California GT Smog Story

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You guys who have been to Flo's, Ralphie, SteveA, Jeff, et. al, remember the bisquits and gravey? Monster Meal.

I won't put to print what the biscuits and gravy look like..............:facepalm:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
They look like biscuits and gravy. That is what they look like.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
They look like great biscuits and gravy to me - wish I could have been at Flo's....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I won't put to print what the biscuits and gravy look like..............:facepalm:

I know what you mean I raised two kids. :lol

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Good times Doc, something I definitely miss. Drive it to C&C this Sat. and I'll buy you another order!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Great news Doc.....you tripled your annual mileage in One Day!

And you got passed the Calif. Smog too.

Doing 60 on the 60 in day time traffic must have gotten you about a half a million:thumbsup.

And of course a great meal at Flo's.

All around Great Day!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
SteveA. In So Cal eh

That's an hour to get ith on the street. Maybe the viper instead

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have a quick question. Does anyone know why the learned parameters are stored in volatile memory?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I have a quick question. Does anyone know why the learned parameters are stored in volatile memory?

33, are you talking about Ralphie??? He is okay. Gets a little flakey working in the Mammoth Mtn "Hilton" every day, once the snow melts, he returns to normal, like tomorrow!

That is a good question, I am sure there is some circuit routing that made placement of the codes in the place they are kept. It isn't a problem if you know what to do to reset the codes, the car needs to be driving for 30-60 minutes at 60 MPH with petrol level between 1/4 - 3/4s full. The technical reason is beyond me.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Because the car is female.

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The technical reason is beyond me.

I rest my case!

Chip

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I use either a Diehard float charger or a Schumacker float charger that I purchased at K-Mart for $29. Still using the original Dec 2005 OEM battery. These battery maintainers have the sulfer detector circuit that will recondition the battery when required. Much cheaper than the CTEC $80 battery maintainers.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
AWSUM

Do you connect directly to the battery terminals, remove the battery cover and disconnect when driving or have you modified the terminals ala Kendall to have some easy access terminals so opening up the hood each time is not necessary?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Almost every aftermarket Charger comes with a cord (or has one available optionally) that will allow you to secure it to the bolt of the positive terminal clamp and the bolt at the chassis ground or if too far away, the negative terminal clamp of the battery.

I use this very smart charger; http://www.tecmate-int.com/accumatepro12v24v_detail_d.php

Here is the cord page; http://www.tecmate-int.com/741-am-om-accessories09-07.php

after securing the cord to the above described terminal connections, I route the cord under the tub insert and up to the backside grill of the radiators where I zip tie it down to keep it secure. It has a weather proof cap (model TM-71) and does not interfere with the Bonnet operation at all.

It is nearly invisible as well.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
My K-Mart Diehard maintainer came with 2 short adapter cables. One cable has 2 alligator clips and the other cable has 2-eyehole connectors. Both of these short adapter cables can be plugged into the main charger unit using the 2-prong plug.

I cut the 2-eyehole cable adapter in half, stripped the cut end back about an inch. Next I took about a 5 ft length of black lamp wire, slid 3 lengths of shrink tube over the wire, one for each wire, and then a larger one to go over both wires simultaneously. I then soldered the copper colored lamp wire to the red side of the adapter cable and the silver colored lamp wire to the black side of the of the eyehole cable-half and then heated the shrink tubing to seal/insulate the solder joints. Note: it's important to know which colored wire is attached to the red positive side and which is attached to the ground side so you can match it at the other end of the lamp wire. Place the eyehole connector next to the battery where you plan to attach it, but don't connect it yet. I then routed the 5 ft of lamp wire across the front of the GT under the tub (battery cover) to the driver's side of the car so it can't be seen with the tub installed and secured it at a few places. I found a small gap between the fender and radiator frame that comes out right behind the tow attachment fitting. I then cut off any excess lamp wire and/or adapter wire, put heat shrink on the other half of the 2-prong adapter cable, soldered it to the lamp wire (matching the positive/negative wires), and used a black cable clamp to attach the 2-prong plug to the support brace. I found a convenient screw at the very top of the black brace which is next to the tow attachment point. Now attach the eyeholes to the positive and negative cable bolts on your battery. Once installed, you can't see the 2-prong plug unless you get on your hands and knees. As soon as I park the GT in the garage, I reach under the front and plug the maintainer into the 2-prong plug. I then drape the car cover over the GT. Works like a champ and no one has ever noticed it or mentioned it to me at any car show.

Hope this helps,

Last edited: