Gauge layout, what do you think?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Here are some photos of what I can see from my driving position and a new gauge layout. The tops of the 1st and 3rd gauge are cutoff and the 4th is almost completely obscured, so I am thinking of moving some of the gauges around. In the new layout I can see the warning lights for the fuel and a/f ratio, can't see the boost, but can see the coolant and oil gauges clearly, or maybe I should switch the AF with the coolant, since they both have idiot lights.

I choose the blue background with red lighted pointer. This combo is clearer to see than the unlit OEM white pointers on white background.

For the missing voltmeter I am planning to add a tri-color LED to the panel with another tri-color LED for water/meth injection status.

Attachments

• P1010561.jpg
    P1010561.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 482
  • P1010571.jpg
    P1010571.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 489

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The layout looks great but isn't it really a matter of personal preference in combination with having an even partially-unobstructed view of the most critical gauges. Have you addressed the gauge illumination issues. I understand that the factory illumination toggle won't work with the speedhut gauges and certain electronic components need to be added for the needles to illuminate. True?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I understand that the factory illumination toggle won't work with the speedhut gauges and certain electronic components need to be added for the needles to illuminate. True?

:confused

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The layout looks great but isn't it really a matter of personal preference in combination with having an even partially-unobstructed view of the most critical gauges. Have you addressed the gauge illumination issues. I understand that the factory illumination toggle won't work with the speedhut gauges and certain electronic components need to be added for the needles to illuminate. True?

I bench tested the lighting features and there aren't any issues at all. Speedhut has it is pretty well thought out! :thumbsup

You do have to wire up an included dc to ac converter. The input to the converter is one of the illumination wires going to any gauge (this is DC of a varying duty cycle according to the service manual, I didn't hook up a scope to verify), the output is AC voltage that drives back lighting of all of the gauges. Amazing that this voltage varies from about 60 to almost 100 volts! OEM dimmer switch is used to change the DC duty cycle for illumination and thus the AC voltage output varies as well. The lit dial pointers are controlled by the directly from the dimmer switch. So as the dimmer switch is changed both the dials and pointers change brightness.

To get both the pointer and the back lighting to levels you like, there is an addition potentiometer to mount somewhere that controls the difference in brightness between the dials and pointers. You can set and forget this pot in most cases, but if you want to many any changes to the ration lighting ratios you should mount it somewhere under the dash where you can reach it.

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I need a 9000 rpm tack and 40lb boost gauge and I would be in! Oh yea like a 260 speedo lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I need a 9000 rpm tack and 40lb boost gauge and I would be in! Oh yea like a 260 speedo lol

I think Speedhut can make those for you!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I will call them! Looks good too:)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Did the stock Speedhut gauge pigtails allow you to re-arrange to your liking or did you need to make a special request for extra length?

I have been holding out for the larger diameter Speedo, anyone have word on progress on that?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Did the stock Speedhut gauge pigtails allow you to re-arrange to your liking or did you need to make a special request for extra length?

I have been holding out for the larger diameter Speedo, anyone have word on progress on that?

I didn't ask for different length pigtails, so my guess is when I get around to installing it I may have to lengthen some of the wires on the guages. NBD on a non-OEM part.

A for the larger speedo, IMO probably isn't going to happen. Just change the whole set out so that all the gauges match. The only owners that would care are those with the nice CF gauge panel, too small of a market for a special size.

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Nicely done. I like the color choice as well. I've planned a complete redo on my next gauge failure - I'm almost wishing it on me..

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Killer :thumbsup

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Nicely done. I like the color choice as well. I've planned a complete redo on my next gauge failure - I'm almost wishing it on me..
Why wait, if the next gauge is the Tach., that's the cost of the complete Speed Hut set. Make the switch now and save the rest of your gauges until a fix is found.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Why wait, if the next gauge is the Tach., that's the cost of the complete Speed Hut set. Make the switch now and save the rest of your gauges until a fix is found.

Dude, this was your 666th quote.... now you've done it! I'm doomed. :face palm

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
...see, I can't even get the emoticon right now :face palm:

but you're right.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
My final layout

This is the layout I finally decided on. The new photos show the 2 added LEDs and the custom 6.8K redline tach.

Attachments

• P1010578.jpg
    P1010578.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010577.jpg
    P1010577.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 161

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Very nice job Clinton.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Love it.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Keep the photos coming of the customized gauge sets. Many of us are one gauge failure away from a purchase.

Howard