Race Deck vs. Whom

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Other than Race Deck, what other floor tiles have people been using. Which is the most robust and cost effective.

Thank you,

- doc

No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Race Deck owner is also a GT owner. When you call in your order, tell them you're a member of this forum and get a discount. Previous thread about this.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Race Deck is the best...

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
It was never confirmed, but I had been told that Race Deck made the flooring that Costco sells.

- doc

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I had carpeting in my garage and ripped it out. I looked into racedeck as an option but I decided to go with porcelain tile (the strongest and impermeable). I put it down myself (winter project in our long cold dark winters) and used epoxy grout (indestructible) It is gorgeous!!! No regrets and though more expensive aren"t we and our cars worth it!! Check out photos in my gallery!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gene, what happens if you drop something heavy on tile (ratchet, wrench), doesn't it crack or break?

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
garage floors

eshrink said:
Other than Race Deck, what other floor tiles have people been using. Which is the most robust and cost effective.

Thank you,

- doc

No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Check out using stamped concrete as a flooring material. It provides any type of design you may desire and is competitively priced with the Race Decks etc. It cleans up well and,IMHO, provides a unique appearance.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
We used ceramic tile in the gym. It has held up well and should work in the garage. Stamped concrete is used around the pool, and I have heard, but never seen it used in a garage. In many ways, the concept is more appealing than a modular floor. Never considered it. Thank you.

- doc

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Silicone grout?

Gene Cassone said:
I had carpeting in my garage and ripped it out. I looked into racedeck as an option but I decided to go with porcelain tile (the strongest and impermeable). I put it down myself (winter project in our long cold dark winters) and used epoxy grout (indestructible) It is gorgeous!!! No regrets and though more expensive aren"t we and our cars worth it!! Check out photos in my gallery!
Gene,

Did you evey consider silicone grout? It allows for a slight bit of movement within the floor. My garage floor have that grey epoxy coating, however it looks like heel and have a big crack down the center :frown I have used epoxy grout in my bathrooms. Just curious if you or anyone else has used tried the silicone grout?

Thanks, Jay

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Premier Garage

At Arizona GT Tech Day our host had a spectacular garage floor installed by Premier Garage, www.premiergarage.com , with wall mounted cabnets and workbench. It's not paint or tile, it's 4 colors in speckels and tough as nails. I had them do my garage last week and it's beautiful. You can't do it yourself but for those of us who wouldn't do it ourselves anyway, that's OK. I have a big 4+ car garage with an attached workshop and the floor cost for both was about $5000 plus the cabinet's I had them install. I love the result. :thumbsup

Chip

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
The tile I used is porcellain. This means the color is all the way through the tile not just a coating. it is more durable than ceramic and rated a a load rating of 5 which is the most durable. Id it chips (which it should not) the color is all the way through so you will not notice small chips. I placed it over cement using a mortar that contains latex which allows some movement. The garage is heated and I run a dehumidifier during the summer (these are a must irregardless of the floor especially since I have some old alfas and ferraris that do not tolerate moisture changes well). The problem with silicine gouts is that they will discolor with time and they absorb stains and mold. The expoxy grout is instructable and I have not had and problems with cracking (after one year) and it is recommended for outside applications. The expoxy however is much more expensive than regular sand grout. The expoxy coatings are just that a coating and the cement especially if new will have settling cracks which will show through. If pouring a new floor better to wait a year for settling before appling tile (especially if not heated)

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
My garage floor is B-A-D

Gene Cassone said:
The tile I used is porcellain. This means the color is all the way through the tile not just a coating. it is more durable than ceramic and rated a a load rating of 5 which is the most durable. Id it chips (which it should not) the color is all the way through so you will not notice small chips. I placed it over cement using a mortar that contains latex which allows some movement. The garage is heated and I run a dehumidifier during the summer (these are a must irregardless of the floor especially since I have some old alfas and ferraris that do not tolerate moisture changes well). The problem with silicine gouts is that they will discolor with time and they absorb stains and mold. The expoxy grout is instructable and I have not had and problems with cracking (after one year) and it is recommended for outside applications. The expoxy however is much more expensive than regular sand grout. The expoxy coatings are just that a coating and the cement especially if new will have settling cracks which will show through. If pouring a new floor better to wait a year for settling before appling tile (especially if not heated)
Gene,

Thanks for the info. I was always told that silicone is tough against mold, mildew, UV and most chemicals. I really need the entire garage floor removed and repoured (properly, not by some cheap homebuilder), however that is too big of a project. I will have to give this project some more thought. Thanks, Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Looks good!

ChipBeck said:
At Arizona GT Tech Day our host had a spectacular garage floor installed by Premier Garage, www.premiergarage.com , with wall mounted cabnets and workbench. It's not paint or tile, it's 4 colors in speckels and tough as nails. I had them do my garage last week and it's beautiful. You can't do it yourself but for those of us who wouldn't do it ourselves anyway, that's OK. I have a big 4+ car garage with an attached workshop and the floor cost for both was about $5000 plus the cabinet's I had them install. I love the result. :thumbsup

Chip
Chip,

Yes, this looks good. I may visit their showroom soon.

Thanks, Jay

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I had Premier do two garages over the last 5 years. The oldest still looks great. I strongly recommend them.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I had Premier do two garages over the last 5 years. The oldest still looks great. I strongly recommend them.

Any further update on how the Premier garages have held up? Since you and Chip both did them about 10 or 12 years ago, I'd love some updated feedback. I'd like do the Premierone if they do it back east, but I'm also considering the Race Deck tiles.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I just called on an epoxy floor in Las Vegas. Was told it was about 1,800 for a three car garage. However, I was also told it would only last 8-10 years.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
The premier franchisee called tonight. Apparently, NY pricing is about $6/foot or about 2x what you were quoted in Vegas...

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
I have Swisstrack flooring which is very similar to race deck. Because my SUV shares the garages with my other cars, I chose to go with a flooring that lets the dirt from the SUV drop through the floor over the winter months. In the spring I unsnap sections of the floor and clean out underneath. Works great for me.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I laid down Race Deck many years ago and it still looks new. Easy to install and clean. If you tell Race Deck that you are a Ford GT owner, I think they still offer a discount.

Attachments

• Racedeck A.JPG
    Racedeck A.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Racedeck B.JPG
    Racedeck B.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Racedeck C.JPG
    Racedeck C.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 105

xrayman396

GT Owner