Correct Engine Temperature

sethgt

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2010
What is the correct (normal) engine temperature for a completely stock 2005 Ford GT, when driving locally in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear in high eighties to low ninty degree outside temperature with the A/C on? My temp gauge goes to 220. Is that normal, or do I have a cooling problem? Fans come on at 220 with and without the A/C on.

Thanks,
Seth

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
What is the correct (normal) engine temperature for a completely stock 2005 Ford GT, when driving locally in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear in high eighties to low ninty degree outside temperature with the A/C on? My temp gauge goes to 220. Is that normal, or do I have a cooling problem? Fans come on at 220 with and without the A/C on.

Thanks,
Seth
My experience is that when the temp is that hot, or I see the gauge showing near 200, I turn on the AC and the temp immediately drops down. I think that I have to have my car programmed to turn the fans on at 200, with or without the AC being on.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Completely normal. Many of us have gone into the computer and turned the fans on at around 185 degrees and this does seem to make the car run cooler, mine never gets much over 200 now.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Stock low speed fan on setting is 210 and hi speed is 228. Thru custom tuning we can set those temperatures to whatever you like. If your interested PM me I can help out with that.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
100 degree ambient temp and I can run at 180 all day long. Don't think it ever got anywhere near 200. Custom tune and FRPP rear exit headers though!

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
If locally u mean side streets....it will get up to 220 fast

In fall u can tool around locally under 200

In summer Hop on the highway...and it will drop to 180 fast

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Seth,
The first thing you should do is to replace the OEM exhaust with either the Accufab Xpipe (which I have and LOVE) or the Heffner Hpipe as either take up much less room than the OEM hunk of metal and allows the hot engine air to flow out of the back of the car much easier, another popular mod is put spacers behind the license plate frame. Do a search and there are plenty of discussion on these two topics. Once you get the the fan to come on sooner (preferably with a tune at the same time), you will not have any heat issues for any kind of street driving, and most amateur level track outings.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
WaterWetter helps as well.