CA resident purchasing Gun Ammo in AZ

H

HHGT

I stocked up on 45, 357 & 38 ammo while in Lake Havasu this past week - the new law in CA limiting the amount you can buy will go into effect soon. I asked if I could by any firearms while I was there, and the owner said legally no but their is a loop-hole which would involve me getting a picture ID from a check cashing facility. Interesting!!! Can someone from AZ shed some light on this?

Also, I saw a couple of guys walking around with guns in holsters and I was surprised. Then I was told the new law just went into effect... http://www.azcentral.com/news/elect...00416arizona-concealed-weapons-bill16-ON.html

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...the owner said legally no but their is a loop-hole which would involve me getting a picture ID from a check cashing facility. Interesting!!! Can someone from AZ shed some light on this?

Sam, you don't really want to be a felon, do you?

BTW, AZ is the home of Dillon that makes the mini-gun as well as a 1050, 650 and 550. Buying a blue Dillon product and some components will give you a lifetime supply of ammo. With the new laws in CA, I predict ammo prices to go up and availability down. Many CA retailers will just drop the products because of the trouble and low margins.

Sam, you should get some .223 .308 and 12g loads too. All of your stuff is just good for the close and friendly encounters. In a meltdown you may have to hunt for you food and a rifle will come in handy.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Sam, you don't really want to be a felon, do you?

BTW, AZ is the home of Dillon that makes the mini-gun as well as a 1050, 650 and 550. Buying a blue Dillon product and some components will give you a lifetime supply of ammo. With the new laws in CA, I predict ammo prices to go up and availability down. Many CA retailers will just drop the products because of the trouble and low margins.

How would that make me a felon if I bought used hand guns? I'm new to all this armory stuff...

Will we be able to buy and have it shipped?

And on the topic of Ammo, is a Safe still the best bet to safekeep?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
How would that make me a felon if I bought used hand guns? I'm new to all this armory stuff...

Will we be able to buy and have it shipped?

And on the topic of Ammo, is a Safe still the best bet to safekeep?

All guns bought by residents of CA must be go through a CA FFL dealer for paperwork! All guns brought into the state of CA must be CA legal! Go to www.calguns.net. More junk than you want to know there.

Common safes only slows down the crooks about 30 minutes or less. Good ones that really slow them down weight in excess of 5000 lbs. For small items a good quality floor safe will be the best bang for the buck. Amateurs with a jackhammer would takes hours to get stuff out of a good floor safe mounted in 5000 PSI concrete. But a good locksmith could get in in less than 30 mins if once the safe was located.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I stocked up on 45, 357 & 38 ammo while in Lake Havasu this past week - the new law in CA limiting the amount you can buy will go into effect soon. I asked if I could by any firearms while I was there, and the owner said legally no but their is a loop-hole which would involve me getting a picture ID from a check cashing facility. Interesting!!! Can someone from AZ shed some light on this?

Also, I saw a couple of guys walking around with guns in holsters and I was surprised. Then I was told the new law just went into effect... http://www.azcentral.com/news/elect...00416arizona-concealed-weapons-bill16-ON.html

Even before this law you could walk around with a gun on your hip. The new law states that you can carry a "concealed" weapon without a cc permit legally.

The big question is can the snowbirds that live in az 3 or 4 months of the year get an az drivers license?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Also, I saw a couple of guys walking around with guns in holsters and I was surprised. Then I was told the new law just went into effect.

It has always been legal to carry an exposed firearm almost anywhere in AZ. Up until a few months you needed a CCW permit to carry concealed but now anybody can without a permit. I have worn an exposed Colt .45 Commander to work every day for over ten years. I wear it into my bank and into shops and restaurants. Nobody cares nor do I care when customers come into my store wearing a gun.

Chip

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Even before this law you could walk around with a gun on your hip. The new law states that you can carry a "concealed" weapon without a cc permit legally.

The big question is can the snowbirds that live in az 3 or 4 months of the year get an az drivers license?

Depending on the state any particular Snowbird lived in, he could have used his own CCW in Az. even B4 this new wrinkle.

My Wa. St. CCW is honored in Az.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Depending on the state any particular Snowbird lived in, he could have used his own CCW in Az. even B4 this new wrinkle.

My Wa. St. CCW is honored in Az.

CA doesn't honor any out of state CCW!

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
You can check "open carry" laws for most places at www.opencarry.org Contrary to popular propaganda its legal to open carry in most if not all states. it is also legal to buy firearms in another state .. its just illegal to ship them to another person. When you TRANSPORT them into California it becomes an issue. I believe there is a case where a collector is challenging the california law with the help of the NRA.

In some states if you have a CCW it is ILLEGAL to open carry (you lose your CCW). so be aware of this. BTW it is legal to carry a rifle in most states ... just the police can cite you for creating a public nuisance ... which is fairly easy to get kicked out of court. I once was stopped coming back from the range because a person called in with a complaint of a guy with an "Arsenal" in his trunk. Fortunately I knew the LEO and he was registered for the MP5 course I was giving. Or likely I would have been drawn on .. due to this concerned citizens brainwashed concern about "gun safety"

In short .. guns don't kill people. People kill people .. the gun is just a bystander. Therefore lets outlaw stupid people. we'd all be safer.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV

The ignorance here, (CA) is beyond compare! :ack

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

...and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

According to the 2nd Amend, all of us have the right to "carry" ANYWHERE in the U.S. - AND THAT INCLUDES YOU POOR SOULS IN CALIFOOLNIA. The 'Amend doesn't grant the right to keep & bear arms HERE - but not THERE...or that we can carry in THIS building but not THAT ONE...or state that we hafta get gov't's PERMISSION (CCW) to carry "open" OR "concealed"...or that we can only have "arms" IN OUR HOMES...nor what KIND, or number OF arms we may own/possess. It says we have the right to keep & bear arms PERIOD.

Don't get me started any more than I already have...

I'm shuttin' up now, BONY.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV

According to the 2nd Amend, all of us have the right to "carry" ANYWHERE in the U.S. - AND THAT INCLUDES YOU POOR SOULS IN CALIFOOLNIA. The 'Amend doesn't grant the right to keep & bear arms HERE - but not THERE...or that we can carry in THIS building but not THAT ONE...or state that we hafta get gov't's PERMISSION (CCW) to carry "open" OR "concealed"...or that we can only have "arms" IN OUR HOMES...nor what KIND, or number OF arms we may own/possess. It says we have the right to keep & bear arms PERIOD.

:cheers:cheers:cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

When did the US Constitution every stop a lawmaker? There are many laws and government actions that contradict the US Constitution. Unfortunately it happens all of the time.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
So its legal to open carry in California as long as its not loaded. This makes a lot of sense...:bash:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
When did the US Constitution every stop a lawmaker? There are many laws and government actions that contradict the US Constitution. Unfortunately it happens all of the time.

I believe I stated, "don't get me started any more than I already have..."? :lol

I'm 'shuttin'...

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Arizona is a great state and one that has a governor with cahones!