Headlight Tech

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Has anyone had a headlight apart, Have got a bare light, but with internal glass, no electrics, any info would help , pics would be a lifesaver.FGT headlight 001.JPGFGT headlight 002.JPG

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Someone might offer more info, but they are glued, and a one time use, and intended to be non servicable (outside of the turn signal lamp). Couple years ago, heard about a kit being developed to be able to service them?? But dont think it ever happened??

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They are a sealed unit as explained. The only thing you can change is the turn signal bulb and adjustment up and down (not right-left).

H

HHGT

I know many of the tuner guys use heat guns to break the seals and then re-seal them. With an abundant use of plastics for the this unit you'll need to be careful with too much heat concentrated at one spot for too long. If you need to separate the glass units, you can bake them in regular home-based ovens and there is quite a bit of youtube videos on that. Good Luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIiglkq7HA

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The only thing you can change is the turn signal bulb and adjustment up and down (not right-left).
But not the headlamp bulb? If true, that would seem preposterous!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can't change the headlight bulb. All one piece. And the fender liners , etc. have to come out to get at any of it.

H

HHGT

If anyone has a bad unit they want to sell, please PM me.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Anyone have a smashed or damaged unit to sell PM me.. Cheers REX

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
other than fogging when driven in humid or damp weather, mine appear and operate perfectly. They need their own little A/C ducts. :bored

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Can't change the headlight bulb. All one piece. And the fender liners , etc. have to come out to get at any of it.
I was wrong, it's not preposterous it's flat out ridiculous! Change a $1500 - $2000 headlamp unit because of a burned out bulb! Outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
But not the headlamp bulb? If true, that would seem preposterous!

So's taking off the front fenders to change the windshield, but... :frown

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I'm just weary from having just experienced my 3rd gauge failure and not completely thrilled with any of the known fixes. So one more possible excessively costly electrical/electronic failure puts me in an unthinkable mood.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was wrong, it's not preposterous it's flat out ridiculous! Change a $1500 - $2000 headlamp unit because of a burned out bulb! Outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!

Fender liner not the fender. You might be able to change the bulb with a lot of hard work, but it isn't the factory procedure. Have to bake you lights in you kitchen oven.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The headlight bulb can be replaced.
Anyway, I have a pair of front headlights also. They are like new, no damage. Will sell them for $100 UNDER dealer cost

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Couldn't it be a lot worse guys? We could have F-cars. :bored

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
The headlights retail for $3000 and $3800 each.. Will be a good bussiness fixing them.. I got a good repolished left side unit for $550 complete..

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
3 Gees for a light bulb, I'll be driving only during the daytime :lol :lol :lol

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Guys, the original Lights used to cost alot...they were on back order for ever.....they are now remanufactured.......IN JAPAN..............the new ones do not build up as much fog in them as I have seen......there is no way to tell the difference, I thought they were under $1,400 a side.....gtjoey1314
Yes , just the inner fenders to remove the entire unit.....the fender stays on........good luck.....

H

HHGT

Plan B.............................

I will be securing 2 flashlights to the GT if I ever drive it at night to preserve my expensive headlight. I will also make sure the flashlights are not made in China to make sure I don't offend brand loyalty.

Attachments

• Flash_Mount.jpg
    Flash_Mount.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 512

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Plan B.............................

I will be securing 2 flashlights to the GT if I ever drive it at night to preserve my expensive headlight. I will also make sure the flashlights are not made in China to make sure I don't offend brand loyalty.

Group Purchase!?