Dash leather separation...

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
It seems the 105* weather has taken a toll on my dash. I keep it in the garage, but its still 95-100 and humid in there. I noticed this morning my dash had some separation between the leather and the dash base. I did some research and some people recommend a syringe with glue, and then hair drying to shrink the leather back down. This seems a little sketchy to me, but other than taking off the whole dash and redoing I dont see another option.

Any one else had this problem, and remedied it? Thanks for the help, as always.

Cavan

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Photos?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Time to locate a good automotive interior shop. This probably isn't a problem exclusive to GTs

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

+1

Subscribe

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Try to get a breeze in your garage by leaving a door slightly open in order to let the hot air out. If its 95-97 outside its a lot hotter in your garage than 95-97. Living in texas all my life I haven't seen it this hot. Thats one reason I have a separate building for my cars with air conditioning as I leave it set at 80 degrees and just pay the bill!. Love my MAN CAVE. A good trim shop should be able to help you.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Can't help with ideas on the repair, but I run a de-humidifier in that room of the garage all summer to keep the humidity down.
It can get pretty high here in Kansas.

Jeff

Aug 25, 2006
I have seen many a dash lift around the defrost vents and early on this was a warranty item.

Today a new OEM dash assembly is plus $30K so the idea of coming up with a viable fix is necessary. I have chatted with Kip about it and the material that separates under the leather does not bond well with most adhesives so some testing IMO needs too be done in advance so that a dash is not destroyed.

Certainly the dash can be recovered however the act of R&R is extreme and takes plus 30 hours.

In the meantime I have discussed with Andrew the idea of creating a very nice custom dash pad to help with this issue.

Takes care

Shadowman

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Give it a few days. Hear on corvettes this happens on a-pillars, then goes back to normal

GAHH in california are experts, maybe a call to them for advice

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Shadow, you are right. It is mostly around the defrost vents on the passenger side. It also is on the transition from the gauge cluster to the flat top by the passenger.

Kayvan, you are also partially right. I noticed when I parked it in the sun today, it seems to have shrank down a bit. It still is not connected to the dash, but you cant really notice it until you touch it. I'm hoping it stays like that, but if it goes back to the bubbles I had this morning, I will be looking for a fix.

Shadow, let me know if yall come up with something.

Cavan

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Get a Solenus dehumidifier from NewEgg; its like $155 shipped, with hose that drains and fits under garage door lip

I have it running for 12mos

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896808033

mine has hose & puddle running 24/7

ps, their are 3 K/Cavans on this forum...we have to limit that to like 5.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
You need to call Steve Hemstock at Knights Automotive .When it comes to interiors he is the man! 715-702-2727
He did all the GTX1interiors and does lots of custom work for the big 3 .A real craftsman.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
You need to call Steve Hemstock at Knights Automotive .When it comes to interiors he is the man! 715-702-2727
He did all the GTX1interiors and does lots of custom work for the big 3 .A real craftsman.

I can attest to that also............if your at the Rally, please find me and look at my seats.......excellent work....and so fair with pricing.........Ty Ron for that recommendation.....:thumbsup

Gino

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I have seen many a dash lift around the defrost vents and early on this was a warranty item.

Today a new OEM dash assembly is plus $30K so the idea of coming up with a viable fix is necessary. I have chatted with Kip about it and the material that separates under the leather does not bond well with most adhesives so some testing IMO needs too be done in advance so that a dash is not destroyed.

Certainly the dash can be recovered however the act of R&R is extreme and takes plus 30 hours.

In the meantime I have discussed with Andrew the idea of creating a very nice custom dash pad to help with this issue.

Takes care

Shadowman

Bill -

Back in '07, on my way back from having my "Gurney Bubble" installed, I stopped at "DashTopper" in Phoenix, my favorite dash top manufacturer, and they used my car for the prototype cover, as they had not had a GT previously. Eric (AtmonicGT) has used them. They can be found at the following link - and can have special monogramming done if desired. I recommend the suede, as it has the least reflection of the dash in the windshield. Of course, it won't help in a "hot" garage, but at places such as Miller Motorsports Park, it is definitely a good investment.

http://www.dashtopper.com/shop.net/Top_DashProductInfo.aspx

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I too have the dash topper.A very good peice.It protects the dash from sun and ultra violet rays .But the real benefit is It eliminates the glare from that big dash!
Steve Hemstock did my seats sewn in hot buttons and the nice stitching .Check em out at the rally.

Attachments

• gt seat.jpg
    gt seat.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 242

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Takes care

Shadowman

I met with the company who made the substrate panels. If some of you recall I obtained many of the raw interior panels. The material they developed is a very interesting combination of Fiberglass and polypropylene.

The plastic material is infused with the fiberglass matt type material. They can put a raw sheet of this material in a compression die / mold and when they heat it the plastic melts and fuses with the fiberglass matt and it retains the shape of the mold. The material is very light and porous so it is actually a great surface to bond to. I would use a med to thick viscosity epoxy. a low viscosity adhesive will just soak into the matt surface,

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I thought you used kitty kitter.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I thought you used kitty kitter.

only as a filler for large gaps... :bored

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Heres the best pic I could get, its pretty hard cause inside the car you cant get the right angle, and outside the car the windshield reflects too much. But you can see 3 large ripples on the dash, they all push down about a 1/4 inch. Like I mentioned earlier, they seem to shrink in the sunlight, but the hot and humid garage causes them to swell a bit. Kayvan, I may throw a dehumidifier in there, thanks for the reco.

P.S. Ignore the bird terd, lol. Just proves I drive it a lot.

dash.jpg

Klatrenta

Dec 7, 2018
Indianapolis

Takes care

Shadowman

Gentlemen,

I have 2006 vin 1548 and have a pretty bad ripple on dash as well as pulling on all defroster vents. Anyone have a link or instructions to remove that top dash panel? Does the windshield have to come out?
Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
KL

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Cavan. Like you I’m from Texas and here on the coast. Heres two items i recommend from experience that could be helpful

Like Tomy I built a man cave for my cars and included the following

Lowe’s has these. Works great. You can run small tube out door for water extraction set it and forget it!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-70-Pint-2-Speed-Dehumidifier-with-Built-in-Pump/1000195215

Adding a mini split ac to your garage would be huge. These are so efficient and very inexpensive. You don’t need to buy brand name like Mitsubishi. I chose this brand. It is so quiet and works great. Size to your sq foot. Easy to install.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewc...mih7cl56_g3wivep7jbx2zcwuseaayasaaegjw0pd_bwe

You can also buy a kit to insulate your garage door at Lowe’s.

The humidity even with all this rain we’ve had here this year in my place is at about 40%. I keep set temp at 76-77 degrees

Good luck with the dash. I hope to meet you soon.

Doug