The insides of the Ford GT transaxle...

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I am having a difficult time posting pictures (not very computer savy) so please bear with me over the next couple of days while I slowly load the pictures of the insides of the Ford GT gearbox.

In 2006 Team STILLEN went to the New Zealand Targa Rally with the now famous orange Ford GT. 2006 was really just a practice year and we only wanted to learn what we could change and what the car would benefit from. During the development of the car Steve Millen spoke directly with many of the engineers from the GT project and learned that during testing there was actually a 3.90 gear ratio developed for the car. We also learned that the main reason the car comes from the factory with the 3.3 is because marketing did not want any of the magazine's messing up the 0-60 times and with the factory gear ratio you don't need to shift until 62 MPH anyways. However, the engineers liked the increased performance of the 3.90.

Well, a couple of years later and after much development with Ricardo, STILLEN became the only company in the world authorized by Ricardo to work on and service the Ford GT transaxle. We worked very closely with Ricardo to develop the 3.90 ring and pinion and after our initial batch came in with a very aggressive cut we had them all sent back out for polishing and grinding to eliminate as much gear whine as possible. Some owner's will notice that some cars (not all) experience a little bit of whine from the factory, the 3.90 is no different. Some cars make the whine, some cars don't.

Part of the development program for the 3.90 included specialized training from the engineer who developed the Ford GT gearbox. He flew in from England and trained our technicians on the ins and outs of the transaxle. How to strip it down, what to look out for, what to be careful of, and how to rebuild it. It was at this time that we learned that we would need to custom fabricate and machine 7 specialized tools in order to properly and safely disassemble the transaxle.

There were 25 sets of ring and pinions made for us. When the initial 25 were sold we went back to Ricardo and asked what it would take to make another 10 and we also asked for a discount as the cost of steel had dramatically gone down. Unfortunately, Ricardo decided they did not want to make them again and required a minimum of 25 pieces, 50% of the money down to start, then another 50% due upon completion and they were going to raise the cost 30%. We did not feel that the market could stand for a 30% mark up on a part that was already pretty pricey. So, unfortunately, for the time being, there are no immediate plans for another production run of ring and pinions.

So, as requested by one of the forum member's. Here are a few pictures of the inside of a Ford GT transaxle. Please keep in mind that I will be posting more pictures over the next couple of days.

To start with: The engineer from Ricardo who trained us on the installation:
39FinalDriveInstall_1b.jpg

Picture of the 3.90 ring and pinion and associated bearings, and shims.
39_Kit.jpg

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Here are some photos of the tear down process...

As you can see the diff comes out first. We disassemble the center section completely and then the back cap comes off.
IMG_9544.jpg

Here is a picture of the diff and ring and pinion sitting on the workbench.
IMG_9545.jpg

This picture shows just the crown wheel.
IMG_9547.jpg

The inside of the transaxle with the diff removed.
IMG_9553.jpg

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The exposed gears with the rear cap off...

IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9554.jpg

Removing first gear:
IMG_9560.jpg

First gear off, exposing some of the very intricate bearings and synchros.
IMG_9562.jpg

Our two trained technicians doing the work...Sorry for the blurry picture.
Sam (in the jacket) has been with us for over 15 years, and Juan on the right has been with us for five or so. Both are very talented guys and have both gone through the Ricardo training process.
IMG_9563.jpg

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The guys continue to teardown the gears and remove everything until all we have left is an empty case:

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9570.jpg

All the gears, synchros, and bearings laid out on the workbench:
IMG_9572.jpg

Now we can remove some more of the internal gears:
IMG_9577.jpg

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Everything off and all that's left is an empty case and parts on the workbench:

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9581.jpg

IMG_9583.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

One of the very cool things about our relationship with Ricardo is that they gave us the computer program that they use to assemble all of the gearboxes so we can make sure that all of the shims are of the correct size and all of the tolerances are perfect. We also have the complete schematics for the gearbox as well. Obviously I'm not going to post up pictures of anything "too sensitive" but here are a few things that I can show.

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9588.jpg

Also this is a guideline of each ring and pinion set. Each ring and pinion were ground together and matched as a "pair." We would input this data along with much, much more into the Ricardo computer program to figure out the correct sizing for the shims and what not:
IMG_9585.jpg

So that's basically it...The Ford GT transaxle from start to finish...

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I want to subscribe to this thread. Those ring and pinion gears are beautiful! :eek

:usa

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I'm just happy as hell I live nearby somebody that practices this Black Art!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am glad I got one the 3.9 gears installed before the inventory ran out! Love the mod!

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I am glad I got one the 3.9 gears installed before the inventory ran out! Love the mod!

Me Too :thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Likewise! Best mod I've made to my GT.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
man I really want to drive a car with the 3.90's I just wana see for myself how it feels, its one thing hearing how great they are from someone, but totally another to feel it for yourself, this was one mod I really wanted to do, but not until I get to drive a car with them on. and I mean drive!! any volunteers? didnt think so:lol

I have an extra tranny just itching for these gears:wink

Aug 25, 2006
Sadly....... there are no more

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
I am having a difficult time posting pictures (not very computer savy) so please bear with me over the next couple of days while I slowly load the pictures of the insides of the Ford GT gearbox.

In 2006 Team STILLEN went to the New Zealand Targa Rally with the now famous orange Ford GT. 2006 was really just a practice year and we only wanted to learn what we could change and what the car would benefit from. During the development of the car Steve Millen spoke directly with many of the engineers from the GT project and learned that during testing there was actually a 3.90 gear ratio developed for the car. We also learned that the main reason the car comes from the factory with the 3.3 is because marketing did not want any of the magazine's messing up the 0-60 times and with the factory gear ratio you don't need to shift until 62 MPH anyways. However, the engineers liked the increased performance of the 3.90.

Well, a couple of years later and after much development with Ricardo, STILLEN became the only company in the world authorized by Ricardo to work on and service the Ford GT transaxle. We worked very closely with Ricardo to develop the 3.90 ring and pinion and after our initial batch came in with a very aggressive cut we had them all sent back out for polishing and grinding to eliminate as much gear whine as possible. Some owner's will notice that some cars (not all) experience a little bit of whine from the factory, the 3.90 is no different. Some cars make the whine, some cars don't.

Part of the development program for the 3.90 included specialized training from the engineer who developed the Ford GT gearbox. He flew in from England and trained our technicians on the ins and outs of the transaxle. How to strip it down, what to look out for, what to be careful of, and how to rebuild it. It was at this time that we learned that we would need to custom fabricate and machine 7 specialized tools in order to properly and safely disassemble the transaxle.

There were 25 sets of ring and pinions made for us. When the initial 25 were sold we went back to Ricardo and asked what it would take to make another 10 and we also asked for a discount as the cost of steel had dramatically gone down. Unfortunately, Ricardo decided they did not want to make them again and required a minimum of 25 pieces, 50% of the money down to start, then another 50% due upon completion and they were going to raise the cost 30%. We did not feel that the market could stand for a 30% mark up on a part that was already pretty pricey. So, unfortunately, for the time being, there are no immediate plans for another production run of ring and pinions.

So, as requested by one of the forum member's. Here are a few pictures of the inside of a Ford GT transaxle. Please keep in mind that I will be posting more pictures over the next couple of days.

To start with: The engineer from Ricardo who trained us on the installation:
39FinalDriveInstall_1b.jpg

Picture of the 3.90 ring and pinion and associated bearings, and shims.
39_Kit.jpg

Hi Kyle

Both Larry and I are still waiting for our CD full of pictures

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
man I really want to drive a car with the 3.90's I just wana see for myself how it feels, its one thing hearing how great they are from someone, but totally another to feel it for yourself, this was one mod I really wanted to do, but not until I get to drive a car with them on. and I mean drive!! any volunteers? didnt think so:lol

I have an extra tranny just itching for these gears:wink

I don't understand, most owners bought their FGT without a test drive, the same with the gears.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Man, I'd love to have a set of those 3.90:1 gears in my car....

I remember way back in the olden days, I switched form 3.23s to 3.91s in my '71 Challenger.... it was night a day difference with no other changes. (and that car only had about 300 HP)

I can only imagine how it would feel in the FGT.

mardyn

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Updated with pics!

Enjoy!

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Very, very cool!! Thanks for sharing!

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks VERY much Kile. I have been waiting for these pictures to show up.
As Bill said please send me the CD.

These cars should have came with this gear ratio in the first place, It's truly a whole differant car, Now what to do with this massive paper weight that was left over?

I guess the secret is out that I got the last set, I can't tell you how much i enjoy seeing my actual tranny opened up with her guts spilled all over the bench.
Im really happy with this mod and would like to take this oppertunity to thank Bill [ Shadowman ] and everyone at Stillin who was involved in the project.

I can report that she is a smooth shifter and whisper quite when traveling down the road and the clutch you offer was a major improvement as well.

I guess that if mine was the 25th one converted that they really knew what they were doing by the time mine came to the operating table. :biggrin

Last edited:

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
When the initial 25 were sold we went back to Ricardo... (they) required a minimum of 25 pieces, 50% of the money down to start, then another 50% due upon completion and they were going to raise the cost 30%.

We did not feel that the market could stand for a 30% mark up on a part that was already pretty pricey.

So, unfortunately, for the time being, there are no immediate plans for another production run of ring and pinions.

You might be surprised.

Why don't you start a "group buy" type of thread, then when and if you get enough folks signed up, collect 50% deposits from each, order the gears from Ricardo, and have 25 more happy customers!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Kile-
Nicely done!
And thanks for giving our owners an appreciation of the complexity and sophistication Ford/Riccardo designed into our transaxle. It is a very comlex piece of machinery and has been shown to be robust enough to take input powers significantly higher than originally designed.

One question-
Other than developing the 3.90 ratio for your orange race car, did your work/knowledge of the original transaxle design lead you to propose any other design improvements/modifications to any of the internal secondary gears or bearings?
Thanks!