New Viper Thoughts ..

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm a big fan of what they have done from the doors back. Can't wait to see one in person to get an overall feel towards the car.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Not Really apples to apples, normally aspirated vs forced induction.. lot's to talk about on the Viper forum..

:skep :tap: 'Zackly where did I suggest/imply the V-10 had to remain N/A? :tongue

(Edit: ...or that it had to remain a two-valve/push rod engine for that matter...or that couldn't become a DOHC 4-valve...or...? 'Wove U!:lol)

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Here is something Autoblog wrote, so sounds like it will be on the lighter side to have that power to weight ratio:

"In fact, the 2013 SRT Viper's 4.9 pounds per horsepower puts it just behind the Bugatti Veyron and Ferrari F12 and ahead of such performance stalwarts as the Lamborghini Aventador and Chevrolet Corvette ZR1. What's more, this engine has no turbocharger or supercharger, and those 600 lb-ft make this V10 the most torque-rich naturally aspirated production engine in the world."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2013-srt-viper-bites-back-with-640-hp-returns-to-racing-w-vide/

The reveal this moring gave the figure of 5.15.. still great a number,,

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
:skep :tap: 'Zackly where did I suggest/imply the V-10 had to remain N/A? :tongue

(Edit: ...or that it had to remain a two-valve/push rod engine for that matter...or that couldn't become a DOHC 4-valve...or...? 'Wove U!:lol)

Remember the HP boundaries SRT has ,,They want to be above GM and Ford but Below Ferrari,, I think the GT 500's 650 HP caught them off guard like it did everyone else

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Didn't Mr. G. mention someting like 4.9 for the lighter, 'enthusiasts'' version of the Viper, Brian?

Nuts. I wish I'd recorded the darn thing now...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Remember the HP boundaries SRT has ,,They want to be above GM and Ford but Below Ferrari,, I think the GT 500's 650 HP caught them off guard like it did everyone else

Yep. I agree. But, my point's still the same regarding the h.p. the V-10 could produce! :thumbsup

Regardless of what the factory wants, you can bet there will be "tuner kits" that'll exceed it!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Didn't Mr. G. mention someting like 4.9 for the lighter, 'enthusiasts'' version of the Viper, Brian?

Nuts. I wish I'd recorded the darn thing now...

You can watch the Video again on the SRT site.. The car with the track pack. curb weight pwr to weight is 5.15. He said if we do what the Europeans do use the dry weight then it drops to 4.91.. for the track pack car.
The curb weight / wet weight pwr to weight ratio of the non - track pack car the GTS would be 5.24 .. if you are going to run the car you need to look at the wet weights,, that's how they go down the road .. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You can watch the Video again on the SRT site.. The car with the track pack. curb weight pwr to weight is 5.15. He said if we do what the Europeans do use the dry weight then it drops to 4.91.. for the track pack car.

'Nice to know I wasn't delusional! I knew I heard that figure mentioned somewhere in there in some context!

The curb weight / wet weight pwr to weight ratio of the non - track pack car the GTS would be 5.24 .. if you are going to run the car you need to look at the wet weights,, that's how they go down the road .. :biggrin

No argument there. One ought to include his own lard behind the wheel when doing the figgerin', too, don'tcha think?! :lol

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I didn't care for the look of the previous Vipers but I really really like this one - awesome! I'm glad Dodge decide to keep this car in the game!

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Is that an Alfa Romeo badge in the center of the grill....or just a place holder for the Euro deliveries?

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if they underrated the engine so that they won't get the shock Chevy did at the LA auto show. I loved the 97 GTS look, and it seems that they tried to update that look. Just not sure about that hood scoop. Just doesn't seem to look right.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
What does Torrie the Master Viper Tuner have to say??? I would be very interested in his future plans for these.

TORRIE?

Larry

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What does Torrie the Master Viper Tuner have to say??? I would be very interested in his future plans for these.

TORRIE?

Larry

Depends on the demand for companies like SCT to make the hardware and software available to us.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Hate to say it, but...gulp...choke...wheeze...I r-e-a-l-l-y like the crimson red on the unvail car!!! :eek :willy:willy:willy

(no stripes...no nuth'n...!)

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
SRTViper1.jpg

I like it with the color matched grill.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Depends on the demand for companies like SCT to make the hardware and software available to us.

I don't think anyone has cracked the last version of the Viper.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Which goes directly back to my statement.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Just not sure about that hood scoop. Just doesn't seem to look right.

I detect some Ferrari F50 in those hood vents.

I am not a fan of the front end, but do like the look of the rest of it.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I think it is awesome, my least favorite is the resemblance to the 2001 GTS. I had a race yellow/black striped GTS, it was a great car, was a little to hot after a long drive. Sold it to a Swiss Viper Club President. Have an 08 Snake Skin Green SRT10 coupe. I think the new one is awesome, but like Stormcat, under imppressed with the shape. Looks like a retro GTS. I will probably get one though! Not a lot of gauges on the dash?