Door panels Popping off

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Since new, my 2005 inner door panel rings keep popping off. Somewhat embarrassing when showing the car, opening or closing the
doors they come flying off. There actually was a recall or bulletin on the early cars but the new tape doesn't hold. Any suggestions on alternative measures? Possibly silicone or other.

H

HHGT

I think 3M Double stick tape was fix and not the crap found in auto parts stores.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
The GT Guys have a fix but I'm not sure what they do to solve the problem. Maybe Rich will provide some insight?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Silicon bead

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The GT guys will tell you to use silicone as Frank mentioned. A thin bead of clear will do the trick.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Since new, my 2005 inner door panel rings keep popping off. Somewhat embarrassing when showing the car, opening or closing the
doors they come flying off. There actually was a recall or bulletin on the early cars but the new tape doesn't hold. Any suggestions on alternative measures? Possibly silicone or other.
Gene, very late 05 and all 06 had the upgraded door trim with clips installed on the surround from the factory.....Your car like all the earlier cars had 3m tape. The gtguys made a smootze and feathered it behind the whole trim, on 360.. a couple of weeks ago...Ours fell off during the run to detroit.....The tape is a waste as when the temps change the glue comes undone.....
There are no supply of the later surround with the clips as on the 06.....silicone/smootze, just cleanALL THE OLD TAPE OFF......let the stuff set up and away you go.....good luck...gtjoey1314

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
smootze?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

It's an 'Italian' thing! :lol

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
It's an 'Italian' thing! :lol
Thought that was a Pennsylvania Dutch thing - haven't heard that term since I left Pennsylvania in '72.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I used the two sided tape years ago and it has held up fine. Just make sure you use the 3M adhesion promoter on BOTH pieces prior to putting on the tape. IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

John

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I like the silicone idea (or smootze). The problem way up here are the extreme temperatures and changes in humidity (despite heated garage and
dehumidifier). thanks

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
They are all held on with double sided tape Joey. No difference on late 05 and 06 cars. The tape was too thin. If you upgrade to the 3M black double sided tape, you will have no further problems.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Shelby, you forgot to sign 360, are you going to Amelia Island in march?
The tape shrinks in the cold to hot, In my experience, it stinks.......
But all kidding aside, the gtguys made up an epoxy , dont know what they use but once it cured the trim rings were on for life........
Maybe rich can post his secret formula.....
enjoy gtjoey1314

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Shelby, is it the black foam double sided tape?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
If you NEVER want them to come off 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Someone put some on a vw beetle crankcase. Next rebuild it had to be scrapped, couldn't get the case to split.

Available at all parts stores.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
It's not really a foam. The foam is the white tape. The Black tape is more like a rubber strip double sided tape

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The permanent fix being referenced here and attributed to others - is the brain child of Kip Ewing. In fact, what Kip told me a few years ago when he gave us the tip is that this is what Ford would have used had they been aware of this specific formula.

As Shelby has said, I think the 3M industrial double sided tape is a good and long-lasting fix but if you're interested to fix this forever, here's the product you will need. (Note: It is available in 8.5 oz tubes for traditional caulking guns.)

Evercoat 100885 Maxim Plastic Repair System Medium Urethane Adhesive
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=179

We've used it on several GT's and it is pretty amazing stuff. Many other uses too as it is essentially a 2-part liquid plastic that bonds and hardens to the components it is in contact with.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I believe the street term for that stuff is "Gorilla Snot"...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you NEVER want them to come off 3M super weatherstrip adhesive. Someone put some on a vw beetle crankcase. Next rebuild it had to be scrapped, couldn't get the case to split.

Available at all parts stores.

If one fixes it so the panel is not removable, how does one replace the switches and other door parts without destroying the door?

Last edited:

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I assume this is it, I cant find any other black 3m double sided that isnt listed as "foam".

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...1x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM5112271001

The only other kind I could find is this, but I assume the first one is correct as it says automotive. Let me know if I am wrong. Thanks.

http://www.findtape.com/product531/3M-Scotch-5952-VHB-Heavy-Duty-Mounting-Tape.aspx?bc=F

Last edited: