Fuel Filler Fix - solution found and engineered

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
As most of us are aware, a common problem is the fuel filler door (round flapper door that opens) will break. When this happens the filler door breaks in the open position. Then the car will not start. Only solution is to purchase another complete fuel filler assembly from Ford.

So I took the opportunity to come up with a solution while my car is completely apart. I purchased a 2009 Ford F-150 fuel filler assembly to see if it would work. And it did! It worked perfectly!!

Please note that this is not a quick fix. I would like to share all that I have learnt in the process.

Original Ford GT fuel filler before modification.

32748250177_large.jpg

32748250178_large.jpg

Ford GT fuel filler assembly and 2009 Ford F-150 fuel filler assembly before work began.

32748250173_large.jpg

Ford GT fuel filler door removal. Assembly was glued in and therfore needed to come out in pieces.

32748250179_large.jpg

Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
F-150 fuel filler door removal from filler tube assembly. I should note that I had no idea how to take the assembly apart. I made sure to measure and carefully examine how the piece was assembled before making any cuts. Dremmel worked perfect!

32748250174_large.jpg

32748250175_large.jpg

32748250176_large.jpg

32748250180_large.jpg

Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Ford F-150 piece installed into Ford GT fuel filler tube assembly. I sealed the piece with fuel sensor safe silicone.

I was absolutely amazed that the Ford F-150 dimensions were identical to the Ford GT. The F-150 door location was exactly in the same position as the Ford GT's. Plus the installed insertion is exactly the same as the GT's. Everything lined up perfect!

I did not remove the two posts on top of the assembly because they were part of the hinge design. These posts did not change the install height of the assembly and it fit flush up against the flange under the fender.

32748250182_large.jpg

32748250183_large.jpg

Fuel filler installed into the Ford GT.

32748250185_large.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great job.

Now can you turn your attention to replacement tachs and headlights? :biggrin

Reactions: Natee

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
very well done, great info. thanks for sharing.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
How about a cork?

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Excellent to know this, thanks!

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the comments guys. :thumbsup

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
How about a Cork????
This may be the quickest "fix" !!!

Would it work?

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I'm sorry, is the GT part no longer available? Not sure I understand the need to mod the F150 part. Is the GT part too expensive or is the F150 part more robust? Thanks for taking the time to post details as I'm probably out of warranty.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm sorry, is the GT part no longer available? Not sure I understand the need to mod the F150 part. Is the GT part too expensive or is the F150 part more robust? Thanks for taking the time to post details as I'm probably out of warranty.

The idea is that the GT part is a potentially/probable/likely reoccurring pblm. The F150 part isn't. :wink

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
The idea is that the GT part is a potentially/probable/likely reoccurring pblm. The F150 part isn't. :wink

100% Correct :thumbsup

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
How common is this problem?

I have a 2010 Ford as well and the "capless" filler is wonderful. MUCH better design, IMO, than the GT.

Of course they had 5 years to improve it!

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Shadowman would probably know if this is a "common" problem. I also understand that Shadowman has designed a solution for this problem that incorporates a fuel cap.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I'm still going to try the cork if it happens to me.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Just for interest sake does anyone know the prices for the 2 units?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Legs, do you want it in Canadian or American $?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
spddmnjay:

What type sealer did you use and how well has it held up thus far?

Aug 25, 2006
spddmnjay:

What type sealer did you use and how well has it held up thus far?

I would speculate that it was typical RTV and service life should be long; vapors within would be my only minor concern; meaning the vapors within eating at the RTV. If this approach is to be used there are many alternate bonding agents that would eliminate this concern.

spddmujay did a great job of this finding and adapting this solution and in saying this I can share first hand he likes to tinker with his gals as such for some, maybe many this will be the direction to take however IMO the best solution is a tradition fuel cap located under the OEM flap; this would allow for the ease of filling, the use of alternate fuels typically filled by jug, and it would never fail.

So will your fuel filler neck fail; IMO yes if you drive your gal. It is not a matter of if but rather when.

Takes care

Shadowman

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I would speculate that it was typical RTV and service life should be long; vapors within would be my only minor concern; meaning the vapors within eating at the RTV. If this approach is to be used there are many alternate bonding agents that would eliminate this concern.

spddmujay did a great job of this finding and adapting this solution and in saying this I can share first hand he likes to tinker with his gals as such for some, maybe many this will be the direction to take however IMO the best solution is a tradition fuel cap located under the OEM flap; this would allow for the ease of filling, the use of alternate fuels typically filled by jug, and it would never fail.

So will your fuel filler neck fail; IMO yes if you drive your gal. It is not a matter of if but rather when.

Takes care

Shadowman

Bill - I like the traditional cap solution. Is this something you have engineered and will be making available for sale?