Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: CA resident purchasing Gun Ammo in AZ

  1. #1
    HHGT
    Guest

    Default CA resident purchasing Gun Ammo in AZ

    I stocked up on 45, 357 & 38 ammo while in Lake Havasu this past week - the new law in CA limiting the amount you can buy will go into effect soon. I asked if I could by any firearms while I was there, and the owner said legally no but their is a loop-hole which would involve me getting a picture ID from a check cashing facility. Interesting!!! Can someone from AZ shed some light on this?

    Also, I saw a couple of guys walking around with guns in holsters and I was surprised. Then I was told the new law just went into effect... http://www.azcentral.com/news/electi...bill16-ON.html

  2. #2
    GT Owner BlackICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area in California
    Posts
    9,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HHGT View Post
    ...the owner said legally no but their is a loop-hole which would involve me getting a picture ID from a check cashing facility. Interesting!!! Can someone from AZ shed some light on this?
    Sam, you don't really want to be a felon, do you?

    BTW, AZ is the home of Dillon that makes the mini-gun as well as a 1050, 650 and 550. Buying a blue Dillon product and some components will give you a lifetime supply of ammo. With the new laws in CA, I predict ammo prices to go up and availability down. Many CA retailers will just drop the products because of the trouble and low margins.

    Sam, you should get some .223 .308 and 12g loads too. All of your stuff is just good for the close and friendly encounters. In a meltdown you may have to hunt for you food and a rifle will come in handy.
    Last edited by BlackICE; 08-11-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    BlackICE

  3. #3
    HHGT
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackICE View Post
    Sam, you don't really want to be a felon, do you?

    BTW, AZ is the home of Dillon that makes the mini-gun as well as a 1050, 650 and 550. Buying a blue Dillon product and some components will give you a lifetime supply of ammo. With the new laws in CA, I predict ammo prices to go up and availability down. Many CA retailers will just drop the products because of the trouble and low margins.
    How would that make me a felon if I bought used hand guns? I'm new to all this armory stuff...

    Will we be able to buy and have it shipped?

    And on the topic of Ammo, is a Safe still the best bet to safekeep?

  4. #4
    GT Owner BlackICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area in California
    Posts
    9,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HHGT View Post
    How would that make me a felon if I bought used hand guns? I'm new to all this armory stuff...

    Will we be able to buy and have it shipped?

    And on the topic of Ammo, is a Safe still the best bet to safekeep?
    All guns bought by residents of CA must be go through a CA FFL dealer for paperwork! All guns brought into the state of CA must be CA legal! Go to www.calguns.net. More junk than you want to know there.

    Common safes only slows down the crooks about 30 minutes or less. Good ones that really slow them down weight in excess of 5000 lbs. For small items a good quality floor safe will be the best bang for the buck. Amateurs with a jackhammer would takes hours to get stuff out of a good floor safe mounted in 5000 PSI concrete. But a good locksmith could get in in less than 30 mins if once the safe was located.
    BlackICE

  5. #5
    Spectator on d bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    maricopa az
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HHGT View Post
    I stocked up on 45, 357 & 38 ammo while in Lake Havasu this past week - the new law in CA limiting the amount you can buy will go into effect soon. I asked if I could by any firearms while I was there, and the owner said legally no but their is a loop-hole which would involve me getting a picture ID from a check cashing facility. Interesting!!! Can someone from AZ shed some light on this?

    Also, I saw a couple of guys walking around with guns in holsters and I was surprised. Then I was told the new law just went into effect... http://www.azcentral.com/news/electi...bill16-ON.html
    Even before this law you could walk around with a gun on your hip. The new law states that you can carry a "concealed" weapon without a cc permit legally.

    The big question is can the snowbirds that live in az 3 or 4 months of the year get an az drivers license?
    Michael Munson
    MHP: Complete Drivetrain Tuning

  6. #6
    GT Owner/Moderator ChipBeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    4,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HHGT View Post
    Also, I saw a couple of guys walking around with guns in holsters and I was surprised. Then I was told the new law just went into effect.
    It has always been legal to carry an exposed firearm almost anywhere in AZ. Up until a few months you needed a CCW permit to carry concealed but now anybody can without a permit. I have worn an exposed Colt .45 Commander to work every day for over ten years. I wear it into my bank and into shops and restaurants. Nobody cares nor do I care when customers come into my store wearing a gun.

    Chip
    The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

    Le Mans-2010. All 8 Rallies. Indy '07. Rally to the Rally-'07, '08, '09, '10, '12. Barrett-Jackson-'07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13. Texas Mile-'09, '10, '11 (220.1 MPH). GT Mojave Speed Day, Mojave Mile '12.
    Matech and Robertson Racing LeMans Sponsor.

  7. #7
    ex-GT Owner/ B.o.D
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    14,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by on d bit View Post
    Even before this law you could walk around with a gun on your hip. The new law states that you can carry a "concealed" weapon without a cc permit legally.

    The big question is can the snowbirds that live in az 3 or 4 months of the year get an az drivers license?

    Depending on the state any particular Snowbird lived in, he could have used his own CCW in Az. even B4 this new wrinkle.

    My Wa. St. CCW is honored in Az.
    "…respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours…show respect to all people and grovel to none.” - Tecumseh

  8. #8
    GT Owner BlackICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area in California
    Posts
    9,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Depending on the state any particular Snowbird lived in, he could have used his own CCW in Az. even B4 this new wrinkle.

    My Wa. St. CCW is honored in Az.
    CA doesn't honor any out of state CCW!
    BlackICE

  9. #9

    Default

    You can check "open carry" laws for most places at www.opencarry.org Contrary to popular propaganda its legal to open carry in most if not all states. it is also legal to buy firearms in another state .. its just illegal to ship them to another person. When you TRANSPORT them into California it becomes an issue. I believe there is a case where a collector is challenging the california law with the help of the NRA.

    In some states if you have a CCW it is ILLEGAL to open carry (you lose your CCW). so be aware of this. BTW it is legal to carry a rifle in most states ... just the police can cite you for creating a public nuisance ... which is fairly easy to get kicked out of court. I once was stopped coming back from the range because a person called in with a complaint of a guy with an "Arsenal" in his trunk. Fortunately I knew the LEO and he was registered for the MP5 course I was giving. Or likely I would have been drawn on .. due to this concerned citizens brainwashed concern about "gun safety"

    In short .. guns don't kill people. People kill people .. the gun is just a bystander. Therefore lets outlaw stupid people. we'd all be safer.
    "According to the EPA each of us exhales 5.5 lbs of toxic pollution each day. So if you're green. Do your part.

    Stop breathing!" S592R

  10. #10
    Le Mans 2010 Sponsor Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pahrump, NV
    Posts
    993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackICE View Post
    CA doesn't honor any out of state CCW!
    The ignorance here, (CA) is beyond compare!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •