Best Way to Repair Chip in Console?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Unfortunately while in TX last week, a non-GT owner (most owner's are aware of this potiental damage) put a nice sized chip on the driver's side of my console with a seat belt.

What is the best way to repair this?

Jeff

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Upgrade to a CF Center Console?

(half jokingly, but half serious)

That way, when you look at it, you'll never be bummed out.

Sorry to hear about the damage.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Shadowman is going to cringe!

How about filling it with Bondo, sanding and repainting?

Aug 25, 2006
Upgrade to a CF Center Console?

(half jokingly, but half serious)

That way, when you look at it, you'll never be bummed out.

Sorry to hear about the damage.

IMG_97351copy.jpg

I feel certain that properly prepared it could then be clear coated and then color sanded and buffed.

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
ghost, you're probably best off pulling the console and taking to a good paint shop. Paint codes are listed here on the Forum, but if you need them, let me know. Frank

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm not the artsy type, so I was hoping for an easy fix. :lol
Mechanical stuff is fine for me, but I have no patience.

Frank, I would guess if I had to pull it out to repair it, I would definitely be tempted to make the switch suggested above. I'd be half way there at that point.

I'll probably just try to minimze it's presence for now until I can attack it properly this winter, since unlike the CA/FL guys, it will just be hibernating before long.

Jeff

Aug 25, 2006
Unfortunately while in TX last week, a non-GT owner (most owner's are aware of this potiental damage) put a nice sized chip on the driver's side of my console with a seat belt.

Jeff

Jeff

I came back to this thread because I may not have been clear; is your console OEM silver or the cabon fiber version?

If the OEM version spot painting it is relatively easy once it is removed and as shared if the carbon fiber version by Kip then careful prep and clear coat will solve most issues.

If I can help let me know

Takes care

Shadowman

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Jeff - Shadowman gave me the paint codes before when I had something touched up on my black car's interior. They were a spot on match. It's not too hard to remove the console - heck I did it. Could be a less than 1 hr job to remove, then bring to painter.
Of course, if you are like me, the day after you touch it up, someone else will scratch it...

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Jeff

I came back to this thread because I may not have been clear; is your console OEM silver or the cabon fiber version?

If the OEM version spot painting it is relatively easy once it is removed and as shared if the carbon fiber version by Kip then careful prep and clear coat will solve most issues.

If I can help let me know

Takes care

Shadowman

It is the OE console. Just wanted to make sure I prepped it properly and used the right filler prior to painting. Thanks for the offer.

Jeff - Shadowman gave me the paint codes before when I had something touched up on my black car's interior. They were a spot on match. It's not too hard to remove the console - heck I did it. Could be a less than 1 hr job to remove, then bring to painter.
Of course, if you are like me, the day after you touch it up, someone else will scratch it...

You right, it's probably a revolving door that will for ever be an on going issue.

From now on, everyone will just have to ride buck naked!!:biggrin
On second thought, maybe not. Would definitely have to rethink my passenger list.
Jeff

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
To protect areas exposed to this kind of damage I had pieces of invisaguard made and installed. If you contact Mike at Autotrimdesign he probably saved the patterns he made from my car.

AJK

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
To protect areas exposed to this kind of damage I had pieces of invisaguard made and installed. If you contact Mike at Autotrimdesign he probably saved the patterns he made from my car.

AJK

+ 1 on Clear bra

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

Jeff

carefully remove it from a car, put it in a shipping box, put shadowmans address on it, pay the appropriate fee, then wait for two weeks, you'll be amazed at the results!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
carefully remove it from a car, put it in a shipping box, put shadowmans address on it, pay the appropriate fee, then wait for two weeks, you'll be amazed at the results!

Most often that is the easiest way to get the job done right the 1st time.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have to second that. My typical alternative is:
spend 2 hrs thinking about it
then 2 hrs researching it on the forum
then 1 hr on the phone getting advice
then 3 hrs doing a project that takes others 30 min
then 2 hrs running back and from the store to get what I forgot the first time
then 3 weeks being aggravated how I inevitably screwed something up

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
+ 1 on Clear bra

I have this on my "to do list" as well. Just need to find someone in the area I can trust to do it.

Jeff

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
In the process of removing my center console to install some wires to an extra boost sensor to go with my Speedhut gauges (with 20 psi boost gauge, which requires a separate sensor), I managed to nick the console next to the driver's knee with the corner of the radio (yeah, I had a towel on the console and blue tape, but the edges of the radio are sharp and managed to poke through the towel).

I'm going to the dealer today to see if I can get a touch-up stick in Super Silver. Any other suggestions? And, yes, I plan to apply clear bra over it when I'm done. Hell, I sometimes I think I'll clear-bra the whole interior...

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Let me know how that works out. I have 2 hair like scratches bugging me. Didn't realize the seat belt might be the culprit.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Let me know how that works out. I have 2 hair like scratches bugging me. Didn't realize the seat belt might be the culprit.

In my case, it was a driving instructor throwing the large buckle for my race belts out of his way. With that being said, I guess you could hit the console with the male tab as you go to insert it in to the buckle, if it is in that area.

I guess I leaned more towards Mitchell's view in the fact that it would probably have something else happen in the future, so I've learned to not focus on it, but rather out the windshield as I enjoy putting miles on the car. Maybe I'll get around to it some day.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Talk to GTGuys for paint match. You won't find it anyplace.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Talk to GTGuys for paint match. You won't find it anyplace.

That's the next place to check. The dealer didn't have it, and only showed two shades of black for interior paints in the GT. I suppose I could take the console to a local auto paint supplier and ask them to color match it...