Door panels Popping off

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
If one fixes it so the panel is not removable, how does one replace the switches and other door parts without destroying the door?
Ralphie, first off your Gt on the track has the most wonderful sound ever out of a Ford Gt......
To keep it simple , we are all talking about the trim ring adhering to the CLIP ON PANEL INSERT...Another words,tape, glue, gorilla snot , smootz is bonding the trim to another black plastic piece behind the trim, it then CLIPS into the main door panel, Yes if you use a shoe horn tool or brake spool tool, and push behind the trip piece you can pop the 2 pieces off as one......
Or wait till spring at the barn, eat tons of food and have the gtguys do it in about 4 minutes their time.....
GTJOEY1314

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ralphie, first off your Gt on the track has the most wonderful sound ever out of a Ford Gt......

Thanks, Joey

To keep it simple , we are all talking about the trim ring adhering to the CLIP ON PANEL INSERT...Another words,tape, glue, gorilla snot , smootz is bonding the trim to another black plastic piece behind the trim, it then CLIPS into the main door panel, Yes if you use a shoe horn tool or brake spool tool, and push behind the trip piece you can pop the 2 pieces off as one......
Or wait till spring at the barn, eat tons of food and have the gtguys do it in about 4 minutes their time.....
GTJOEY1314

Guess I misunderstood - Sorry...

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
I assume this is it, I cant find any other black 3m double sided that isn't listed as "foam".

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...1x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM5112271001

That's it. Listed as 3M acrylic Plus PT 1500 on 3M's web site. My aluminum door trim fell off last week and I found out 3M makes about 20 double sided tape applications.
The factory used a clear which is the equivalent to the 3M 4010 which is not for automotive application and metal to soft material adhesion.

Jimmy

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Smootze

Shelby, you forgot to sign 360, are you going to Amelia Island in march?
The tape shrinks in the cold to hot, In my experience, it stinks.......
But all kidding aside, the gtguys made up an epoxy , dont know what they use but once it cured the trim rings were on for life........
Maybe rich can post his secret formula.....
enjoy gtjoey1314

Here is the "smootze" we use. We actually used a version of this two part epoxy when we built the prototype GT's. The second pic shows how we drills holes in the plastic part of the tim panel so the "smootze" can go through and trap the ahesive on the plastic piece. The problem with this whole design is that no form of 2 sided tape will stick to the plastic as it seems too "oily". We did used to use silicone like Stormcat said but we changed to this about 2 years ago.

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Revisit - DONT USE DOUBLE SIDED TAPE ......

This is an old thread but a common problem that I think is worth revisiting and is a DIY.

The aluminum rings have been loose but not noticeable to the general public but it was bothering me.

I first would like to thank Eric Barnes for spending time with me on the phone explaining to me how to get the ring assembly off the door and everyone else on this old thread.

First, the tools you will need...hook tool, heat gun, plastic pry tool, acetone(other solvent), rags, clamps, 2 x epoxy(JBW palstic bonder), patience

Pop off the door ring by inserting the hook took below the window up/down control(notice felt strip) and slowly pop off THE PLASTIC BACKING along with the superficial aluminum piece. Then using your hands to work your way around the ring pop it off.

Use the heat gun and plastic pry tool to very slowly separate the aluminum ring from the plastic backing. Mine had the OEM tape clear and the black double sided aftermarket tape, presumptively. Both the tapes failed as Rich mentions in the prior post.

Clean the plastic base and aluminum ring well. I drilled the holes as Rich recommended and applied the JB Weld Plastic Bonder from your local auto-parts store. This product dries black, is thick, does not run like other epoxy products, and specifically designed for this type of application.

I used clamps to make sure I had a good bond.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks for the pictures and tips!

:cheers

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
while all this 2 sided tape and 2 part epoxy are good, they are almost too good. while you don't want the ring to fall off, you still want to be able to take it off should you want to get inside the door by removing the door panels.
what's always worked good for me is good old yellow elephant snot glue. I open up all the clips a little bit to put more tension on them and then apply some yellow snot (3m yellow weather stripping glue) to each clip. snap back in and done and yet still pliable enough to remove down the road. jmho

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
This repair is to reattach the aluminum accent trim to the black plastic backing that snaps into the door. The assembly is still removable.......

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
This repair is to reattach the aluminum accent trim to the black plastic backing that snaps into the door. The assembly is still removable.......
zactly but I thought you meant the aluminum ring and it's plastic backer. 2 sided tape on just the ring.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
zactly but I thought you meant the aluminum ring and it's plastic backer. 2 sided tape on just the ring.

The tape failed twice.......

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
while all this 2 sided tape and 2 part epoxy are good, they are almost too good. while you don't want the ring to fall off, you still want to be able to take it off should you want to get inside the door by removing the door panels.
what's always worked good for me is good old yellow elephant snot glue. I open up all the clips a little bit to put more tension on them and then apply some yellow snot (3m yellow weather stripping glue) to each clip. snap back in and done and yet still pliable enough to remove down the road. jmho

Just a tip if you choose elephant snot. After applying to each piece as Scott said, let each side cure to a definite tacky state. It adheres better and runs less this way. I believe it is made just for this application but I have used it to attach valve cover gaskets on the underside of SCJ boat valve covers (215-260 degree oil temps) for many years now. It does hold well.