SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks, I give it a try.

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
I went in to a local Ford dealer a couple of weeks ago to get a part for my truck. The girl at the pay counter knew my wife and also knew I had a FGT. She mentioned to me that she was one of the 4 people that helped to make the GT headlight assembly at the local GM/Delphi headlight assembly plant. I never knew the FGT headlight assembly was made around here and especially at a GM plant. She said because it was such a low volume part that their union got the job and only 4 people worked on the line.

She also mentioned to me that she knew a couple of people that worked on the line that had "taken" a few of the headlight assemblies home, for whatever reason. I don't know how many she was referring to.

Interesting............

Dolph

Tomcat

GT Owner
I "popped" one of mine off to clean it, it was room temp. Be easy, poly is brittle and these things are ~$3K now (I think). Each.

I know I am reviving an old thread but I have (ever so slight) "residue" on the inside of my headlights and I'd like to try to clean them. Are there details about "popping" the front/clear glass off for cleaning? How does it reseal?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ I have "stuff" on the inside too. And some disintegrating top coat. BTW, new headlamp assemblies are now about $1,300.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That seems down considerably? no?

new headlamp assemblies are now about $1,300.

Tomcat

GT Owner
^^^ I have "stuff" on the inside too. And some disintegrating top coat. BTW, new headlamp assemblies are now about $1,300.

Where are they $1,300...I thought they had gone higher.
Ps-I know its not too close to you southern Florida guys BUT I am spending more time in Pensacola now.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
They were higher and now they are lower. Maybe they got a Chinese supplier. $1,300 +/- everywhere. Here for example.

So you've made it as far as Lower Alabama!

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
They were higher and now they are lower. Maybe they got a Chinese supplier. $1,300 +/- everywhere. Here for example.

Yes, I am in LA...Perdido Key (I was a Navy flight instructor for one tour).
GREAT FIND on those lights!!!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Odd that they have 4 part #'s do '05's have different assemblies?

Edit; They also don't specify port & starboard so better get both.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Read the fine print. Old and new part numbers and they do specify driver and passenger. Click the links they provide.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is no practical repair to the headlight assemblies. The residue is water vapor and will not go away. To replace headlight you will have to pull the inner fender liner. This is a PIA and should be done by someone with experience or you risk bending the fender. Best to do in a warm climate.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Read the fine print. Old and new part numbers and they do specify driver and passenger. Click the links they provide.

Let me rephrase; "I see '05 had a different part # and that there is now a part # that works for both years, did the '05 originally have a different assembly?"

Second, I still don't see the L/R designation. Yes, I opened the highlighted description tab. But it doesn't matter, I see 2 different parts, I plan to get both.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Last edited:

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Great info guys.....

I am looking for clear headlight lens covers only for a display of a front end clip (man Cave) art... they can be foggy or scratched.... If anyone has any please PM me...

Thank you

Doug

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ford keeps them when they are replaced.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ford keeps them when they are replaced.

Under warranty, right? Can't imagine them keeping anything now.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, if you go to the dealer and have them replaced, they will keep them. Gauges as well.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If it ain't under warranty, demand they give the parts back to you. Some states legally require that.