GT Wipers with better visibility and looks

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Since the Exoticare CF wipers project never came to market, I decided to see what I could do for better visability wiper arms/blades etc. Have tinkered more than a bit and tried lots of different combos and fabrications. I think I am close to something that is reasonable as a retrofit for these cars. I am not doing carbon fiber. Working with OEM suppliers Trico, Michelin and TRW plus a bit of fab work. I'll post some pics in a few days when my last few parts are in and a complete install can be shown. But I am pretty pleased with the results so far, just some pieces and parts to make it complete.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Anxious to see your results!

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Don't use stock lincoln whipers :)

Lord has it really been 7 years since the first rally? Its a funny story how the wipers came to be with the little air handlers on them. Seems they were originally using wipers from a lincoln, also the abs module but thats another story with lots of skid marks, and found out they are only good at about 160 ~ish or 180 ~ish..can't remember. Anyway once they hit their speed mark the wipers went to pointing straight up at the stars...I just have this picture of Mark driving along with the wipers pointing straight up and I can hear he saying something like..hey we need new wipers followed by lets see at what speed they let go :)

Anyway...lots of testing...lots of failures to figure stuff out. Ever wonder why the clamshell has 2 hooks on it??? Ask someone about the wind tunnel testing...hehehe WOO TIME FOR ANOTHER RALLY!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
OK, no stock Lincoln wipers.

Just picked up the last couple parts to finish the project and took some quick pics. Much improved visability. I have front fenders that I have never seen from the driver seat! Heck, I can see the gas cap and the center of the hood. From my driving position, the wipers are now almost completely below line of sight to edge of hood and fenders, IE no longer blocking view at all. They are also a much cleaner look with the hybrid Michelin support assemblies and new reshaped Trico arms. Even the spray nozzles are out of sight. See what you think:

IMAG0351.jpgIMAG0344.jpgIMAG0345.jpgIMAG0348.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Awesome JC!

I know you have a full plate, are you thinking you will make a few for others? If so, I am in.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have no intention of becoming an aftermarket parts supply vendor, but would not mind making up a few sets for other members on the forum. PM me and I'll fill you in on the details. They are not very expensive in the GT scheme of things.

I do need to get Xcentric's coil covers done this weekend since the weather will be nice :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
P/M sent requesting place in line.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
+1, I'm short. the wipers are a real pain. you might hate us now, but another PM on the way. I'll take parts list, instructions or anything you don't mind doing. (Have you run these at any speed yet?) thanks.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have not been past 160 with them. No tendency to lift or flutter up to that point. Someone else will have to do the real high speed testing or just remove the wipers for standing mile day.

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I am interested also, looks great

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I'll do some high speed testing. :)

pm sent

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
PM sent. Thanks

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Sounds like the best approach might be to create a parts list and assembly instructions, as there seems to be quite a number of owners who would find these useful. For me, I'm tall enough that the OEM units do not interfere with my vision....

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Sounds like the best approach might be to create a parts list and assembly instructions, as there seems to be quite a number of owners who would find these useful.
+1

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
There is metal forming and refinish work involved, its not just a list of parts. I am building a few sets so far. PM me if you want them. I was afraid the numbers would get out of hand but that has not turned out to be the case. I'll get started building the few sets that are requested by this weekend and let the recipients chime in when they receive them. If more are requested past that, we will see where this goes. I can handle a few at a time.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please don't let any engineers get involved.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
:lol

Funds sent.

Thank you James

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston

No wipers for you.....:)

Yesterday I could not spell enganar

now I r one

Its all good.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
John ,
Sign me up! I know the kind of work you do.
Ron

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I will try a set
R u coming to the rally?

Thanks
Kurt