Checking Engine Oil

sethgt

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2010
Hi,
I took delivery last night of a white/ blue stripe 2005 Ford GT. 8,000 miles. I live in NJ, and the car was transported from a Lambo dealer in Houston. Took it for a first drive this morning of about 8 miles. The car drives incredibly, but I noticed that the oil pressure gauge sits at zero. I have an appointment Monday morning at an SVT dealer to get a new sending unit installed, and all fluids changed. I had my local mechanic, check the oil level, and to our surprise, it was about an inch to 2 inches higher than the upper hole on the dipstick. I called the dealer, and they said they did not top the car off, and it was always serviced at a Ford SVT dealer. We checked the oil level after we turned the car off for a minute. My appointment is Monday, but I do not want to drive with too much oil, or take out oil if our reading is not correct.

Thanks,
Seth

Aug 25, 2006
At this moment I would relax and enjoy this moment in time; she will be fine.

The gauge or sending unit is likley the culprit however even more so; the oil must be checked with the gal warm and within a minute of turning her off or the level will be skewed.

Takes care

Shadowman

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Congratulations! Where in Jersey are you? We could use a few more north Jersey GT's.

Howard

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Dry sumps regulate the quantity of oil in the engine assembly itself, no?

Congrats!

Mine is due in tomorrow afternoon. Also from Houston but a Porsche dealer instead.

sethgt

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2010
I live in Closter. How about you other north Jersy GT owners. I also have a black BMW Z8.

Thanks,
Seth

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I live in Closter. How about you other north Jersy GT owners. I also have a black BMW Z8.

Thanks,
Seth

Ironic!

Blue with white stripes here and a red over black Z8 :eek

Opposite coast, same politics though. :bored

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
We have at least one other Bergen County GT, two in Passaic County and two or three in Morris County. Will make a great beer run. I'm in Wanaque. Try to save your maintenance and upgrades for the GT Guys, whom we (usually) host in September. I'm happy to offer free advice (and worth every penny).

Howard

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Ironic!

Blue with white stripes here and a red over black Z8 :eek

Opposite coast, same politics though. :bored

Tungsten and a Black/Crema Z8!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Obviously our tastes run very much alike. :biggrin

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
Did anyone go to the Z8 meet in Monterey in 2008?

Joe

sethgt

GT Owner
Mar 30, 2010
GT and Z8

As mentioned above, I just took delivery of an 05 white/ blue stripe GT this past Tuesday. The weather in NJ was 74 and beautiful today, so I finally got to drive for 20 to 30 miles. Wow, the car is better and easier to drive than I hoped. Like a bigger and much more powerful version of my former NSX.
Being an admirer of vintage and timeless designs, and attention to detail, the two cars that really got my attention the past 10 years, have been the BMW Z8 (mine is a 2001 is black/ full crema interior, and the Ford GT. I only wanted a white GT, very 1960's. My original Matchbox and Dinky Ford GT 40's, that I still have in their original boxes, are both white/ blue.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
.......... Like a bigger and much more powerful version of my former NSX..............

Heresy I tell you!!! Heresy:ack

Boomster

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 29, 2016
New Owner in New Jersey

We have at least one other Bergen County GT, two in Passaic County and two or three in Morris County. Will make a great beer run. I'm in Wanaque. Try to save your maintenance and upgrades for the GT Guys, whom we (usually) host in September. I'm happy to offer free advice (and worth every penny).

Howard

I know I am reviving a seven year old post, but I have just purchased a blue/white 2006 FGT from Marv Rose and am looking for recommendations on reliable mechanics in the northern Morris/Bergen/western Passaic county area. I live in Kinnelon and would enjoy meeting up sometime with fellow FGT owners to compare notes and perhaps grab a beer.

Bill

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I am an original owner of an 05 in North Jersey and in over 11 years have yet to come across any reliable mechanics in Bergen and adjacent counties. I usually have the GT Guys work on my car but have also had work done at JDM Engineering in Freehold. An hour and a half drive from north Jersey but well worth the trip. They know the 5.4 aluminum block engine better than anyone as shown by their work on record-setting 08-12 Cobra Jets and treat customer cars like their own.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Hey, Kinnelon, you're across the "street" (Route 23) from me. I'm in Bloomingdale, except for the winter when I'm in Florida with my GT.

Don, is JDM the Ida's? The Ida's do good work in Englishtown. I have no one to recommend in North Jersey. I have my professional maintenance done by the GT Guys or here in Sarasota, Florida. I'll be happy to get together with you, Boomster, when I return to Jersey in May. Meanwhile, stay warm.

Howard

Tomcat

GT Owner
Like a bigger and much more powerful version of my former NSX.

Always loved the Z8 but was waiting for the value to go down like my 850i...no such luck.
There are a number of GT/NSX owners here.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
I spend the Summer at the Shore and would like to join you.

Joe

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Howard,
Who do you use in Sarasota.
Thanks,
Mark

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hey, Kinnelon, you're across the "street" (Route 23) from me. I'm in Bloomingdale, except for the winter when I'm in Florida with my GT.

Don, is JDM the Ida's? The Ida's do good work in Englishtown. I have no one to recommend in North Jersey. I have my professional maintenance done by the GT Guys or here in Sarasota, Florida. I'll be happy to get together with you, Boomster, when I return to Jersey in May. Meanwhile, stay warm.

Howard
Howard,
No they are different shops. JDM Engineering is in Freehold, Ida is in Morganville.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I know it's a long way, but there is a technician named Tim Potts at McCafferty Ford in Langhorne, PA who regularly services 6 or more GTs, including mine.

Knows his stuff and treats the car like it's his own.

He has built several Factory 5 Cobras, including his current absolutely stunning replica Daytona Coupe.

Great guy, and I highly recommend him.