts.com sells titanium backing plates for the brake pads to help dissipate the heat from the pads.

http://www.fordgtparts.com/servlet/the-32/GT-specific-Titanium-Shim/Detail

I have 62,200+ miles on my GT, but had these backing plates installed. I have run hard on the all the Rally tracks, except NOLA (couldn't make it due to weather).

I had planned to go to Willow Springs in late October but the weather stopped me there too - however, when setting up to go there, I measured my pad thicknesses, and they were 0.210" (front) and 0.240" (rear) between the rotor side and the telltale warning tang,

on my original (OEM) pads (original on the car)

Remember, Brakes only slow you down!

You might want to check with Wally and get some backing plates!

:cheers

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The plates are to aid in keeping the brake fluid in the calipers cooler by slow the conduction of heat. They do nothing for pad life other than making them run a little hotter.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The plates are to aid in keeping the brake fluid in the calipers cooler by slow the conduction of heat. They do nothing for pad life other than making them run a little hotter.

I agree, Clinton - :agree:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Just like tires, there are better ones for each and none that are best at all uses.

That's a very good point actually. A fact easily overooked. Thanks.

You know, Wally at www.fordgtparts.com sells titanium backing plates for the brake pads to help dissipate the heat from the pads.

http://www.fordgtparts.com/servlet/the-32/GT-specific-Titanium-Shim/Detail

I have 62,200+ miles on my GT, I measured my pad thicknesses, and they were 0.210" (front) and 0.240" (rear) between the rotor side and the telltale warning tang,

on my original (OEM) pads (original on the car)

Remember, Brakes only slow you down!

You might want to check with Wally and get some backing plates!

:cheers

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that. At the Rally, Mark McGowan gave us a good dissertation on his experience with the OEM brakes - they never fad. I'm a re-convert. The rotors pictured above cleaned up ok, just the pads failed.

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
duplicate

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
I to was unhappy with the amount of dust the stock OEM brake pads deposited on the wheels. When I had my car in for some repair and upgrade work with the GT Guys last summer they recommended Stillen Mintex pads which I had them install. Dust problem solved! Since I don't race the car I have no idea how well they perform under that sort of useage but for normal street operation they seem fine.

RB

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
All brake pads come with built-in compromises.

Mfr's have to settle on pads that stop the car, very little squeal, lite disc wear, etc. And that really famous word "PRICE".

In my opinion brake dust is pretty low on the selection list.

Sometimes we can't have the best of both worlds.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
All brake pads come with built-in compromises.

Mfr's have to settle on pads that stop the car, very little squeal, lite disc wear, etc. And that really famous word "PRICE".

In my opinion brake dust is pretty low on the selection list.

Sometimes we can't have the best of both worlds.

I agree. Brake dust is a pain but the piece of mind of the proper pad is worth more.

Vince H.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I solved the brake dust problem differently than changing pads. I used Armoral's "Wheel Protectant". Not wheel cleaner, they are different. I hardly had any dust at all on my wheels after 2 days of track time at NOLA using stock OEM pads. The little dust that accumulated was removed with a garden hose spraying - no scrubbing. I could have just whipped them lightly with a rag to remove the little dust that accumulated since it doesn't stick to the wheel and just lightly rests on the wheel.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I solved the brake dust problem differently than changing pads. I used Armoral's "Wheel Protectant". Not wheel cleaner, they are different. I hardly had any dust at all on my wheels after 2 days of track time at NOLA using stock OEM pads. The little dust that accumulated was removed with a garden hose spraying - no scrubbing. I could have just whipped them lightly with a rag to remove the little dust that accumulated since it doesn't stick to the wheel and just lightly rests on the wheel.

Thanks for this. I'll pick some up and give it a go.

Vince H

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I to was unhappy with the amount of dust the stock OEM brake pads deposited on the wheels. When I had my car in for some repair and upgrade work with the GT Guys last summer they recommended Stillen Mintex pads which I had them install. Dust problem solved! Since I don't race the car I have no idea how well they perform under that sort of useage but for normal street operation they seem fine.

RB

Kyle Millen recommended the Mintex pads to me soon after I bought the GT in May 2006. They are designed to be a hybrid street/track pad. They have served me extremely well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Kyle Millen recommended the Mintex pads to me soon after I bought the GT in May 2006. They are designed to be a hybrid street/track pad. They have served me extremely well.

Has anyone run these pads on the track or during a mile event?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Listen
The prefered pads for me are Carbotech xp20's for the front and Carbotech xp16's for the rear .This is an awesome pad set up for the track.I also use them on the street.Ask anyone who went for a ride with me at the rally how well my brakes worked.Plus because the ya re a carbon pad ,very little brake dust! I also swear by the Armoral wheel protectant!
The phone number is 877-899-5024 ask for Mike jr

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Clinton
I have about 15 track days using these Mintex pads.
How we each use brakes on the track will vary. I dare say Ron will be the toughest on brakes as he drives at a level above us all. So he swears by Carbotech. The Mintex pads may not suit his driving needs. I just know they suit mine.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Clinton
I have about 15 track days using these Mintex pads.
How we each use brakes on the track will vary. I dare say Ron will be the toughest on brakes as he drives at a level above us all. So he swears by Carbotech. The Mintex pads may not suit his driving needs. I just know they suit mine.

Thanks, I am relutant to use pads on a mile run unless they have been tried before with good results. Pads ok for street driving may fade under more servere braking.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Any squeaks with these pads during street use?

Listen
The prefered pads for me are Carbotech xp20's for the front and Carbotech xp16's for the rear .This is an awesome pad set up for the track.I also use them on the street.Ask anyone who went for a ride with me at the rally how well my brakes worked.Plus because the ya re a carbon pad ,very little brake dust! I also swear by the Armoral wheel protectant!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Listen

Thank you.