Battery died, but then charged...now dash gauges don't work..hmm

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Was told by the shop that did repairs on the GT after it was rear ended 3.5 months ago that the battery had just died on them a day before, and that some of the gauges weren't working.
They ordered a new battery and it was to come in shortly
Thought that was strange that the dash was having issues.
Decided I'd take the car back (missed it)
On my drive back home basically nothing was working on the dash.
Can someone explain if this was due to the dead battery cocking things up? or something else that's playing up, and what would be the possible fix.
Not a good feeling seeing nothing active on the dash.

Cheers Stuart

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Maybe they jump started the car with a boost box or another car? :thumbsdow BAAAAAADDDDD thing to do. The electronics, and particularly the gauges are super sensitive to voltage spikes. A new battery MAY solve the problem. Just be sure that the battery ground cable, where it contacts the frame is super clean, and making good contact. I always clean the connection, then install a serrated lock washer between the cable and frame. As for the OEM gel cell battery, I HATE them. At Wixom, we averaged 1-2 dead batteries a day. :willy These were NEW, straight from Optima. Get the best Die Hard there is and forget about it. (there is other posts on the forum that address this, including part #s) There is a special charger for gel cells. They condition the battery as well as charge it. Because this charger is VERY expensive, most people don't have one, and just use a wet cell charger. While a regular charger will charge the battery, it could shorten the life of it. Just be sure to disconnect the battery from the car before charging it. Hope this helps. :thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Anytime I have had the ENTIRE dash / gauges not working on any car, once the battery was replace with a fresh one, they all came back. Replace the battery immediately. The times that I have actually had bad gauges, it was select gauges not working...., not all of them at one time

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Anytime I have had the ENTIRE dash / gauges not working on any car, once the battery was replace with a fresh one, they all came back. Replace the battery immediately. The times that I have actually had bad gauges, it was select gauges not working...., not all of them at one time

Same thing with me. I lost charge on one of my GT's and the dash went completely dead. After I charged it it came back fully.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I got the battery back charged on the Battery Tender that I use on the car when ever I leave it for a few weeks or more.
The charge got it back to the early 12's but if the battery is good it should be very high 12's to 13 volt range.

I think they used a jump pack to start it initially, I know they did that at the time I left the shop.

I've not checked the dash yet after my charge, so I'll find out when I get back on the 3rd.

The temp gauge was working at the time I drove home, but was reading very cool and that was on a 80deg day in Orlando.

Lets hope the new battery gets things up and running again.

Stuart

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I was told my battery was dead by a shop who then replaced it. Shortly thereafter my gauges started to act up and the battery dies again. Turned out it was not the battery all along but the chassis ground right up front next to the battery. Once I cleaned the threads and reassembled all my battery and gauge problems were solved.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Some good info/links here.
I've sent someone around to see if the gauges fire up with a turn of the key.
Had the car on charge for more then enough time to see if it's getting enough oomph to fire them up.

Have a good NYE, keep the cars in the garage tonight.

Stuart

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Serrated lock washer under the battery-to-frame ground is always a good idea. I replace the OE battery with a Sears Diehard unit (see previously listed links) before any low battery indications. There just seemed to be a linkage between gauge problems and low or failing batteries owners were experiencing. Luckily I have not had any gauge problems and am happy with the DieHard replacement.