Looking at buying an F-450. Any views on the truck would be much appreciated!

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I’m looking at buying an F-450 to pull a six horse trailer. My two daughters do the Hunter/Jumper thing and we travel, from our barn in the Boston area, to shows as near as an hour away and as far as Florida and Kentucky. We’re currently shipping commercially but I’m thinking of taking the plunge and buying a truck and trailer. Five warm bloods equals about 9,000 lbs of horse flesh and the goose neck trailer I’m considering is about 8,400 lbs. That’s about 17,400 lbs to pull. Any views on the F-450, with its 6.7 l turbo diesel and six speed tranny, for this type of work would be much appreciated. Would an F-350, with the same engine/tranny, be enough for my needs?

Thank you for any insights!

Rob

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I had an F350 a few years back, liked the truck but if you havent been in one empty be warned that they are not a smooth riding truck. In my mind they are meant exactly for what you will be using it - heavy loads. I switched to a GMC diesel based on the fact the ride was so much better.

However when I tow my RV which loaded is probably about 11,000 lbs the Ford towed it along much better than the GM does.

Have you considered dual wheels for the truck? May be an option with that much weight. Just my 2 cents.
Steve

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
I have and use an F-450 dually, crew cab, 4x4 to haul my 2 nieces dressage horse's. We have a 3 horse with tack room Featherlite gooseneck and a 4 horse with living quarters Exiss gooseneck that we pull. The nice thing about the 450 is the suspension doesn't mind the weight. The ride is good with the trailer, very firm without. As far as the motor and trans they work well towing and I have no complaints. The nice thing with the dually is you get less sway when the horse's move. I also use AirSafe hitches on both trailers that work well. As far a tag trailers the 450 shines their too. I have a 24' Featherlite stacker and a 35' Fountain that my old F-350 (non dually) needed airbag's to keep from sagging hard on the overloads which the 450 handles with ease. The dually 450 is not a truck you would want as a dd unless you live in a rural area, just too long and wide but as a haul/tow vehicle it works well.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I had an F350 a few years back, liked the truck but if you havent been in one empty be warned that they are not a smooth riding truck. In my mind they are meant exactly for what you will be using it - heavy loads. I switched to a GMC diesel based on the fact the ride was so much better.

However when I tow my RV which loaded is probably about 11,000 lbs the Ford towed it along much better than the GM does.

Have you considered dual wheels for the truck? May be an option with that much weight. Just my 2 cents.
Steve
Thanks for the feedback. I was definitely looking at a dually and should have put that in my description. I could be wrong but I believe for 2012 the F-450 only comes in a dually.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I also use AirSafe hitches on both trailers that work well.
Great information. Would you recommend getting one of these AirSafe hitches?

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Great information. Would you recommend getting one of these AirSafe hitches?

Yes I would, I really like the hitch we have them on both horse trailers.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Your on the right track for sure. My sister is a registered Hungarian breader and her husband is one of the Very few outfitters still allowed to pack into Yellowstone and the beartooth. We haul from Nebraska frequently and over the years have used several differant types of trucks. The Ford F450 is the one to have. If im not mistaken i think Tim Cantwell is useing one to haul his cars around with.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thats a lot of highway driving .Pay the transport and fly down!

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I bought a new 2011 F-450 last year to haul my car trailer. I don't have any problem with the ride and I put air springs in the rear so I can just push a button and go from 10 to 105 lbs to tailor the ride. Love the new 6.7 turbo. I hauled from Buffalo to Utah for the rally and never had to even come close to using max power.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
You could easily go with an F350 to pull that load - but you NEED to go dually 100%. I pulled a 21k lb 34' boat all summer last year with my 2500 HD Duramax...with no pulling issue...but it isn't a dually, so sway was an issue. A 1-ton will easily do the job...and the 6.7 produces 800 LB FT of TQ, more than enough to pull that load. Fuel efficient they are not, but they'll pull a house!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
FBA, you gotta put that boat on a diet. :biggrin

Mine is 36' and is 8000lbs wet. If more fun this way;

may281-1.jpg

Z3.jpg

SCAN0299 (2).jpg

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I love yours...looks insane and fast! Mine's a SunSeeker SuperHawk 34, but isn't built for speed...more for partying. She only does around 60-65...and she's a big heavy pig. LOL

SA1.jpg

SA.jpg

sa3.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
LOL, Yeah, There isn't even enough room to really move around. Engines, fuel, sit down and ride.

Are you close to the St. Lawrence waterway? I always wanted to do the 1000 Island run. I have seen pictures and it looks gorgeous.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I pulled the trigger on an F-450 six weeks ago and love the truck. I've put about 5.5K miles on it and I really like it. It'll pull anything and the ride and the cabin is very comfortable with plenty of room. I'm a big fan of this truck.
F-450_GT in driveway I - 2012-08-31.jpg

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Very nice rig.. I have the same GT and a 08 F350 SRW setup.. wish I had the 6.7L... probably put a Banks setup on 6.4L.. Still , it pulls a 11k RV trailer very nice

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
LOL, Yeah, There isn't even enough room to really move around. Engines, fuel, sit down and ride.

Are you close to the St. Lawrence waterway? I always wanted to do the 1000 Island run. I have seen pictures and it looks gorgeous.
I'm minutes from the St-Lawrence waterways, in Quebec. My Sunseeker hit rock in July (historically low waters) and she's been sitting it out since then...2 props, 1 Bravo drive and 2 feet. I've been busy with the home move and renovations, so no time to look after the Sunseeker...

I'm gonna sell her as is and get something more like a 510 Twin BRP 23'...better suited for the waters around here and she'll do a good 80 MPH, unchipped...and run all day for a few hundred bucks instead of a few thousand in the Sunseeker. :) I hate pissing money away to fuel a 34' pig...what a waste and she can't do more than 60 anyway. At least if it'd do 90-100, I'd consider keeping her.