California GT Smog Story

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, I received the California DVM notice my 06 GT required smog certification this month. Fine, my neighbor had the Ford GT Guys out at his home for 2-3 days, 2 blocks away a few weeks ago. He call a couple of tiems to see if I needed any service. Told him no, just had it 6 months ago, yeah right! I had mine serviced 6 months ago and had not driven it since then. Have 5600 miles on it. Had the battery trickler from Ford attached to the lighter socket. Thought all was well. I could just go out and fire it right up, take it down to the SMOG certification station 2 blocks from my FORD dealer and it would be no problem. So Wednesday, I went out to start it, dead! Even with the charger connected, it was DEAD! Tried several 120 outlet battery chargers and crank units. Nothing. Finally moved a few cars around, got my GT500 angled into the garage, jumper cables and it fired up. Got it down to the dealer. Fuel gauge was also dead. Dealer said may be a while for the gauge, battery soon. Checked in the afternoon, car was ready, gauge was working new battery.

IMG_3598.jpg

Took it over to the SMOG center 2 blocks from dealership, FGT onboard computer had not reset. Test guys told me to go drive it on the freeway for 30 miles. This is 4 PM Wednesday, West LA. No freeway can one go anything faster than street driving at this time in West LA. Put 30 miles on it up to Mallibu. Could not take it back to Smog Center until today. Work yesterday and also work today, but has some time. Again, Smog check had on board computer not fully reset. Drove it another 20 miles and came back. Still the same problem. Went to Ford Dealership, they said, do cold and hot starts, drive it 150-300 miles, "It should reset"? So, I guess I am up for a run to the Desert!

So the reason I have low mileage is getting the GT on the street from my driveway. Have to use 2 trailed ramps, 63" apart with 2x4s front and back so the car won't scape. Have to park a Yukon directly across the street to prevent anyone from parking there. Need 90 degree angle to get car back up trailer ramps. I have put up and taken down these trailer ramps 6 times now, still have on board computer malfunction. :thumbsdow:bs:facepalm:

IMG_3596.jpg

FOENZOsmog.jpg

I am so glad our state leads the natoin in clean air quality regulations!

No idea what else to get the computer to reset after battery exchange.

Anyone with suggestions on solution to reset computer to pass smog test would be grateful.

Are there easy access battery terminals that one can attach a Battery Tender Jr. to to maintain a full charge?

Last edited:

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Same boat over here......my registration expired in November. Still showing that my EVAP code isn’t ready. Must have put 200 miles on her in an effort to get the ready code. Still no dice.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Doc, drive it to my house in Idaho. You will get the proper reset miles, you can watch me register my GT for $52.00 this year (including personalized plates) watch me insure the car with State Farm (replacement) for $780.00 per year and then we can go blast around the miles and miles of smooth country back roads burning up countless gallons of very low taxed gas. Then with the time and money we saved with not going to an Idaho smog check station (we don't do that up here) we can get some dollar lap dances from some of Idahos' finest toothless dancing girls.

Chris, your invited as well!

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Doc, drive it to my house in Idaho. You will get the proper reset miles, you can watch me register my GT for $52.00 this year (including personalized plates) watch me insure the car with State Farm (replacement) for $780.00 per year and then we can go blast around the miles and miles of smooth country back roads burning up countless gallons of very low taxed gas. Then with the time and money we saved with not going to an Idaho smog check station (we don't do that up here) we can get some dollar lap dances from some of Idahos' finest toothless dancing girls.

Ah living in the Boondocks has its good points!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Remember the pain CARB is causing you.

http://killcarb.org/

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Doc, sorry to hear of your trials.
Sounds like it's time to move. There are some great houses for sale in my neighborhood. :cool

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Same boat over here......my registration expired in November. Still showing that my EVAP code isn’t ready. Must have put 200 miles on her in an effort to get the ready code. Still no dice.

the evap code may also correlate to a bad filler nozzle. might want to stick a finger in there, make sure the spring loaded door is still functional.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Will do peiserg......thanks

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I had the same problem with my car. Due to a series of circumstances Roketman had my car and offered to take it to get the annual certification not long after I replaced my dead battery. He encountered the same reset failure issue and then graciously offered to drive my car until it reset. He had some sort of instrument that was connected to the car's computer which told him when the reset happened. It does take a fair number of miles to get the car to reset so you'll have to drive it until this happens.
Good luck.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I used this tool it show status of all of the OBD monitors and P1000 code.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PYBZJO/ref=wms_ohs_product

Still a PITA to reset them all but with this tool you know which ones are still active.

Do a search for "ford obd II drive cycle" to find suggestions on how to clear the codes.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, building & using my "bridge"...I remember it well. What a PITB that was. In my case, a driveway regrade/repour and landscaping redo ended that nightmare for me. But, as I recall, you don't have a way to regrade your driveway due to the unique space/topography available. So, as I suggested sometime back, although moving is a real nightmare by itself, I too (like KJRGT) suggest moving may be in order - if only to lower your stress/frustration level!

(You must really, really like your house, Doc! :thumbsup :cheers)

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Here is a link that may help...
"http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html"

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles

How's October to March for driving season up there?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I had the same problem with my car. Due to a series of circumstances Roketman had my car and offered to take it to get the annual certification not long after I replaced my dead battery. He encountered the same reset failure issue and then graciously offered to drive my car until it reset. He had some sort of instrument that was connected to the car's computer which told him when the reset happened. It does take a fair number of miles to get the car to reset so you'll have to drive it until this happens.
Good luck.

Gierkink, sounds like torture, hee hee

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
How's October to March for driving season up there?

Great for snowmobiles! :lol

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Chris, your invited as well![/QUOTE

And if you make it as far as Tennessee, you can do it with no income tax... AND HWY 129, the Dragon, is just down the road. Of course, toothless and barefooted women do go hand
in hand here.

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
It's not just the mileage it's the drive cycle that requires stop and go and an average speed. Not a bad idea of Black Ice for the scan tool. I went to the smog referee on my Porsche telling him I didn't want to put 200 miles just for a reset. Typical bureaucratic response "it's the law".

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Service at Buerge Ford is awesome. They called me back to see what had happened. Offered to take the car and get it "fixed", but I am out of town next week and will ahve to do it the following week. May try to hook KJRGT and Woboose for a run to the Desert in a couple of weeks.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
It's not just the mileage it's the drive cycle that requires stop and go and an average speed. Not a bad idea of Black Ice for the scan tool. I went to the smog referee on my Porsche telling him I didn't want to put 200 miles just for a reset. Typical bureaucratic response "it's the law".

If we can swap governors and legislatures, California would be a great place to be!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
OK, --- can somebody tell me why the factory trickle charger failed to work? Is it unreliable?