The Story Behind the Rear Tail Lights on the GT40

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
This must be the truth as it came from Road & Track magazine August 2011.

Ed

Attachments

• GT lights.jpg
    GT lights.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 5,322

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Post of the day.

Gentlemen,

After 6 years of posts about the Ford GT, a lot of stuff gets repeated. But members still manage to come up with interesting info that I had never heard before. Cool story, bravo Ed, great post.

Chip

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Gentlemen,

After 6 years of posts about the Ford GT, a lot of stuff gets repeated. But members still manage to come up with interesting info that I had never heard before. Cool story, bravo Ed, great post.

Chip

That never happens. I was thinking about starting a thread about what color of GT is fastest!

Aug 25, 2006
Very cool trivia

All the best

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would bet then vintage Corvair taillights cost less than OEM FGT ones too.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Vintage Corvair tail lights cost less than vintage GT40 tail lights. Our GT tail lights cost more than both combined!

Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

A set of lights (front & rear) for our GTs cost more than a lot of good used cars!! :eek :willy

Chip

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
How much are we talking here? Is this one of the more expensive parts? I thought the seats were the priciest?

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Sorry, I don't buy it. If you look at http://www.racingicons.com/gt, you'll see numerous restored GT40s. Both late MkIs and all MKIIs had the quad light set up, long before the '67 MkIV. Our GTs are based on the wide body MkIs that featured the single and larger pod lamp/side, but I suspect as the originals were primarily race cars, whatever got slapped on them was what was laying around at the time. I imagine Ronnie Spain could enlighted us with the real answer.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sorry, I don't buy it. If you look at http://www.racingicons.com/gt, you'll see numerous restored GT40s.

Holy Mackerel that is some fantastic restoration work!

I have been around a lot of Windsor heads and have never seen the raised combustion chamber version they showed there. Wow.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
From the GT40s website:
Rick Muck- Mark IV

Mark IV
Time Machines Motorsports

GT40: P2270,2271

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I call "Foul-Urban Legend" on the story. I do NOT know how the Corvair tail lamps ended up on te MK II and then the MK IV BUT I seriously doubt the "down to the parts store with a scale" story.

The "J" car used a 1965 Thunderbird tail lamp assembly (without the turn signal sequncer system the T-Bird used) The plus side: Distinctive and and a Ford parts bin item (lens P/N C5SZ-13450-A). The down side: The tail light bucket weighs around 4 plus pounds of die cast zinc and used three 1157 bulbs. Now on the "J" car they might have moulded the bucket into the rear clip. Having never seen "J" tail in person, I can't comment. However, the T-Bird tail lamp would not work on the MK IV as there was not sufficent horizontal space for the lens which is around 15" horizontal width.

So we need some smaller, round light units....if indeed they sent someone to the parts store they would NOT have been able to find these. To wit:

1.) The lenses would only be sold at a GM dealer as an original "Guide" brand item. A generic parts store WOULD likely have the aftermarket lens as the "Glo-Brite" brand. Most volume tail light lenses were offered by Glo-Brite via independant parts stores (NAPA, etc.) In fact the Superformance GT40 MK II uses the Glo-Brites as the "Guide" reproductions are multiple times more expensive. Note to SPF owners, you need not source a replacement lens from South Africa....)

2.) A generic parts store would not have had the bucket/reflector/socket/wire assembly as they were not serviced aftermarket then. Only a GM dealer would/could have had these in 1965/66/67. Today they are available as reproduction for Corvair restoration (is that an oxymoron?) but would not have been found on the shelf at Autozone/O'Reilly/NAPA/Kragen/Bubba's House 'O Parts in those days.

Someone could tell them over at the Ford GT forum where Jalopnik picked up this story....and that is just what it is, a story. As Mulder said, the truth is out there, that story just isn't it. Perhaps this another Murdoch plot!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Makes a nice yarn - but like most yarns, the original facts don't seem to add up....